+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garth Brooks

Patrons
    Thanks

Garth Brooks

Right- missus wanted tickets- I thought she didnt really care but tried online and was unsuccessful.

Afterwards she was pretty upset, apparently I unerestimated how much she wantedto see GB.

Anyway- with tickets going on sale tomorrow morning for the 4th gig, anyone know some small corner place where I could get tickets without queuing all night?

Patrons
    Thanks
    try elverys in blanch apparently they have a ticketmaster one of the girls in the job got One Direction in there and said there was no que.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    'The missus', yeah. Funny how EVERYONE is buying tickets for this on behalf of someone else.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Patrons
    Thanks
    If it was Garth Crooks, I might understand, but...........

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    'The missus', yeah. Funny how EVERYONE is buying tickets for this on behalf of someone else.
    Shurrup Gaz.... finally an escuse to wear the cowboy hat and spurs outside with clothing on!

Thanks
    im happy to say im looking for tkts for myself feck the missus
    any spares ???

Patrons
    Thanks
    Just got 2 tickets for 5th date- Cowboy Hat, Spurs and Dolly Parton Fake boobs at the ready!

Ian Gilzean
    Thanks
    I can't understand this sudden Garth Brooks mania at all

Just saw this comment on the rte.ie site:

>toaster · 41 minutes ago

>What the hell is wrong with people in this country!!! I bet most of the people are >just jumping on the bandwagon and at most know 3 of his songs..
    >It's almost as if this whole Garth Brooks thing is a craze... Culchie mania!!!!!!

Whatever turns you on I suppose.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Republic For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic View Post
    I can't understand this sudden Garth Brooks mania at all
    It's not really sudden. He sold out a ton of nights here before. He just hasn't toured since the late 90s.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Definitely a band wagon here, people going because of the hype around the gigs. Fair play to him though, making a nice few quid and puts on a great show apparently

Patrons
    Thanks
    Firstly so that my street cred doesnt fall any lower- I have no interest in GB at all- but my missus does and she is happy now.

People forget that Gath Brooks has sold more records than Michael Jackson, the radio were saying that there is a Dublin/culchie thing aswell with Gb being really popular outside the pale.

Also dont underestimate the international interest, I reckon a huge % of sales will go international, he ahsnt yet announced tours of anywhere else in Europe.

Then there is the "for the craic" brigade - at €60 its probably one of the better value concerts and you will probably know a good few of his songs (most people would sing alot of his songs not knowing he is the artist)

I am still shocked that he has sold nearly 400,000 tickets though! I'd say Aiken promotions and the GAA are doing hoops!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Oh- and I'm delighted he added dates- its a real fuck you to the touts (and the wannabe touts) who have bought 6-12 tickets when they only need 2/3 (or none)

So many people trying to flog tickets for 2-400 each and now they are trading for near face value.

Thanks
    Apparently, most flight prices from the states that week have gotten very saucy.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    10% of the population want to see Garth Brooks....beggars belief....Now if it was Pats......

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dinnylowry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    still no tkts so if anyone hears of any dm me
    also on the 10% comment don't forget a lot of people would be too old or too young for him so the stats between 25-50 im sure a very high .....and rightly so

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
    still no tkts so if anyone hears of any dm me
    also on the 10% comment don't forget a lot of people would be too old or too young for him so the stats between 25-50 im sure a very high .....and rightly so
    Has the 5th day go on sale yet?

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    People forget that Gath Brooks has sold more records than Michael Jackson.
    They don't 'forget', they just know that he hasn't. Brooks has sold more in America but is unknown in most of the world, everyone knows who MJ was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._music_artists

Then there is the "for the craic" brigade - at €60 its probably one of the better value concerts and you will probably know a good few of his songs (most people would sing alot of his songs not knowing he is the artist)

I am still shocked that he has sold nearly 400,000 tickets though! I'd say Aiken promotions and the GAA are doing hoops!
    It's the age old 'Event Junkie' thing. If he'd announced 5 dates in the National (Boxing) Stadium you'd probably have had 20-30,000 applications for tickets.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    They don't 'forget', they just know that he hasn't. Brooks has sold more in America but is unknown in most of the world, everyone knows who MJ was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._music_artists

It's the age old 'Event Junkie' thing. If he'd announced 5 dates in the National (Boxing) Stadium you'd probably have had 20-30,000 applications for tickets.
    btw gaz you fall into that over 50s category so obviously you've no interest !!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mad dog For This Useful Post:

Gaz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    has the 5th day go on sale yet?
    sold out dodge

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mad dog For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    The obsession with people about people going to this is mad! People do what they enjoy and good enough for them!

If there's a couple of frees going I'll take em
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    The obsession with people about people going to this is mad! People do what they enjoy and good enough for them!
    The thing is is that his popularity has seemed to come out of nowhere. I've never heard anyone ever profess anything but hatred for the man until this gig had been announced. Country and Western is a terrible genre anyway with only a tiny handful of respectable acts. Brooks is probably the worst of the worst. If Johnny Cash was still alive and announced a gig I doubt there'd be as much of a furore despite him being an infinitely better artist.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrtankthreat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Never heard of the chap. Presumed it was the Xfactor lad, but that's Gareth Gates apparently.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    26.7 million he's taking in from the 5 dates, I heard on the radio. Not sure if that's dollars or euro but I'd assume dollars. I don't understand it myself. Daycent songwriter alright but his popularity really does seem to have come out of nowhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    The thing is is that his popularity has seemed to come out of nowhere. I've never heard anyone ever profess anything but hatred for the man until this gig had been announced. .
    But that's your circle of friends. They wouldn't hate him if he wasn't popular.

Its been a while since he was releasing stuff but every album he released went platinum here multiple times. Every concert he's ever had here was sold out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Fences
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropin%27_the_Wind
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cha...h_Brooks_album)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Pieces

He's not my bag, but no one can deny he was popular here. Add a few event junkies and it's not really a surprise to see the tickets sell

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    But that's your circle of friends. They wouldn't hate him if he wasn't popular.
    I wasn't just talking about my circle of friends. I was trying to be as general as I could. I have never heard anyone talk about Garth Brooks in a positive way other than "I've got friends in low places" is an ok song. Besides I now have people in my circle of friends who are now going to the gig. I don't begrudge the guy success or anyone for enjoying his show I just think his popularity has come from nowhere all of a sudden. There's other acts I could think of who I don't particularly like but where I could understand an interest of the level Brooks is now getting, I just don't get his current appeal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    I wasn't just talking about my circle of friends. I was trying to be as general as I could. I have never heard anyone talk about Garth Brooks in a positive way other than "I've got friends in low places" is an ok song. Besides I now have people in my circle of friends who are now going to the gig. I don't begrudge the guy success or anyone for enjoying his show I just think his popularity has come from nowhere all of a sudden. There's other acts I could think of who I don't particularly like but where I could understand an interest of the level Brooks is now getting, I just don't get his current appeal.
    The current appeal is he hasnt played here since 1997 back then he aold out ans nowvhes back his live cds and dvds have all had all or parts of his croke park gigs in them. I dont get why people dont get just how popular he is

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Isn't he the second biggest ever selling artist behind a well know musician Elvis?

Patrons
    Thanks
    as Gaz said above Worldwide is #12 in the top selling artists ever (behind Michael Jackson and...eh Mariah Carey)

However in the US market he is the 3rd highest ever (Behind Elvis & the Beatles - but ahead of Michael Jackson and ... eh Mariah Carey)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Thanks
    as Gaz said above Worldwide is #12 in the top selling artists ever (behind Michael Jackson and...eh Mariah Carey)

However in the US market he is the 3rd highest ever (Behind Elvis & the Beatles - but ahead of Michael Jackson and ... eh Mariah Carey)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
    And yet if he takes his hat off he can go largely unnoticed, puts it on and he's mobbed, he's like a country Clark Kent.

Thanks
    TKTS sorted lower Hogan for the sunday yeeehaaaaa

+ Reply to Thread