+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: London

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts

London

Lads I'm goin London in 2 weeks for a couple of days. Anyone recommend anything to do? Haven't been since I was very young. Is the London Eye worth going on?
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Banned
    Thanks
    Go see Camden Market its fuckin deadly well worth the visit and get the Oyster card when yer there for unlimited travel

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    The walk along the Thames from Big Ben up to Tower Bridge is great, do it as a lazy stroll over a couple of hours. Piccadilly Circus is best seen after dark. Some good pubs and clubs up around Leicester Square and up towards Drury Lane where all the shows are. Some of these are deadly (stuff like The Producers or the Monty Python ones - it isn't all Hello Dolly shit) and is something you can't really do over here.

Haven't been on the London Eye - 30 quid to go up and down on a big wheel isn't my idea of value.
    Last edited by Gaz; 24th August 2010 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Yeah pubs around Leicester Square are really good. Great spot for a weekend

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Get the train to Vicarage Road

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antomorro View Post
    Get the train to Vicarage Road
    I know yous are shit Anto but I don't think I'd be good enough now!

Thanks
    Madame Tussauds is good enough I suppose, worth a visit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Enjoyed the London eye when I went on it. Don't think it was that expensive. Takes about half an hour

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Just go for walk and take it all in. One of the best cities on the planet. Underrated by Irish people cause it's so close. It has a fabulous history.

Imperial war museum is great if you like that type of thing. Lived in London in the 80s and as someone up the thread said you gotta do Camden market on a Sunday morning. Take in a game of ball, soho, tower of London, I could go on all night. easily as diverse as New York, A brilliant city if you do it correctly.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Imperial war museum is amazing!

If you want some good food I reccomend ramsays "maze grill" it's a steak house and is awesome!- another place is Pierre victoire, can't remember what road it's on but it can be googles, food is great and reasonable, great atmosphere.

Go see a show- we will rock you is good fun and easy to watch.

Thanks
    the British museum is fantastic if you can help gritting your teeth and think of all the stuff they robbed from their former colonies. Tower of London is great but crown jewels are kinds like British museum.

If any of the horror show things are on in Maddam Tussauds then defo go to it.

Best bit of advice is what Muppet said - talk a walk around and just drop in places, loads of good little bars and try all the local and micro brews

Patrons
    Thanks
    Hate the pubs around the West End myself - a lot of them are tourist traps and highly overpriced. Just be aware of that if you're in the area, as you probably will be!

The South Bank is awesome - Tate Modern is free to visit (except for the special exhibits which are usually excellent) and definitely worth a browse. I dragged three unwilling friends there and we ended up staying most of the day, they loved it. It's just a nice area to walk around. The London Eye, Aquarium, London Dungeon, British Film Institute, and a few theatres (the National and the Old and Young Vic) are all in that area as well. Walk across the bridge from the Tate to St. Paul's Cathedral, great piece of history.

The Brick Lane area is the place for Indian food, and it's a nice alternative if you're doing any shopping away from the high street - a lot of artists and independent shops are based around there. I personally love Camden, would be much more likely to go for a drink in that area myself - it's a bit more posh than it used to be, granted, and not as 'alternative', but still great regardless. And the Market is always worth a visit. Another great area to hang about is Bayswater, near Notting Hill - lots of ethnic restaurants in the area that are quite cheap, good pubs, lots of hostels in the area as well if you're looking for somewhere good to base yourself.

Never been to Madame Tussauds so can't give a verdict on that one. The Tower of London was alright but quite expensive for the price. Don't go expecting to stay for an hour or so - there's a hell of a lot to see on that site, give it close to a full day if you want to get value out of it (and I paid student price, it was still pricey enough).

I'd always recommend going to the theatre, there's lots available at different prices. The Royal Court shows new plays, generally of a great standard, and have very affordable tickets - they're based right beside Sloane Square station (Chelsea). I think you can get a standing ticket for something like 10p an hour before the play - okay, you have to stand, but 10p! As for musicals, good choices for a bunch of lads to see would be Avenue Q (hilarious, and it's closing in October, so worth catching it now), Jersey Boys (if you're into 50s rock 'n' roll it's a must), Les Misérables (just the greatest musical, ever). Tickets can be pricey for some of these but you can get good discounts if you go to the TKTS desk in Leicester Square, and there are great discounts and theatre guides on theatremonkey.com if you're trying to get the best value you can. Most theatres offer student discounts an hour or two before a show, if you show up at the box office.

Regarding the football, I've not been to a match in the Emirates myself, but just walking around the place, it's huge. It more or less spans the distance between two underground stations - you go to a different one depending on what side of the ground you're leaving. Think tours are quite pricey but I'd recommend one, you get to see an awful lot. Book it a while in advance though.

It's probably my favourite city in the world (and I'm probably going to end up making the move sooner or later) - whatever you'll do you'll enjoy it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, I'd highly recommend the London dungeon.
    Go early as you might have to queue for it but great craic

Thanks
    I love Camden, there is just a buzz about the place. The brixton academy (south london, I think) is a great spot for a gig, so have a look see if there is someone on while you are there.
    Eat in Nando's. Its savage over there. Not like the gruel they sell here.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintmaniac View Post
    Regarding the football, I've not been to a match in the Emirates myself, but just walking around the place, it's huge. It more or less spans the distance between two underground stations - you go to a different one depending on what side of the ground you're leaving. Think tours are quite pricey but I'd recommend one, you get to see an awful lot. Book it a while in advance though.

At least he'll be able to wear his red 'n' white hat if he goes to the Emirates!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antomorro View Post
    At least he'll be able to wear his red 'n' white hat if he goes to the Emirates!
    No, he'd be absolutely battered.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No, he'd be absolutely battered.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Patrons
    Thanks
    little box beside the london eye where you can buy ticket bundles for the eye, maddam tussauds, sealife and an array of other shit at reduced prices. drury lane theater is well worth a go.

Banned
    Thanks
    Few good travel sites

www.virtualtourist.com
    www.wikitravel.org which has a rake of info on it

Thanks
    Typical, night I arrive in London and there's a bloody Tube strike , have to walk everywhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Robbie View Post
    Typical, night I arrive in London and there's a bloody Tube strike , have to walk everywhere.
    They have buses Robbie don't panic!.

Thanks
    Bus service is great over there Robbie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Bus service is great over there Robbie
    Really? I'm brutal with directions. If I got a bus somewhere wouldn't know how to get back! Cheers anyway I'll try it later

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Robbie View Post
    Really? I'm brutal with directions. If I got a bus somewhere wouldn't know how to get back! Cheers anyway I'll try it later
    Eh get the same number bus from the other side of the road! They're big red yokes you can't miss them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Eh get the same number bus from the other side of the road! They're big red yokes you can't miss them.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for one

Banned
    Thanks

London

Anyone know of any good cheap decent hotels?

Thanks
    www.generatorhostels.com/en/london

I stayed here 2 weeks ago. Around €20 a night for a shared dorm. Decent bar aswell

Banned
    Thanks
    Cheers mate, stayed in the one in Berlin at the Europa League game, great spot !

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Lads im heading to London in a months time just looking for any good advice, I have read over the thread and it looks good, Think i am staying in the same place you stayed Robbie, whats it Like? and is it in a good location? Its a lads weekend so basically will be on the piss all weekend where is the best place for nightlife?

Cheers in advance
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    where is the best place for nightlife?

Some great bars/clubs around Leicester Square

+ Reply to Thread