+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cheltenham festival 2012

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 616 Posts

cheltenham festival 2012

Anyone has any ideas about tomorrow going to avoid Sprinter Sacre in Arkle Chase the last two times PP has done a special the horse flopped , Dunguid for instance.Its the kiss of death.Ill go for Cue Card.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Al Ferof would be the horse I would go for if he wasnt as short a price as he is. Going to go for the quevega and Hurricane Fly double. Ackertac in the last race of the day, I think he will overturn form with Triolo D'Alene.

Also going to do Hold on Julio (was impressed with him at sandown,he also seems to be an improving horse which is a good thing in this race) and Billie Magern each-way (Decent price and has an decent record around Cheltenham, more than likely wont win but could be placed) in the 2 40.

Avoiding the Supreme novice (Darlan the favourite is good enough but he has to recover from a heavy fall last time out, Steps to Freedom has been off since November and Cinders and Ashes hasnt beaten very much in his wins). Not sure about the Cross-Country (Was thinking Uncle Junior but he is top weight, Dont think Scotsirish will stay the full distance,)

Thanks
    I am hearing great things about Steps to Freedom in the Supreme Novices tomorrow.
    Also Monkland in the Neptune on Wednesday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    For today, an E/W Super Yankee:

1:30 Tetlami @ 10/1
    2:40 Tullamore Dew @ 12/1
    3:20 Binocular @ 9/2
    4:00 ScotsIrish @ 10/3
    5:15 That'll Do @ 14/1

Also a Fiver win double on Binocular & ScotsIrish

Patrons
    Thanks
    Any views on the Handicap Chase was going for Our Mick with Jason Maguire on but one or two more catching my eye

Thanks
    This thread is a good example of how difficult it can be for punters at the festival with so many different options, particularly in the novices and the handicaps.

I'm expecting the big 3 to win today. If Sprinter Sacre struggles then Menorah could be the one there. Hurrican Fly's main threat will be Binocular - he nearly didn't run when he won two years ago so if he's 100% he could challenge him but Fly is a machine. Quivega too should win the mares race handy - best bet for me is What a Charm, 33/1 each way or 14/1 w/o the favourite.

The interesting thing about the Supreme Novices is the jockey choice. Ruby has picked Prospect Wells while Davy Russell chose Trifolium over Midnight Game. If Midnight Game hadn't done a bad bit of work last Wednesday he's be 7 or 8s but he's drifted to 16s. He's still classy if they get him right. Loads could win this but I've gone for an outsider in Distant Memories for Tom Taffe.

Of the other three races I've gone for Magnanimity, Dancing Tornado and Harpsy Chord.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Supreme - Went with Montbazon
    Arkle - Backed Menorah at 17/1 in December. Not hugely confident about his chances but then nor would I be piling into Sprinter Sacre at the prices so happy enough to leave it at that.
    JLT - These races are a bit of a lottery but I went with Tullamore Dew.
    CH - Don't see the Fly getting beaten. Backed Overturn each way ages ago as I think he's underrated and had a small win stake on him too at 70.0 on Betfair (back when the Fly's participation looked in doubt). PP were offering a Hurricane Fly/Quevega/Big Buck's treble at 7/2 last Friday so I took that, so I've two running for me. Agree that Binocular at his very best could be the biggest challenger but he hasn't put two good races together for about 3 years so I couldn't have him at that price.
    Cross Country - While Mullins suddenly taking this seriously has to be respected, at the weights I think Sizing Australia is the value bet.
    Mares Hurdle - No bet race, hopefully my treble is still running and Quevega takes it along to Thursday.
    Novice Handicap Chase - A bit of a lottery but at a price I think Dessie Hughes' White Star Line is interesting, has decent form behind the likes of Sir Des Champs, First Lieutenant and Hidden Cyclone. As a rule I don't back Irish horses in handicaps at the Festival but while he's up 7 pounds on his Irish rating that figure was more plucked out of the air rather than proven by experience.

Good luck everybody!

Patrons
    Thanks
    have no idea about this racing but am going to have a few small bets today, everyone i talked to said to back hurrican fly as if it was some sort of tip then i seen its favourite, any long shot each way tips?
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    A mate of mine was at a Cheltenham preview at Leopardstown last week. Willie Mullins spoke and said that Boston Bob will not lose in Cheltenham. Ruby told Willie to enter into the Albert Bartlett and it wont lose.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts
    Help
    Did a lucky 15 but last horse is now a non runner
    What happens ?
    Does it become a patent or is non runner = loser
    It's wit pp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Help
    Did a lucky 15 but last horse is now a non runner
    What happens ?
    Does it become a patent or is non runner = loser
    It's wit pp
    That non runner is a loser.

Edit- was it under starters orders? Void bets if it wasn't and the patent stands.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts
    Non runner since last night so presume void

Thanks
    Alfie sherrin form PF75 ,I fucking hate Cheltenham

Patrons
    Thanks
    Garde champetre & scotsirish were both put down sad end to two decent horses , had a tough first day but id say I'm not the only who one got hit by hurricane fly
    Last edited by D.24saint; 13th March 2012 at 07:56 PM.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Yeah Hurricane Fly losing was a bit of a pain. Just didnt quicken well enough. Shame also about the 3 horses being killed as well.

No luck for me on the betting side of things today. Billie Magern and Ackertac ran ok just not good enough. Hold on Julio was quite dissapointing.

Only 2 so far for me for tomoro. Teaforthree in the first race and Join Together in the RSA. Avoiding the Neptune as the horse I was fancing Fingal Bay isnt going. Sizing Europe should win but is too short. Might have a small amount each-way on one in the Coral Cup maybe Star of Angels. Also avoiding the Fred Winter and the Champion Bumper.

Thanks
    Ive heard word foe monkland in the Neptune, but thats the same source that gave me Steps to freedom.

Thanks
    Day Two I'm on the following:

1.30 Soll (EW)
    2.05 Make Your Mark
    2.40 First Lieutenant
    3.20 Realt Dubh (without Sizing Europe)
    4.00 Final Approch (EW) & Featherbed Lane (EW)

Reserving my position on the last two but got a tip for Royal Guardsman in the Champion Bumper from somebody who is ordinarily quite good.

Thanks

Patrons
    Thanks
    Did ok on day two first lieutenant let me down was waiting on him for three winners on a lucky 15

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Well Teaforthree won so I was happy with that. The Queen Mother was a farce. It should have been a lot clear whether the fence was to be bypassed or not. Also had a small bit on Son of Flicka as well so overall I was happy today.

For tomoro I like the look of Albertas Run in the Ryanair. Has a good record at Cheltenham and will like the ground is a decent price at 9/1. Also a fan of Hectors Choice in the 4 00. Ran well in the RP chase at Kempton and is in good form. Might also have a bit of Dynaste each-way in the World hurdle. Big Bucks should win but he has put it up to Big Bucks in his last 2 races. Will avoid the Pertempes. Well probably pick something in the bookies for the Jewson and the Kim Muir.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Have a feeling Thousand Stars will give Big Buck's the race of his life. He's a class horse and was won a French Champion Hurdle over 3m 2f, so shouldn't have any problem staying.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    For Tomorrow I have both Darroun and Hollow tree for the Triumph. Boston Bob for the Albert Bartlret. Have also a small bit each-wayon Boxer Georg for the foxhunters. So Willie Mullins better have a good day tomorrow.

The Gold Cup is the centre piece of the day and of the entire meeting. Im finding it impossible to choose a horse in the race as there is positives and negatives about each one. Apart from Long Run and Kauto Star none of the others look classy enough. Kauto has age and a schooling fall to overcome. Long Run has been beaten by Kauto twice this year and jumping isnt particularly great. Henderson is in great form so that might be enough for Long Run. Burton Port is quite interesting but will have to avoid the bounce factor.

Thanks
    Long run for me. Although I havent had a winner in the Gold cup since Denman, nothing lasts forever.

Thanks
    Gone for Burton Port in main race today, and Boston Bob before that

Patrons
    Thanks
    Doing both of them myself Burton Port went close v Long Run in Newbury in Feb fancy him to beat him and Kauto today dont fancy Kauto great horse but think its the bookies playing on people sentimentality this time around.Going for McCoy in the last with Kid Cassidy be shocked if he left the festival without a winner.

Thanks
    McCoy hasn't left without a winner anyway..................

I'm on Boston Bob and Long Run double.

It will be bittersweet if Boston Bob wins though as he was in my five timer and only Hurrican Fly hasn't come in on it.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Hate criticiseing jockeys but Rubys ride on Boston Bob was poor. He was too far back and used too much energy to get there. The winner did well tho.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Ataglance at 20-1 saved my bacon just about broke even but happy to do so today was tough going

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Hate criticiseing jockeys but Rubys ride on Boston Bob was poor. He was too far back and used too much energy to get there. The winner did well tho.
    Was on Boston Bob too but couldn't agree with that. Watched the race again just now and it confirmed what I'd initially thought - that Boston Bob didn't travel well. Ruby had him within six lengths of the winner at the third last, so I don't accept that he left him too much to do. Looked to me like he'd prefer softer ground* but in saying that I wouldn't be surprised if this works out to have been a strong renewal.

*When Howard Johnson got banned, the Wylies pared their string of horses down to 20. They sent the ones they thought needed softer ground (7 in total) to Willie Mullins to take advantage of the prevailing ground over here and the rest to Paul Nicholls. The fact that Boston Bob was in the former group was always a concern in the back of my mind going to Cheltenham. Ruby and Willie expressed the opinion that he'd be better on good ground but I think they were basing that on his pedigree. Horses by Bob Back tend to prefer good ground but there are exceptions (like Dessie Hughes' Rare Bob, who hates it) and he may be more comfortable on soft. Time will tell. He's clearly a chaser in waiting anyway.

Can't extend the same defence of a jockey to Sam Waley Cohen. Really felt he threw away the Gold Cup between the end of this first circuit and the third last by not pushing Long Run on when he was travelling sweetly and everything else was sending out distress signals. By letting Long Run dawdle along behind two handicappers running flat to the boards, he let everything behind him get a second wind and mount a challenge up the hill, which was always going to be a problem for Long Run as he's pretty one paced. Just doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes - if I were Henderson I'd keep it nice and simple for him by telling him to get Long Run out front after a circuit and push him along until he comes off the bridle - he'd have been 15-20 lengths up on these yesterday had he done that and would've had the race put to bed. Fair play to Johnjo, JP and Ap (it's as close to an Irish success as we've had since War Of Attrition) but it's shocking that a horse can put in a run I'd rate in the 160's and win a Gold Cup pretty comfortably.

+ Reply to Thread