+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Cert Results

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Good advice here lads. My leaving cert year was the worst of my life. 2 people very close to me died, I lost all enthusiasm for anything academic. My results weren't awful but not what I needed to get into Uni. Skip 6 years after that and I had numerous certs, 3 diplomas, 1 degree (1st) and a Masters degree (1st). The best part was working in the industry I wanted to. The leaving cert is only a starting point to a career or to further education. As was pointed out earlier on it matter what you do NOW that really counts. To use earlier advice also, if anyone brags about getting a billion points in the leaving bang his mrs in front of him...then point the index finger in the style of a gun and say "Biology 101 bitch"

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebtheithegthegthey View Post
    Good advice here lads. My leaving cert year was the worst of my life. 2 people very close to me died, I lost all enthusiasm for anything academic. My results weren't awful but not what I needed to get into Uni. Skip 6 years after that and I had numerous certs, 3 diplomas, 1 degree (1st) and a Masters degree (1st). The best part was working in the industry I wanted to. The leaving cert is only a starting point to a career or to further education. As was pointed out earlier on it matter what you do NOW that really counts. To use earlier advice also, if anyone brags about getting a billion points in the leaving bang his mrs in front of him...then point the index finger in the style of a gun and say "Biology 101 bitch"
    Good going mate, always good to hear stories like that ....Thats some ammount of hard work. I have three certs myself was never able for the degree!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    I had to choose my classes for UCD just there today. Dreading it, have done no academic work since May 2009 and have to do well to get my low GPA up. Hopefully there's a few more Saints in UCD next year with me and Antomorro. We can setup the PatsSociety :-D
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebtheithegthegthey View Post
    Thats it - a friend of mine totally fucked up his LC and his CAO - got 130 points and was depressed for weeks.

He did a PLC in Dundrum, then 12 months later got accepted into teh second year of DIT degree course that req'd over 400 points.

He is now 27 and earns just shy of 6 figures a year with a large multi national firm...the bastard!

My other mate who TOTALLY fucked up his leaving cert is now a garda - so if all else fails, there is always someone who'll have ya...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post

My other mate who TOTALLY fucked up his leaving cert is now a garda..
    Moral of the story, don't fuck up your leaving cert

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    i done 5th year 3 times (kept getting kicked out) eventually got to do me leaving and passed it, scratched me arse for a few years and then went into college

doesnt matter in the slightest what you get in your leaving cert
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Anyone old on here aktually do well in their leaveing?

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    I resent the implication that I'm old. It's just the car I drive.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Anyone old on here aktually do well in their leaveing?
    The what? The points system didnt exist or even matter to normal people back in the old days. Done my leaving at 16, passed it and then forgot all about it. Never ever needed it. Have worked solid since i left school. Even went back to college just before i turned 40 just to see what all the fuss was about regarding gets bits of paper to say you can study.
    WWS - Remembered Always

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Robbie View Post
    If any of you are doing a language I would highly recommend applying for the year abroad aswell. You'll improve so much in the language and its a great year

Thats what im doin hopefully , European Studies in Maynooth . Got all the points needed so pretty confident of gettin the course
    Only question is beginner spanish or advanced german . Dilemma and a half

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Right I didn't get enough points for most of my first choices, but I think I might get a course in Tallaght, does anyone know if I do first year of it, would I be able to switch to a different course? Or Would I be better off repeating and trying to get more points?

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Depends if they are in the same faculty and how many common subjects they share, also on department heads and numbers in both courses
    Last edited by BiggyRotten; 18th August 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Right I didn't get enough points for most of my first choices, but I think I might get a course in Tallaght, does anyone know if I do first year of it, would I be able to switch to a different course? Or Would I be better off repeating and trying to get more points?
    You will love it in Tallaght I see loads of pats fans around the college

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    If its one of the business streams, then yeah its a common first year and you choose after that

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    I had to choose my classes for UCD just there today. Dreading it, have done no academic work since May 2009 and have to do well to get my low GPA up. Hopefully there's a few more Saints in UCD next year with me and Antomorro. We can setup the PatsSociety :-D
    Haha

Have to pick my subjects on friday! We ain't back in til the 13th of September either

Thanks
    be safe out there lads and lassies tonight and enjoy it
    every minute

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    Only question is beginner spanish or advanced german . Dilemma and a half
    Do the German ;-)

Thanks
    German is a very easy language to grasp, I'd suggest that.
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom the gom View Post
    German is a very easy language to grasp, I'd suggest that.
    It really is. Because you pronounce every letter of every word and the structure isn't too different from English

Thanks
    Although a very similar language to Irish, I learned more German in 3 years in school than 13 years of Irish
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    Although a very similar language to Irish, I learned more German in 3 years in school than 13 years of Irish
    Same here. You get more out of learning a foreign language than you do out of Irish these days aswell, more job opportunities

Thanks
    Same here. You get more out of learning a foreign language than you do out of Irish these days aswell, more job opportunities

Which is disappointing tbh, I love Irish as a language, should be used more imo.

Thanks
    We could debate about the Irish language being our heritage, but outside of Ireland, its useless, its not even internationally recognised. It takes alot of time out of the curriculum that would be better spent on subjects like maths or a business type study.
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    It should never be taken out of the curriculum either way. Its like telling an African he cant learn Swahili (or other african languages) because more people speak French around him.

Thanks
    For the time its given in your education is a joke. It is not beneficial to your education unless you are going into primary teaching. Personally I believe it should be an optional subject. Too much time in school goes into that and religion, which is another aspect of education that is bullshit, students have no choice but to listen to one persons opinion on "God" and how great he is, that time is better spent on more important subjects.
    One love *** One club

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 551 Posts
    For the time its given in your education is a joke. It is not beneficial to your education unless you are going into primary teaching. Personally I believe it should be an optional subject. Too much time in school goes into that and religion, which is another aspect of education that is bullshit, students have no choice but to listen to one persons opinion on "God" and how great he is, that time is better spent on more important subjects.
    Agree 100%

Thanks
    While were at it we can learn the words to God Save Our Queen and wear blazers to our Comprehensive schools to study for our GCSE's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ClondalkinSaint93 View Post
    While were at it we can learn the words to God Save Our Queen and wear blazers to our Comprehensive schools to study for our GCSE's
    Did you go to a Gaelscoil? Tiocfaidh Ar Lá and all that..

Just because I don't believe Irish should be a compulsory subject, it does not make me less Irish than the next..
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    I think it shouldn't be taken out of the curriculum but the way people learn it should be the same as the continental languages. None of this learning poems and storys shite and history of Irish authors section. Irish people should know at least the basics and structure of the Irish language so thats why I think it should be learnt. I also like the language and wanted to do a language when I went to college. I weighed up the options and with German, much more job opportunities in Europe and I had the choice of living there for a year. It's a shame that Irish is hardly worth being fluent at any more job-wise but it's the truth. I'm starting Italian and Spanish next year, see which one I prefer then try and get fluent, will be hard though, early people start easier it is.

Thanks
    I'm a RA head because i go to a Gaelscoil?

I dont see how you can say we should learn english and FRENCH/GERMAN and not Irish? French or german has absolutely nothing to do with this country, you dont need it, and if you do, you could start it after school, but to say that should be there instead of your national language is laughable

+ Reply to Thread