+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Irish football on TV

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks

Irish football on TV

For those of you who have their telly with Virgin Media (formerly UPC.... formerly NTL..... Cablelink..... wtf.....) well anyway from next week they'll be taking eir Sports (formerly Setanta Sports blah blah blah....) off your telly so there'll be no more Irish football on your box unless RTE wake up.

eir are doing a good 18-month package for €25 for six months and then €90 for the next 12 months if u fancy switching, like I just did. You get eir Sports 1 and 2, the 4 BT Sports plus the usual standard 50-odd channels. And fibre broadband and some shite with a landline (but who uses them any more?).

So there.

I must say the eir Sports coverage has been really good. Yer man Will the commentator. Knows his stuff.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 546 Posts
    Was there much hassle in switching - new box/modem and all that palaver? Also how much notice d'you have to give Virgin? I have everything with them at the moment.
    Ha, I'm one of the dinosaurs who still uses landline

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffolux View Post
    Was there much hassle in switching - new box/modem and all that palaver? Also how much notice d'you have to give Virgin? I have everything with them at the moment.
    Ha, I'm one of the dinosaurs who still uses landline
    20 mins on de phone to set up the account this evening and then they're coming out with the box on Tuesday and I'll be up and running. Landline deal is free calls to Irish landlines and mobiles and British landlines and mobiles I think.
    In terms of finishing with Virgin, check if ur on a contract with them. If you are u pay a cancellation fee of 200 quid. If ur not, u just say goodbye and they collect the box. I was under contract but only for one month more so I'll pay my monthly bill of 100 quid and keep two bills for one month. Still cheaper than the cancellation fee. Even if u do have to pay the fee, eir is 25 quid a month for 6 months so ur probably saving a lot more than 200 by switching.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddydillon For This Useful Post:

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    I think you only need broadband to avail of the access to eir sports, the channels can be streamed from their website

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Just be aware that eir TV is IPTV (streaming) so it's about 45-60 seconds behind live. Particularly annoying if you're following the game on social media

Quote Originally Posted by decokh View Post
    I think you only need broadband to avail of the access to eir sports, the channels can be streamed from their website
    Yeah, and if you have their broadband and your TV with Sky, you get the channels free on your sky box too. You've to call eir to get this sorted
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    What's their broadband like?
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post
    What's their broadband like?
    I'll tell you next week when I get it. Virgin/UPC/whatever wasn't great.
    eir is Fibre Optic Bells n Whistles Carlos Fandango, so it better be good!

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    Eircoms broadband was always decent especially the wifi signal, pity about their router security though

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Just be aware that eir TV is IPTV (streaming) so it's about 45-60 seconds behind live. Particularly annoying if you're following the game on social media
    This would do my head in, that's a real deal breaker for me.
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Patrons
    Thanks
    So is the wifi any use from Eir?

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Yes. It is. I'd recommend it.
    But here's the thing. We got a broadband & tv package. And the TV package is not as good. On the main box, you can only record one thing and watch another. With the others, you can have four recordings going at once. For a family who rarely gets to watch TV programmes 'live', that's a bummer. Also on the 'second' box, you can't pause, rewind or record. Not good when you want to snuggle up in bed at night at a time of your choosing and drift off to sleep to the dulcet tones of Alan Cawley...... (eek!).
    So eir broadband better than Virgin. Virgin TV box better than eir.
    Classified check: Virgin 1 -1 eir

However, turns out that Vodafone do eir Sports so now I'm off to them, having cancelled eir during the 'cooling off' period.
    Watch this space.

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    My friend has Vodafone and finds it very unreliable at times, must phone companies piggie back onto other networks, I don't think Vodafone has their own fibre network so I'd imagine an ISP would be better tbh

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Vodafone broadband and TV both great. No 'on demand' movies to download but not a biggie for us.

+ Reply to Thread