+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's Football Part II

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    So you'd rather be deliberately bit than have your eye socket smashed by a reckless tackle?
    Sigh. If it's reckless, then I'd have to put up with it. Likewise if someone "accidentally" bit my shoulder, I'd deal with it.

A man deciding to bite me? You thank that's OK?
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    HE BIT ANOTHER HUMAN!!!

I hope he's not banned but there's no doubting biting an opponent is worse than headbutting a team mate or any of the poor/outrageous tackles so far in the tournament
    The thing is, he has form. What if there's no retrospective punishment and he does it again during the WC? (Which is not inconceiveable - the chap's fucking nuts).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    The thing is, he has form. What if there's no retrospective punishment and he does it again during the WC? (Which is not inconceiveable - the chap's fucking nuts).
    Then I'd enjoy the whole spectacle again.

He's clearly insane/scum and I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be banned.

I also enjoy watching that on TV.

Patrons
    Thanks
    I love Suarez! But he's possible the biggest nutcase iv ever seen in football! People saying imagine how good he would be if he was right in the head? I actually think he wouldn't be as good! I don't think clubs like Real Madrid and barca will pay the money he would cost now so it could work out for Liverpool keeping their best player!

He should and will be banned! But this talk of years and including club football is nonsence he was allowed play for Uruguay when he was banned for his clubs
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Sigh. If it's reckless, then I'd have to put up with it. Likewise if someone "accidentally" bit my shoulder, I'd deal with it.

A man deciding to bite me? You thank that's OK?
    Never said it was okay.

I don't regard headbutting as okay either but we've seen two instances of it in this World Cup not investigated despite there being clear video evidence that they happened and were deliberate.

One of the core principles of any justice system is that it shouldn't be arbitrary. To ban Suarez while failing to investigate these other instances of violent conduct would clearly violate that principle.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Leave him alone. What's the point in having those big fabulous gnashers if you're not going to use them now and again.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post

He should and will be banned! But this talk of years and including club football is nonsence he was allowed play for Uruguay when he was banned for his clubs
    Why is it nonsence? if you get banned from football...then in my opinion you should be banned from football.

In rugby for Grade A offences and citings if you get a ban, your gone from all competitive games.

In my opinion its complete nonsence that he can be banned for 10 matches in England for biting another human being....but allowed play international football? or alternatively, last summer, if Suarez had moved to RM last summer, he could ahve started the season with no ban in place...because bans in UK dont effect other leagues. my opinion is that that situation is ludicrous.

as I said above, my opinion is the Suarez SHOULD be facing a life ban - so far the toothless responses to his actions mean he pretty much walks away scot free and with no repercussions of note.

People like him should not be tolerated no matter how talented or entertaining they are, he is a vile human being and the only way to teach him to to treat his actions with the srious consquences they deserve, and that includes serious sanctions.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Never said it was okay.

I don't regard headbutting as okay either but we've seen two instances of it in this World Cup not investigated despite there being clear video evidence that they happened and were deliberate.

One of the core principles of any justice system is that it shouldn't be arbitrary. To ban Suarez while failing to investigate these other instances of violent conduct would clearly violate that principle.
    I dont think any rational person would disagree with you - BUT, just because the Gardai didnt catch the fella speeding in front of you doesnt mean you should get away with it.

I agree 100% that FIFA/UEFA and soccer in general tolerate too much poor behaviour. As i said above, I think there should be citing committess in all coutries, a PLAYER being banned, should be banned no matter the competition.

I also think that there needs to be drastic improvements on the treatent of referees and linesmen and that there is no reason to not use TV officials for major decisions as in most other major international sports- this would aid the referees.

What your talking about is not a Suarez issue, its a soccer issue and its rediculous that in this day and age more isnt done to ensure justice prevails (including stamping down on diving)

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Why is it nonsence? if you get banned from football...then in my opinion you should be banned from football.

In rugby for Grade A offences and citings if you get a ban, your gone from all competitive games.

In my opinion its complete nonsence that he can be banned for 10 matches in England for biting another human being....but allowed play international football? or alternatively, last summer, if Suarez had moved to RM last summer, he could ahve started the season with no ban in place...because bans in UK dont effect other leagues. my opinion is that that situation is ludicrous.

as I said above, my opinion is the Suarez SHOULD be facing a life ban - so far the toothless responses to his actions mean he pretty much walks away scot free and with no repercussions of note.

People like him should not be tolerated no matter how talented or entertaining they are, he is a vile human being and the only way to teach him to to treat his actions with the srious consquences they deserve, and that includes serious sanctions.
    A lifetime ban? Ah come on now....

I agree he should be hit with a serious International ban and banned for the rest of this years world cup. He should probably be banned from International Football for a few years but the club he represents shouldn't suffer for it.

Being banned from representing your country is punishment enough. IMO he's a vile human being and should be punished, but a life ban is WAY over the top.
    Last edited by Come on you supersaints; 25th June 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post
    but the club he represents shouldn't suffer for it.
    They signed him while he was already on a ban for biting a player, then while with them, he bit another player, and they defended him (on top of the racism claims), and now he has done it again. The club knew full well what they had when they bought him and then offered him new contracts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slavia For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    I dont think any rational person would disagree with you - BUT, just because the Gardai didnt catch the fella speeding in front of you doesnt mean you should get away with it.
    Speeding is akin to pushing in the back in terms of relative seriousness, nobody is suggesting forensically going over every little incident in each game. This is violent conduct - there have been around half a dozen incidents in the forty-odd matches so far that potentially could/should have been investigated by the Disciplinary Committee. My issue is that only one has been.

I agree 100% that FIFA/UEFA and soccer in general tolerate too much poor behaviour. As i said above, I think there should be citing committess in all coutries, a PLAYER being banned, should be banned no matter the competition.

I also think that there needs to be drastic improvements on the treatent of referees and linesmen and that there is no reason to not use TV officials for major decisions as in most other major international sports- this would aid the referees.
    Totally agree that football needs to get serious about addressing these and other issues in the game.

What your talking about is not a Suarez issue, its a soccer issue and its rediculous that in this day and age more isnt done to ensure justice prevails (including stamping down on diving)
    It's a Suarez issue as he is the only player to have been retrospectively investigated for violent conduct. He and Uruguay are totally within their rights to demand to know why he is being investigated when Diego Costa, a player with a history of headbutting opponents, wasn't investigated for what he did against Holland.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts

I agree he should be hit with a serious International ban and banned for the rest of this years world cup. He should probably be banned from International Football for a few years but the club he represents shouldn't suffer for it.
    The punishment is for the player not the club or international team so if he is banned for a number of games he should miss all games whether they're international or club games.

I agree with you about the length of the ban, calling for a lifetime ban is ridiculous.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Patrons
    Thanks
    the club he represents shouldn't suffer for it.
    Thats my point- this isnt a club issue- this is a player issue. IF a played is suspended, especially for "Grade A" offenses - then he is suspended, club, country, parish - it shouldnt matter where he committed the crime.

as I said before, Suarez has form, is a serious repeat offender and I cannot remember another player who has managed so many seriouses offenses in such a short space of time. in 40 months he has bitten 3 players and been suspended for a relatively serious racist offence.

Remember Cantona got 8 Months for a first offence and I dont remember too many scousers giving out about the severity of that sentence.

I somewhat agree that a lifetime ban could be OTT - however, i struggle to comprehend this guys actions, I mean he fucking bit someone......in fact he bit 3 people- its utterly incomprehensible. I dont believe any punishemnt will be enough for him to not do it again. he is a serial repeat offender and a vile vile person.

Is there any other walk of life or profession where he would be rewarded with a bumper contract after all he has done?

Compare to other sports (I use Rugby as an example) he would have had a 8-12 week suspension, followed by a 12-26 week suspension and this offense would probably bring about a 52 week suspension minimum - tahts exclusive of the racist incident (sure Dylan Hartley got suspended for 3 months for insulting a referee and missed an Aviva final and a Lions tour) -
    Last edited by Caolan; 25th June 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    So Suarez is banned from football for 4 months and suspended for the next 9 international games as well
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    So Suarez is banned from football for 4 months and suspended for the next 9 international games as well
    Opening gambit from FIFA. He'll appeal and get that at least halved - may even be free to play on Saturday if Uruguay time it right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Someone should have a little media campaign about Sakhos and Girouds elbows yesterday.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    I'm surprised they didn't just ban him until the end of the year. Banned from all football activity so he can't even be sold.

He will miss their first 3 Champions League games, hopefully they're in our group
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rathfarnham_Saint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Much more than I expected Fifa to do- but definitly deserved.

I wonder what the grounds for an appeal would be though? can they increase it for afrivilous appeal?

as gaz said though- I reckon it will be reduced or some of it suspended until next time he bites someone.

Liverpool should be thankful, it'll mean he will still be there next season, doubt Barca or Real will go after a player suspended from the first 9 games of the season + 1/2 champ league groups.

either that or Liverpool will be happy to get rid of him and try sign Falcao and Sanchez.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Someone should have a little media campaign about Sakhos and Girouds elbows yesterday.
    FIFA's dual standards on serious foul play in this tournament is genuinely disgusting. It's as though headbutting and elbowing have been removed from the definition of violent conduct. Even Pepe, who did get caught throwing the head, got the minimum one match ban. A year of Costa in the Premiership with the antics that'd entail and there's no way the English media would have been as passive over him getting off scot free with nutting Bruno Martins Indi.

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 503 Posts
    I still feel soccer can learn alot from rugby (citing commissioners, Ref comminications, only Captain allowed speak to Ref, TV official etc)
    Biting in Rugby is an 8-12 week ban for FIRST offence- unfortunately FIFA has no integrated punishment system (eg a ban from club doesnt transfer to country for major offenses) and its unlikely that Suarez's previous behaviour will be taken into account.
    Compare to other sports (I use Rugby as an example) he would have had a 8-12 week suspension, followed by a 12-26 week suspension and this offense would probably bring about a 52 week suspension minimum - tahts exclusive of the racist incident (sure Dylan Hartley got suspended for 3 months for insulting a referee and missed an Aviva final and a Lions tour)
    Seriously, get the boat with the rugby crap. You'll want the ball changed to an egg next

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Seriously, get the boat with the rugby crap. You'll want the ball changed to an egg next
    Thats a stupid pointless comment, dont be such an imbecile.

Rugby is far from perfect- but they are alot more proactive in these things. Soccer can learn alot from other sports as far as I am concerned and the additon of sinple things like respecting referees, TV officials and citing commissioners could only make Soccer a better and fairer game.

Or hey, we could ignore positive proactive improvements because Rugby did them first and some people have an inferiority complex.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Gaz;128357]It's as though headbutting and elbowing have been removed from the definition of violent conduct.[quote]
    Or its as if they realise that headbutting and elbowing happen all the time. We could all point to 100s of times we've seen both. Some get punished, some don't.

I bet none of us could point to 5 times we've seen a player bitten, and three of those have been from Suarez. It is being treated differently, because it is different.

Even Pepe, who did get caught throwing the head, got the minimum one match ban.
    He got a one game ban because he was sent off. Standard procedure

Patrons
    Thanks

Rugby is far from perfect- but they are alot more proactive in these things. Soccer can learn alot from other sports as far as I am concerned and the additon of sinple things like respecting referees, TV officials and citing commissioners could only make Soccer a better and fairer game.

Or hey, we could ignore positive proactive improvements because Rugby did them first and some people have an inferiority complex.
    Not really relevant here though. The laws and procedures to deal with this sort of thing effectively in football are already in place. My issue is that they're being applied on an a la carte basis.

As regards having longer fines to act as a deterrent, I really don't believe had Suarez known he'd get a 10 year ban for biting it would have stopped him doing it. Whatever it is that makes him do this, it's impulsive.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 503 Posts

Every point you make in practically all arguments refers back to rugby. We know at this stage you like rugby, go to a rugby forum to talk about it. Football and rugby are totally different sports. What's proactive in one isn't necessarily the same in the other. Its tough enough for referees as it is, if they get every single decision scrutinized by tv officials and commissioners it puts more pressure on them and makes it harder for them to make decisions.

The great thing football has over other sports is human error. Think back through all the great moments in world cup history that wouldn't have happened if officials and commissioners were around.

Maradonas handball, Hursts goal in 66, Lampards 'goal' just to name a few. They would all have been long forgotten if you had officials watching

Patrons
    Thanks
    It's as though headbutting and elbowing have been removed from the definition of violent conduct.
    Or its as if they realise that headbutting and elbowing happen all the time. We could all point to 100s of times we've seen both. Some get punished, some don't.
    So that makes it alright not to punish those that are missed?

I bet none of us could point to 5 times we've seen a player bitten, and three of those have been from Suarez. It is being treated differently, because it is different.
    It's obviously different. Whether it's any more serious is entirely subjective. I'd argue most of the disgust associated with biting is perception rather than actual injury caused - none of the players Suarez has bitten even required treatment as far as I recall. Regardless, FIFA defines headbutting, elbowing and biting under the common banner of violent conduct.

He got a one game ban because he was sent off. Standard procedure
    It's also standard procedure to add extra games in the case of violent conduct.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Every point you make in practically all arguments refers back to rugby. We know at this stage you like rugby, go to a rugby forum to talk about it. Football and rugby are totally different sports. What's proactive in one isn't necessarily the same in the other. Its tough enough for referees as it is, if they get every single decision scrutinized by tv officials and commissioners it puts more pressure on them and makes it harder for them to make decisions.

The great thing football has over other sports is human error. Think back through all the great moments in world cup history that wouldn't have happened if officials and commissioners were around.

Maradonas handball, Hursts goal in 66, Lampards 'goal' just to name a few. They would all have been long forgotten if you had officials watching
    Bullshit argument- it appears your most treasured football memories are simply englands heartbreaks & triumphs - does anyone else in the world remember any of these?

If these had been disallowed other memories would take their places and be just as wonderful, maybe even revolve around skill rather than controversy (maybe thats jsut your personality)!

Yes I compare to Rugby, because it is a major international sport, which has a system that is a million times better than fifas for dealing with cheats and violence while assiting referees to get key decisions correct. Not perfect, but it has an active support sytem to help referees and provide justice. Its an idiotic argument to claim that these structure create added pressure for referees, its teh exact opposite. its shared responsibility, a referee can stop a game and get advice on a key peice of play (eg penalty incident, violent conduct) - in Rugby (sorry to offend you by using that horrific word) a ref can even ask a 4th official to investigate while the game continues........absolute magic!

My point stands, lets not let peoples inferiority complexes or personal love affairs with english illegitimate goals/events take from that.

I stand by my point, that in my opinion, soccer would be better if referees were respected (and assisted by video refs) and there was an ACTIVE citing system (commissioner) for people who dive, cheat or perform violent acts on a pitch.
    Last edited by Caolan; 26th June 2014 at 05:20 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    So that makes it alright not to punish those that are missed?
    Seems that way

It's obviously different. Whether it's any more serious is entirely subjective. I'd argue most of the disgust associated with biting is perception rather than actual injury caused - none of the players Suarez has bitten even required treatment as far as I recall.
    I don't want to go all weird here but whether or not a player is injured shouldn't be the deciding factor. The intent is more important to me. In the cases of Suarez, he intended to bite someone. I don't see how you can't suspend somebody who decides to, and carries out, a bite on another player

It's also standard procedure to add extra games in the case of violent conduct.
    They clearly seen the incident and decided it didn't merit any more. Seeing as he barely touched him I'd agreee

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts

In fairness, this is the off topic section of the forum.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Say what you want about him deserving a ban,(international or club ball) hes not allowed to train with Liverpool? That is a stupid decision, this harms his club when they had no control over him, when his ban his up he will have to take part in a pre season to get up to scratch( as no amount of hours in the gym will be enough) how is that fair to Liverpool?

Should have offered FIFA a few quid to let him off.
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    Say what you want about him deserving a ban,(international or club ball) hes not allowed to train with Liverpool? That is a stupid decision, this harms his club when they had no control over him, when his ban his up he will have to take part in a pre season to get up to scratch( as no amount of hours in the gym will be enough) how is that fair to Liverpool?

Should have offered FIFA a few quid to let him off.
    he'll be training. it'll be in Barcelona, but he'll be training some how. he wont just sit on his arse

Plus Liverpool signed him when he was on a ban for biting.
    he then bit anotehr player
    and racially abused another. They stood by him and got burnt - tough shit.
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread