+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gary Speed

Thanks

Gary Speed

Has sadly died this morning, it appears he took his own life, shocking!

Thanks
    Yeah tragic stuff. RIP
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Shocking stuff. RIP!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesaint View Post
    shocking!
    Genuinely shocking. Can't believe it. Without being facetious about it, it takes a fair bit to shock me, and I usually don't care what happens celebrities but Speed seemed such a good lad. Heartbraking for all concerned

Given the weekend thats in it, no harm in highlighting the great work done by http://www.pieta.ie/
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Shocked, couldn't believe it when I heard it, Robbie Savage was just saying on Twitter that he was talking to him yesterday and he seemed really up beat. RIP
    WATRA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Genuinely shocking. Can't believe it. Without being facetious about it, it takes a fair bit to shock me, and I usually don't care what happens celebrities but Speed seemed such a good lad. Heartbraking for all concerned

Given the weekend thats in it, no harm in highlighting the great work done by http://www.pieta.ie/
    Absolutely, when I first heard about it I immediately thought it must have been a car accident. Fair play to the SEI lads whose night last night contributed to Pieta House. Today just goes to show how suicide affects all aspects of society

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    anybody following stan collymore on twitter. His timeline all week is about his ongoing battle with depression. Credit to him for highlighting it. Amazing how it seems people can hide their inner problems

Thanks
    Just had a minute's silence for him at the Swansea V Villa game, though it turned into applause with a sizeable amount of the crowd singing "there's only one Gary Speed" a number of the Swansea squad played for him and Shay Given is said to be very upset.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yorkiesaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sad about gary he always seemed upbeat you just never know whats in peoples heads rip

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Absolutely tragic. RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Just heard this. Wow, in shock. RIP

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Mad stuff. RIP

Thanks
    It's a disease, and needs to be addressed. We are too proud to say we are depressed and we are to proud to ask for help. We are proud all the way into a casket. Depression is a huge issue and sadly these things will continue to happen untill we stop being so bloody proud.

RIP Gary. You'll be missed.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    It's a disease, and needs to be addressed. We are too proud to say we are depressed and we are to proud to ask for help. We are proud all the way into a casket. Depression is a huge issue and sadly these things will continue to happen untill we stop being so bloody proud.

Well put. RIP.
    WWS - Remembered Always

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post

Sadly it seems worse in this country. It isnt really taken serious as a disease
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    A key component of the best Leeds side of my adult life. Strachan, Batty, McAllister, Speed

Gutted.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    A key component of the best Leeds side of my adult life. Strachan, Batty, McAllister, Speed

Gutted.
    I work with a Leeds fan and was looking forward to tomorrow to rub his nose in it over yesterday's result, seems pointless now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesaint View Post
    I work with a Leeds fan and was looking forward to tomorrow to rub his nose in it over yesterday's result, seems pointless now.
    Had it all planned to go beering today for the city game. When I heard I thought it was an accident or sudden death caper. Devastated for him when I heard it was suicide. The amount of pleasure he gave me as a Leeds fan. Doesn't seem fair anyone can give others that much enjoyment and have none themselves.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Would've been the last person you'd think would do it. Something that definitely needs to be addressed, especially with people in the public eye. Hopefully it highlights it now and encourages others to talk about it instead of just keeping it all in. RIP Gary.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    It's just so tragic for everyone involved, he obviously was fighting an illness which got the better of him and then there is his poor wife and kids who are left to deal with everything, Very sad stuff

RIP
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    Sadly in this country if your depressed your classed as nuts, Depression is one of the biggest killers in Ireland especially in these times and if it wasnt for Pieta House and other charitys there would be no support for anyone, The biggest and hardest step for people is to ask for help and choose to battle it alone in silence until it gets too much

very sad about gary speed, he seemed to have it all
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Thanks
    It's just never ending. Puts it all into perspective, no one ever knows what is happening in someone else's head.

Very proud of the SEI fundraising for Pieta house and all the work that Pieta house do. I'm sure I'm not the only victim of a suicide on here and it really is bloody sad to hear about this, brings all of them back.

RIP Gary, and to everyone else who has taken their life.
    Last edited by tom the gom; 27th November 2011 at 07:55 PM.
    One love *** One club

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom the gom For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Such a shame, so young. Feel for his family and friends.

RIP

Thanks
    Nice piece written here, taken from http://ourmaninstockholm.wordpress.com/

As I walked back from the shops with my seven-year-old an hour or two ago, I took a moment to think about how lucky I am.

Two children, a growing business, a new house and a book nominated for two prizes.

It doesn’t get much better.

My daughter was going through a list of animals to see if there was one I could consider getting her as a pet.

Despite the grey, blustery Stockholm weather, I wouldn’t have swapped places with anyone else in the world at that moment.

Shortly afterwards, the news of the death of former Newcastle and Wales midfielder Gary Speed hit me like a punch in the stomach.

I met him briefly in Dublin once. He was different to most other footballers- self-assured but not arrogant, confident but not cocky. Intelligent, well-spoken, a gentleman.

There is nothing gentle about depression or suicide.

Depression doesn’t care about your skill, or your money, or how many medals you have.

Depression is not a passive lying-down in the face of the challenges of life.

It is a battle, a struggle. Sometimes it is a fight to the bitter end. Sometimes it doesn’t end well.

Just before I moved to Sweden a team-mate of mine took his own life. Few things have affected me as much as that did – he was a young man, a superb footballer with a beautiful young son. But none of this mattered in the end.

Aside for the grief and memories of his family and friends, all that is left is a fair play trophy named after him- ironic given that he was known as the hardest tackler on our team.

The coming days will see much written about what a great player Gary Speed was for his clubs and his country. Much will be written about depression and suicide, and a lot of it will be nonsense.

If you haven’t suffered it, you will find it hard to imagine just how suffocating and crushing it can be. It is not an illness that can be cured by simply talking to someone, or going for a walk or “copping yourself on”. It’s a lot more complex than that.

But one thing that is certain is that there are organisations who do great work in helping people who are depressed or suicidal. The likes of the Samaritans and Pieta House have a proven track record of helping people who suffer from depression to find a light in the darkness. They are deserving of your support.

As Swansea played at home to Aston Villa today, the minute’s silence was interrupted by spontaneous applause and the chant of “there’s only one Gary Speed”. It was a far more fitting tribute to a man whose goals and tackles often brought the crowds to their feet.

But it is a tragedy for the man, his family and for football that his undoubted skill and courage on the field wasn’t enough to help him defeat depression off it.

Rest in peace Gary. You were a great champion, and you will be missed.

Suicide won’t solve your problems, or make people love or respect you more.

Call the Samaritans or visit www.samaritans.org and get help. There is an answer, but suicide is not it.
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    R.I.P. Gary Speed. Shocked when I heard this news.
    Last edited by St. Robbie; 28th November 2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    RIP. Was away for a weekend with the family and read it on BBC at lunchtime. I knew by what wasn't said that he most likely took his own life. Shocking. A great player and shaping up to be a great manager.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Just reading through some of the tributes to Speed on the internet. He was on football focus on Saturday and you wouldn't have known he was suffering from depression. The saddest part is that he wasn't able to tell anyone. It's such a sad story, he seemed to have everything going for him, it must be such a bad illness to get and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. R.I.P. Gary Speed.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    was it gary speed that gave davie Mc his break at sheffield utd last year?

RIP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace of Clubs View Post
    was it gary speed that gave davie Mc his break at sheffield utd last year?

RIP
    Speed signed him but he left for the Wales job before McAllister was eligible to play. Mickey Adams took over gave him a handful of games

35. The Following User Says Thank You to yorkiesaint For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread