View Poll Results: Who do you hope wins?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye

26 76.47%
  • Noo

7 20.59%
  • Dinnae Ken/Dinnae Care

1 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scottish Independence Referendum

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts

Scottish Independence Referendum

What’s the general feeling on this? We may not have a vote but a yes vote would affect us, sooner and to a greater degree than people suspect I think.

Heart says I’d love to see an independent Scotland. While the economic fears are being hammed up bigtime by the London media, there would undoubtedly be an adjustment period that could be rough for them.

Looked at selfishly, whether or not having another small independent English-speaking country on our doorstep is really in our economic interests is a question that hasn’t been taken seriously here IMO. Assuming they’re in the EU and Euro within a few years, they would definitely soon be treading on the toes of the IDA when it comes to attracting foreign investment.

Either way, the result of Thursday’s referendum is going to liven up the banter ahead of our meetings with Scotland in the Euro 2016 qualifiers:

If ‘No’ wins;
    Us: We fought and died for our independence, you lot couldn’t even tick a box for it.

If ‘Yes’ wins;
    Them: We got our WHOLE country back off the English without firing a bullet.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    selfishly........ leave as is
    Cyril The Judas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Has serious implications for Northern Ireland too

I'm firmly on the yes side purely because I think it'd be great craic
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    'No' for me. I think all nations should have the right to self-determination but what's on offer here is not "Independence" in any shape or form. They want to remain in the EU - condemning the country to the neo-liberalism that has destroyed its industrial base and the permamnent austerity that many "Yes" voters have been misled into believing they'll be escaping. They want to remain in NATO - locking themselves into military spending they can't afford and denying themselves the opportunity to pursue an independent foreign policy. They want to mantain the pound and the Queen, meaning their currency will be controlled by a foreign power and their head of state will be an unelected foreign monarch. What are they gaining by this?

Incidentally there's a referendum on independence in Catalunya on November 9th, albeit one that hasn't been sanctioned by the central government. In fact, Madrid has said they won't recgonise the result at all and they won't entertain any discussion. It's basically like a pre-referendum referendum asking people if hypothetically they would be supportive of an independent Catalunya. I'm voting 'Yes' because I think Catalans like Scots should have the right to self-determination, but I'd have precisely the same reservations about an "independent" Catalunya as it's being presented. It's no coincidence that there's been such a groundswell of support for independence in these places at this time - people's general living standards have plummetted at an unprecedented rate in anyone's lifetime, and they're looking for explanations and solutions. Here the explanation has been, in not so many words, 'Spain is the problem' and logically 'Independence is the solution'. No-one in either country has been able to explain how pursuing precisely the same monetary, fiscal and foreign policies is going to change anything though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    They want to mantain the pound and the Queen, meaning their currency will be controlled by a foreign power and their head of state will be an unelected foreign monarch.
    They won't be let keep the pound anyway - the Bank Of England won't allow its currency to be under the influence of a Government over which it has no influence, so would kick them out if it came to it. They could set up their own currency and link it to Sterling.

Salmond has said the plan is to keep QE2 as the head of state for her lifetime then make a decision on who succeeds her. Not that it'll matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Incidentally there's a referendum on independence in Catalunya on November 9th, albeit one that hasn't been sanctioned by the central government. In fact, Madrid has said they won't recgonise the result at all and they won't entertain any discussion. It's basically like a pre-referendum referendum asking people if hypothetically they would be supportive of an independent Catalunya. I'm voting 'Yes' because I think Catalans like Scots should have the right to self-determination, but I'd have precisely the same reservations about an "independent" Catalunya as it's being presented. It's no coincidence that there's been such a groundswell of support for independence in these places at this time - people's general living standards have plummetted at an unprecedented rate in anyone's lifetime, and they're looking for explanations and solutions. Here the explanation has been, in not so many words, 'Spain is the problem' and logically 'Independence is the solution'. No-one in either country has been able to explain how pursuing precisely the same monetary, fiscal and foreign policies is going to change anything though.
    Yeah they're watching this like a hawk in Spain and Catalunya. We probably are now genuinely into the post-Nationalist age so beloved of political commentators where sovereignity matters very little in real terms.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Seems to be to fuelled by money, scottish peoples believe the money will go to Scotland.

Bless them....hope its a yes for the funnies too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Seems to be to fuelled by money
    Politics about money? I'm not sure this will catch on...
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    The vote IMO will be a very strong no vote: Fear will rule the day.

Thanks
    Looking forward to the montages, Bye Bye Baby by the Bay City Rollers for Salmond and I Will Survive for Cameron if it's a yes, Part of the Union by The Strawbs if it's a no.

Patrons
    Thanks
    I did like Jason Manford's tweet last week:

"Dear Scotland,

Please don't leave us with that lot.

Regards,

The North of England"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Hopefully the yes vote wins

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Thatchers legacy to Great Britain,its break up.Scottish ship builders and miners families get there own back.

+ Reply to Thread