+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Same Sex Referendum

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts

Same Sex Referendum

So how you gonna vote on this?

It is proposed to add the following to Article 41 of the Constitution:

“Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex.”
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    I'll be voting Yes but I don't like how the Yes campaign have gone about their business, bullying tactics and I think it might lose them some votes.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathfarnham_Saint For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    I'll be voting Yes but I don't like how the Yes campaign have gone about their business, bullying tactics and I think it might lose them some votes.
    The no campaign has been made up of lies too so neither side has come off too well in all this.

For me it boils down to

1) Will voting yes effect a single person negatively? That answer is no.
    2) Will voting yes effect a single person positively? The answer is yes.

It's that simple to me.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    What bullying tactics do you think the official Yes campaign have engaged in?

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Not eligible to vote, but would have voted yes without question.

I've lived in Barcelona for 8 years now and I remember when I first arrived being struck by the number of gay couples you'd see on the street, in a bar, on public transport, etc. doing something that's not that safe in Dublin: holding hands.

It's tragic that a significant minority of the population can't do things the rest of us take for granted, and pathetic (in my view) that people feel threatened by this. I've yet to hear a No' argument that doesn't sound like homophobia to my ears, no matter how they try to dress it up.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Btw, Barcelona is in no way representative of Spain - homophobia is rife in other parts of the country, and even though same sex marriage was legally recognised about 10 years ago, gay couples often migrate to Barcelona from other parts of the country to settle down.

A resounding 'yes' vote won't in any way prevent mindless cnuts attacking gay couples in broad daylight in the safe knowledge the guards will do fuck all about it.

Thanks
    It's a no brainer for me, will it affect mine or anyone else's marriage, no sadly not, the family arguments are really poor, adoption and surrogacy laws won't change with a yes vote. They're just about stopping short of saying "I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are gay....but" with the "they have civil partnerships" slogan.

Plus the catering at weddings will be amazing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yorkiesaint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Btw, Barcelona is in no way representative of Spain - homophobia is rife in other parts of the country, and even though same sex marriage was legally recognised about 10 years ago, gay couples often migrate to Barcelona from other parts of the country to settle down.
    Madrid is definitely gayer than Barcelona, you can't walk through Chueca without your choice of shoes or shirt being subjected to the most stinging criticism.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Madrid is definitely gayer than Barcelona, you can't walk through Chueca without your choice of shoes or shirt being subjected to the most stinging criticism.
    I wouldn't say Madrid is representative of Spain either. Then again, I'd say the same about a few other places, esp. Bilbao and San Sebastián.

On the whole Spaniards are no more or less progressive than others, but conservative Spaniards are very conservative. The polls suggest that the Yes side will win with a greater majority than was achieved here a decade ago. I don't think that's because there are so many irish progressives; it's more that many Irish conservatives are essentially decent people. Contrast FG's stance on the referendum with their sister Partido Popular party who tried desperately hard to repeal the referendum when they took office.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Its important thats people who support the Yes side, vote.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilnamanaghsaint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    I just feel the No side have no argument.

They go on about "a child needs a mother and father" but we're not voting about that!
    In terms of adoption and surigucy, well not a single person whether gay, straight or bi have a right to this.

Yes all the way for me. I've gay friends and they should have the same rights as me. Doesn't affect me at all so why not?
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Patrons
    Thanks
    All the talk of adoption or surrogacy is a monstrous red herring, gay couples can already adopt.

I'm engaged to get married. I have a gay mate who's engaged to get married. I don't see why he should be forced to go abroad for his ceremony when I don't have to. Marriage is about the vows between the two people, not what some priest or registrar pronounces. His vows will be as valid as mine and should be recognised as such.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Nightdub For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say Madrid is representative of Spain either. Then again, I'd say the same about a few other places, esp. Bilbao and San Sebastián.
    Was being tongue in cheek with that but you're right.

On the whole Spaniards are no more or less progressive than others, but conservative Spaniards are very conservative. The polls suggest that the Yes side will win with a greater majority than was achieved here a decade ago. I don't think that's because there are so many irish progressives; it's more that many Irish conservatives are essentially decent people. Contrast FG's stance on the referendum with their sister Partido Popular party who tried desperately hard to repeal the referendum when they took office.
    Like so much else in Spain, I think a lot of that goes back to the entrenched positions of Las Dos Españas. There's a 'them versus us' mentality that affects practically every facet of Spanish life - who's making a statement and what they are perceived to represent has long carried much greater importance than what they actually say. Conservative Spain tends to tie liberals, gays, separatists, lefties and immigrants into one convenient bundle they regard as trouble and not to be trusted. A lot of my missus' friends happen to come from the PP heartlands of Castile and Léon or Galicia (or their parents do) and while they're generally a sound,friendly and decent bunch, their views on certain topics would leave you genuinely speechless.

Anyway, to get back on topic, like Doc I feel a certain affinity with the LGBT community on this one. Got married myself last month, something I couldn't have pictured myself doing even a few years ago but delighted I did. We had a great day with family and friends (couldn't invite everyone I would ideally have liked to but I digress) and while I wouldn't have thought declaring our commitment to each other before those closest to us was that a big a deal it's quite a different feeling when you actually do. Because my wife had been previously married, until very recently we couldn't have celebrated our wedding the way we wanted to (off site Civil Ceremonies are a very recent phenomenon) and up to 20 years ago we couldn't have got married at all in this country or had our marriage recognised here. The reason for that was because of the same conservative elements now at the forefront of this No campaign. Their views and their rules are already catered for in religious marriages (we couldn't have got married in a Catholic church, not that we'd have wanted to) and are under no threat from this referendum but that's not enough for them - they want to dictate to everyone else how they should live their lives. The fucking cheek of them. Thankfully they no longer have their way on the divorce issue but I feel I'd be doing the LGBT community a huge disservice if I didn't support them against the same forces again trying to force their doctrine down everyone else's throats. It'd be a tragedy if we let them win through our complacency and their scaremongering so as said above, it's very important all of us that support the change get up off our arses and vote accordingly.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts

Valladolid, as a majority, would be against gay marriage according to a few people I've talked to about it
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kilnamanaghsaint View Post
    Its important thats people who support the Yes side, vote.

There is a worry that complacency could creep in, don't know what the opinion polls are now but at the beginning of the campaign it was around 75%-25% in favour of the yes vote, as last week showed across the pond opinion polls can mean jack shit, and that gap will close significantly, the vast majority that are going to vote no will get up off their arses and vote, important that if you've decided to vote yes to make sure you do.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 616 Posts
    Forget the marriage referendum I don't want a snot nose as Uachtarán na hÉireann VOTE NO.

+ Reply to Thread