+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Croly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richsaint View Post
    He really did, plus he had a massive inferiority complex when it came to playing against Fenlon's teams. In his mind those games were lost before them commenced.
    This absolutely wrecks my head, it just happens that they were better than us. This inferiority complex thing is ridiculous. Do people honestly think Johnny Mac influenced 11 footballers to the extent that they didn't think they could beat shels. Doesn't even make sense.

No offence

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    This absolutely wrecks my head, it just happens that they were better than us. This inferiority complex thing is ridiculous. Do people honestly think Johnny Mac influenced 11 footballers to the extent that they didn't think they could beat shels. Doesn't even make sense.

No offence
    if I recall correctly we were top/doing well after a few games, he played Maguire at CB just after coming back from injury away to them and we lost 3-0. Imo there was no reason to play Maguire in that game as he was bollixed after 30 minutes. I was convinced JMC knew we would lose so used it as a runout for maguire.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    if I recall correctly we were top/doing well after a few games, he played Maguire at CB just after coming back from injury away to them and we lost 3-0. Imo there was no reason to play Maguire in that game as he was bollixed after 30 minutes. I was convinced JMC knew we would lose so used it as a runout for maguire.
    You seriously think this....seriously like.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Fenlon used to use the tactic of signing players, not necessarily, because they would strengthen his team, but to also prevent other teams from getting stronger or by weakening them by taking their best players. Very effective tactic when it comes to winning Leagues but when a club is doing that in this League you know it's going to bankrupt itself.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Is there any evidence to support the claims Pats, Dundalk etc.. Can match Rovers in the paying as much as them in the wages department.

I know they can are we are, but figures wise I'm talking about. It's generally excepted that rovers have revenue streams open to them that no other club has or at least not as much. But when it comes to paying out wages, a lot of other clubs can match them. So talk of them been on the road to rack and ruin, squandering money seem a bit pointless, when all the top clubs are on an equal pegging or near enough wages wise, but probably a big gulf between some revenue wise when it comes to paying for these wages.

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Fenlon's a football manager and no more. He's not one for rolling up his sleeves and getting involved in the greater good of the Club. He was the first out of Shels when the shit hit the fan, didn't hang around Bohes long after the shit hit the fan there. He had no stomach for the hard work required to manage Derry or Hibs. So are Rovers going to throw loads of money at him and the fans love him or is he going to have to work hard and put up with the supporters impatience?
    At least with Rovers they have no property to gamble with so money in the bank and annual income is all he has to play with. I don't think it'll take him too long to spend all that and then cry off to his next victim. Might be a pain in the hole for us while he drains the renter but it won't be for too long.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathcoolesaint View Post
    Fenlon's a football manager and no more. He's not one for rolling up his sleeves and getting involved in the greater good of the Club. He was the first out of Shels when the shit hit the fan, didn't hang around Bohes long after the shit hit the fan there. He had no stomach for the hard work required to manage Derry or Hibs. So are Rovers going to throw loads of money at him and the fans love him or is he going to have to work hard and put up with the supporters impatience?
    At least with Rovers they have no property to gamble with so money in the bank and annual income is all he has to play with. I don't think it'll take him too long to spend all that and then cry off to his next victim. Might be a pain in the hole for us while he drains the renter but it won't be for too long.
    Again the whole "he will make them go bust in no time" type post. But all the top clubs are spending in and around the same on wages, while some clubs revenue streams are far bigger than others. So is Buckley going to make us go bust ? Or Kenny with Dundalk ? Etc...

I thought he did alright with Bohs. Didn't he not get a bog average Bohs team into Europe the season after they where smashed. And only left when he got the Hibs job ?He done alright there too when you see how much they went into free fall when left

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    The "he will make them go bust" type posts are probably based on the fact that he made two of the biggest clubs in the country go bust. They were also the two jobs where he had any success. What people are saying is that he has a track record of buying success without any consideration for the state of the club when it goes pear shaped. Whether he's allowed do this at Rovers or if they have the cash reserves to support it for any length of time is very doubtful.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eskersaint View Post
    The "he will make them go bust" type posts are probably based on the fact that he made two of the biggest clubs in the country go bust. They were also the two jobs where he had any success. What people are saying is that he has a track record of buying success without any consideration for the state of the club when it goes pear shaped. Whether he's allowed do this at Rovers or if they have the cash reserves to support it for any length of time is very doubtful.
    Where is the facts to say that the demise of Bohs and Shels where in no small part down to Fenlon ?

To me at Shels is was solely down to one person, Ollie Byrne. Take your pick from the procession line of idiots that run or have run Bohs in the past

I'm sure Fenlon asked and got what he was asked for at both clubs, down to the ego's and pipe dreamers of CL group stage is around around the corner, at both club.

Name one current manager in the league you don't think asks for an increase to the playing budget either pre season or in the summer transfer window ? If the clowns that run the clubs give it to them, how is it the managers fault ?

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebellred View Post
    Where is the facts to say that the demise of Bohs and Shels where in no small part down to Fenlon ?

To me at Shels is was solely down to one person, Ollie Byrne. Take your pick from the procession line of idiots that run or have run Bohs in the past

I'm sure Fenlon asked and got what he was asked for at both clubs, down to the ego's and pipe dreamers of CL group stage is around around the corner, at both club.

Name one current manager in the league you don't think asks for an increase to the playing budget either pre season or in the summer transfer window ? If the clowns that run the clubs give it to them, how is it the managers fault ?
    The facts are pretty straightforward. Both clubs suffered their financial meltdown during Fenlon's reign. Couldn't actually be any more straightforward. Most managers ask for more money but usually when they realise it's not there they at least consider the consequences of pushing clubs to the limit. Weak boards play their part but the common link with Shels and Bohs is Fenlon and a select group of his favourite players.

Thanks
    or maybe the perfect club has just hired the perfect manager and we're all fucked

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eskersaint View Post
    The facts are pretty straightforward. Both clubs suffered their financial meltdown during Fenlon's reign. Couldn't actually be any more straightforward. Most managers ask for more money but usually when they realise it's not there they at least consider the consequences of pushing clubs to the limit. Weak boards play their part but the common link with Shels and Bohs is Fenlon and a select group of his favourite players.
    By that way of thinking you probably think Bucko was the reason behind Fingals demise and wasn't he at rovers for the start of the downfall

Managers spend what's given to them and still ask for more. That's fairytail thinking if you think any manager is worried by the consequences of pushing a club for more. To a manager not asking for extra money for players could just be the difference of them been still in a job the rest of the season or next

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    or maybe the perfect club has just hired the perfect manager and we're all fucked
    I wouldn't go that far

Thanks
    I wouldn't go that far
    You're right that it's the leadership above the football manager that is the real fault for the Bohes and Shels collapse but I don't think Fenlon is that good of a manager that without a superior budget he's still win league titles no question.
    Personally I think the Rovers job is poison and it'll take someone from outside of the LOI with thick skin to succeed ala MON

and I hope I'm right.....

Pat Kelch
    Thanks

Question

You're right that it's the leadership above the football manager that is the real fault for the Bohes and Shels collapse but I don't think Fenlon is that good of a manager that without a superior budget he's still win league titles no question.
    Personally I think the Rovers job is poison and it'll take someone from outside of the LOI with thick skin to succeed ala MON

and I hope I'm right.....
    It's an interesting one. I think he done alright with next to nothing at Hibs. I have a fondness for Hibs many years now. He had some right arseholes on the playing staff, and the fans had expectations bordering on delusion at times (bit like at rovers) all because rangers where gone and Hearts where awful too. 2 Cup Finals and a season saving the club from relegation and left them midtable before he left was not a bad return thinking back on it, seen as Butcher era was a short lived total disaster with the same bunch of players
    Last edited by bluebellred; 11th August 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Hibs.............the fans had expectations bordering on delusion at times
    Big time, Hibs fans have always been this way, not all, but most

all because rangers where gone and Hearts where awful too

Constantly losing to probably the worst Hearts team in MANY years was too much to take for Hibs fans in the end.

Butcher was a nightmare though, and there's no doubt IMO Fenlon would've kept Hibs up

+ Reply to Thread