+ Reply to Thread

Thread: covering over an open hole on aluminium (bike frame)

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts

covering over an open hole on aluminium (bike frame)

I have no idea who i am directing this at, but would anyone know of any product that will set on aluminum and be water and air tight ?
    Flogging an old bike frame that has a tiny hole on a part of the frame - not a stress point - about the size of a cigarette burn - from friction from the wheel. Looking for something to patch it up that will hold up against the elements

so far i have found this

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ev...y/20571/2.23.2

Thanks
    Last edited by TheSaintsno.12; 1st July 2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Cyril The Judas

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    (...) any product that will set on aluminum and be water and air tight ?
    (...) tiny hole on a part of the frame - not a stress point - about the size of a cigarette burn - from friction from the wheel. Looking for something to patch it up that will hold up against the elements

so far i have found this

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ev...y/20571/2.23.2 (...)
    Hi,

Here is the short version: Why don't you just tape it?
    And now the german version (slightly longer):
    First of all: What is the exact size of that "tiny" hole and where is it situated exactly?

Well, the diameter of a cigarrete is appox. 7 mm (Auntie Google tells me) but how big is a burn, 10 mm?
    The result of "friction from the wheel"?
    ((which you didn't notice while riding the bike ))

So I reckon it'll be somewhere on the inside of one of the paired rear triangles, probably on a chain stay, not far from the bottom bracket shell, right?
    Well, if that's more or less what it looks like on your frame, your conclusion "not a stress point" might turn out as a far too optimistic guess (depending on your weight and the kind of use (esp. speed) the bike will have to stand.

This being said ...
    a filler or putty like the one you have found won't work on a bike in that place and for that kind and size of hole. (If you still dare to try, make sure you'll at least get one that'll work on alu - and not just on steel.
    Which bring's us back to square one:

What you could do is tape it with a really strong duct tape that is suitable for aluminium - or whatever is the surface of the frame (is it lacquered?).
    You could try one from sticky products for example (stickyproducts.co.uk), they have a phone no. for expert advice (+44 1724 749020) that might be helpful.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OldLuv For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLuv View Post

Hi,

Here is the short version: Why don't you just tape it?
    And now the german version (slightly longer):
    First of all: What is the exact size of that "tiny" hole and where is it situated exactly?

Well, the diameter of a cigarrete is appox. 7 mm (Auntie Google tells me) but how big is a burn, 10 mm?
    The result of "friction from the wheel"?
    ((which you didn't notice while riding the bike ))

So I reckon it'll be somewhere on the inside of one of the paired rear triangles, probably on a chain stay, not far from the bottom bracket shell, right?
    Well, if that's more or less what it looks like on your frame, your conclusion "not a stress point" might turn out as a far too optimistic guess (depending on your weight and the kind of use (esp. speed) the bike will have to stand.

This being said ...
    a filler or putty like the one you have found won't work on a bike in that place and for that kind and size of hole. (If you still dare to try, make sure you'll at least get one that'll work on alu - and not just on steel.
    Which bring's us back to square one:

What you could do is tape it with a really strong duct tape that is suitable for aluminium - or whatever is the surface of the frame (is it lacquered?).
    You could try one from sticky products for example (stickyproducts.co.uk), they have a phone no. for expert advice (+44 1724 749020) that might be helpful.

Good luck!
    Hey,

I used the bike a lot on the turbo trainer, hence not noticing it and putting the resistance down to Turbo resistance.
    yes on the chain stay close to the seat tube., deraileur side.
    its not too clise to the seat tube though and has taken a lot of miles since the hole appeared, hence not a stress point. the stress points on a chain stay would be at the point the chain stay meets the seat tube and the seat stay.... well at least i would have thought so .

Thanks for the contact details.

I want to eventually sell the frame on as its in decent nick and has a carbon fork, but this is obviously an issue.

Edit : this may do it http://www.stickyproducts.co.uk/ever...old-5904-p.asp
    Last edited by TheSaintsno.12; 1st July 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Cyril The Judas

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    Hey,

I used the bike a lot on the turbo trainer, hence not noticing it and putting the resistance down to Turbo resistance.
    yes on the chain stay close to the seat tube., deraileur side.
    its not too clise to the seat tube though and has taken a lot of miles since the hole appeared, hence not a stress point. the stress points on a chain stay would be at the point the chain stay meets the seat tube and the seat stay.... well at least i would have thought so .

Thanks for the contact details.

I want to eventually sell the frame on as its in decent nick and has a carbon fork, but this is obviously an issue.

Edit : this may do it http://www.stickyproducts.co.uk/ever...old-5904-p.asp
    Sure, once you're prepared to fill the whole chain stay...
    Unless you just want to use it as a sophisticated kind of glue to fix something else onto the chain stay such as a thin aluminium patch tape.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Sure, once you're prepared to fill the whole chain stay...
    Unless you just want to use it as a sophisticated kind of glue to fix something else onto the chain stay such as a thin aluminium patch tape.
    i see where you are going with this

this would be a lot easier if you just bought the frame off me !!!
    Cyril The Judas

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Had to get the price down first

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldLuv For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Had to get the price down first
    Between yourself and Angela, you Germans need to stop putting so much financial strain on us.
    Cyril The Judas

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSaintsno.12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If it moves and shouldnt duct tape, if it doesnt move and it should WD40.

Thats my entire set of DIY skills so use duct tape.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    If it moves and shouldnt duct tape, if it doesnt move and it should WD40.

Thats my entire set of DIY skills so use duct tape.
    ha. neither applies but thanks :P
    its basically a very small circular hole in a narrow hollow piece of aluminium
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread