+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rovers to enter reserve team in the First Division?

Patrons
    Thanks

Rovers to enter reserve team in the First Division?

Wow. This is very interesting. Did the FAI approach ALL clubs about this, or just the one...?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29780982.html

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daragho View Post
    Wow. This is very interesting. Did the FAI approach ALL clubs about this, or just the one...?

They must be hard up for 1st division teams. That's hardly worth the hassle. It also potentially gives the Homeless an edge as their reserves are playing against better quality opposition (arguable).

I'm sure there will be objections from other Premier teams.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daragho View Post

All clubs have talked about it in the past. I guess most don't think 80,000 is good value for a reserve team
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    This is done in Spain and Italy yeah?
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Spain yeah, Italy no (they don't have any reserves there).

IN Spain (and everywhere else), the teams are run somewhat independently though with players only being allowed move between clubs during the transfer windows. Those with x anount of appearances for the first team can't play for the 2nd team etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    I know bucko would be in favour of us putting a team in this, I can't see the logic behind spending 80k on them tbh
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Thanks
    Talk of expanding the u19 thing down to U17 and U15. Cant see that happening with costs involved too. Shels probably the only club with the facilities to carry it off. And even at that they just rent the AUL complex.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The under 17s was to be the next step after the u19s. I like the idea of it, but I don't see the likes of Belverdere, Cherry Orchard etc just accepting their players leaving for Pats/Rovers/Bohs etc

Patrons
    Thanks
    Yeah- very popular in Spain.

It'd be very worthwhile, but not at a cost of €60-80,000 which could only come from the main teams fund.

Its a shame because in Ireland once your 20 you either play LOI or nowhere.

I presume players playing for a B team would be treated like they are playing for an entirely different club and the team would not be eligeable for promotion/relegation (what would happen if the senior team were relegated, would that demote the B team?)

to be honest I'd love a Pats B team, but there is a bit of me that feels its a distraction from the real business of the club.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The under 17s was to be the next step after the u19s. I like the idea of it, but I don't see the likes of Belverdere, Cherry Orchard etc just accepting their players leaving for Pats/Rovers/Bohs etc

Its hard to know. Obviously if its an FAI run thing all coaches will have to be UEFA B level minimum. Not too many of them operating locally so I'd say it will break away from schoolboy sections and come under direct control of the snr clubs. Bray through their association with Joeys are probably best placed. Most others will take the express route and simply get some sort of agreement with The Orchard, Kevins, Home Farm etc imo. Clubs like that are light years ahead in schoolboy terms.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    It's done in other countries too, not only Spain. Aping the English game hasn't really done us any favours up til now, and this sort of change of tack is overdue.

Obviously the club's with the deepest pockets will benefit most at first, but this should be good for the entire league in the long run if it properly takes off.
    Last edited by oleguer presas i renom; 25th November 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    A huge problem now is there is no stepping between the 19's and senior loi. Clubs have to weigh up an 18 year old kid and decide whether or not to keep him. This will at least provide rovers with an opportunity to give kids a chance.

On the elite 17 and 15, I think they will happen, the top ddsl clubs probably need the power wrestled off them. An fai run venture would benefit development more and if the fai want it they'll get it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Its hard to know. Obviously if its an FAI run thing all coaches will have to be UEFA B level minimum. Not too many of them operating locally so I'd say it will break away from schoolboy sections and come under direct control of the snr clubs. Bray through their association with Joeys are probably best placed. Most others will take the express route and simply get some sort of agreement with The Orchard, Kevins, Home Farm etc imo. Clubs like that are light years ahead in schoolboy terms.
    From what little I've heard, the "national" u17s and u19s would be run by the senior teams and would effectively become 2 year cycles (along the same lines as UEFA currently).

They would effectively be split from the current schoolboy set ups of Pats, Rovers etc.

I'm far from an expert on it though

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post

On the elite 17 and 15, I think they will happen, the top ddsl clubs probably need the power wrestled off them. An fai run venture would benefit development more and if the fai want it they'll get it.
    Ddsl have the power to shut the game down. Look whats happening the national cups this year. Regardless of wjat most think the fai are no fools. They wont push this this out till everybody with the power to veto is on board. That will more than likely lead to Kevins, Home farm, Malahide etc playing in the U15 U17 national leagues. Lets be fair about it they are better run than most LOI clubs anyway.

We played Home Farm last week on their second pitch. Sand based and like carpet with dugouts. Had its own pavilion too.
    Last edited by AlanMc; 25th November 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Very popular in Germany aswell. Most 2nd teams of teams in the Bundesliga are 3rd/4th tier. Bayern Munich 2nds for example are walking the 4th tier
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    What happens if rovers go down?
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    What happens if rovers go down?
    You spelt 'when' wrong.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 551 Posts
    Is it possible that Pats could play Rovers B in the cup? Surely they can't compete in the cup as there would be the possibility of Rovers playing against their reserve team?
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by We are the Red Army View Post
    Is it possible that Pats could play Rovers B in the cup? Surely they can't compete in the cup as there would be the possibility of Rovers playing against their reserve team?

Its in the article in opening post, they can't play in the cups. This is same rule in all countries that do this

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Its in the article in opening post, they can't play in the cups. This is same rule in all countries that do this
    Its also a rule that players can't be registered with both teams but the Indo is trying to say that Rovers will be allowed this. We'll have to wait and see but that would be the only thing I'd have a problem with

Patrons
    Thanks
    Ddsl have the power to shut the game down. Look whats happening the national cups this year. Regardless of wjat most think the fai are no fools. They wont push this this out till everybody with the power to veto is on board. That will more than likely lead to Kevins, Home farm, Malahide etc playing in the U15 U17 national leagues. Lets be fair about it they are better run than most LOI clubs anyway.

We played Home Farm last week on their second pitch. Sand based and like carpet with dugouts. Had its own pavilion too.
    This is the whole crux of the thing. The bigger DDSL clubs wont go for it unless there involved which does fcuk all for progressing young players into our national league teams unless the likes of Kevins etc are forced to enter Senior teams into LOI, which wont happen obviously.

Structures are all over the place and that needs to change before elite divisions and player development become a reality.

Perhaps now is the time for a bigger UEFA restructure with the FA in England trying to develop young English players and the FA's in Spain/Italy etc still smarting about losing young players to English teams.

Rules stopping U20/21 players leaving for foreign clubs MIGHT be more widely accepted.
    Keeps our better young players in Ireland playing for you would hope LOI teams improving the standard of player in the league(maybe attendances follow).
    If after that they get a move abroad fair enough if they don't there not the usual disheartened 16 year old and you dont lose them form the game totally.

But DDSL clubs only interested in a quick buck sending kids away. FAI need to step in, how they do that is the massive question.

Thanks
    Ddsl have the power to shut the game down. Look whats happening the national cups this year.

What's happening????? They'll go ahead without the ddsl if need be. They objected to u19 and it went ahead.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Italian clubs do it to. Nearly all of them have Lega Pro side aligned to them.

Makes a lot of sense its affordable. They could get a lot of the top young talent from the likes of the LSL etc.. Who see it as a bigger shop window than playing in the LSL. If its going to be a youth based set up then its more attractive to scouts to see what players stand out playing at a tougher level than the LSL etc..

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noel Mernagh View Post
    This is the whole crux of the thing. The bigger DDSL clubs wont go for it unless there involved which does fcuk all for progressing young players into our national league teams unless the likes of Kevins etc are forced to enter Senior teams into LOI, which wont happen obviously.

Structures are all over the place and that needs to change before elite divisions and player development become a reality.

Perhaps now is the time for a bigger UEFA restructure with the FA in England trying to develop young English players and the FA's in Spain/Italy etc still smarting about losing young players to English teams.

Rules stopping U20/21 players leaving for foreign clubs MIGHT be more widely accepted.
    Keeps our better young players in Ireland playing for you would hope LOI teams improving the standard of player in the league(maybe attendances follow).
    If after that they get a move abroad fair enough if they don't there not the usual disheartened 16 year old and you dont lose them form the game totally.

But DDSL clubs only interested in a quick buck sending kids away. FAI need to step in, how they do that is the massive question.
    As far as I know you cant do this. Its against EU freedom of labour regulations.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Real Betis are actually playing their reserve team in La Liga this season. Or at least they're playing like they fucking are.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    As far as I know you cant do this. Its against EU freedom of labour regulations.
    Unfortunately people in Ireland believe imposing restrictions on movement is the answer, same with the radius rule currently causing murder in schoolboy football. A wider outlook is needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately people in Ireland believe imposing restrictions on movement is the answer, same with the radius rule currently causing murder in schoolboy football. A wider outlook is needed.
    The only way you'll stop lads going abroad is to offer them some competition at home. Stopping lads going abroad (or to Kerry, Cork, Tallaght, wherever) won't help any of the major issues.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The only way you'll stop lads going abroad is to offer them some competition at home. Stopping lads going abroad (or to Kerry, Cork, Tallaght, wherever) won't help any of the major issues.
    Exactly, you stand stop a kid seeking better facilities/standards of coaching etc if it's available. Stone age stuff

Thanks
    What's happening????? They'll go ahead without the ddsl if need be. They objected to u19 and it went ahead.
    The whole thing is devalued if the ddsl aint involved. They are blocking 180 of their own teams competing. Suppose thats a minor thing

Thanks
    The whole thing is devalued if the ddsl aint involved. They are blocking 180 of their own teams competing. Suppose thats a minor thing
    It's devalued yes, but you said the ddsl have the power to shut the game down....do in their bollox. The u17 will happen whether they like it or not

+ Reply to Thread