Out
    Stephen McDonnell
    Released

I read that as O last week

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kdjac For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    We have 14 midfielders and 1 of them is an Irish International, we shouldn't really be commenting on other clubs finances :-/
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    We have 14 midfielders and 1 of them is an Irish International, we shouldn't really be commenting on other clubs finances :-/
    Do midfielders cost more than other areas?
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Do midfielders cost more than other areas?
    No just that we have a ridiculous amount of them

Patrons
    Thanks
    I'd guess that Fahey is on a similar agreement (ie the wages are paid seperately to the main budget). Doesn't really matter as it's still the club that will have to pay them if anything happens
    Not as big a gamble when its a 1 year contract (obviously still a gamble though)- and in Pats case it was definitly money that wasnt ours, but was made available to us because of the opportunity.

Dundalk (as Kevo said) - negotiated sponsorship increase based upon their good showing last year, and blew this on one player.

They spent their money/ we spent someone elses - so it is quite different.

also, a 10k compo package for Horgan is still mad, he was decent last year, but not on a playing level that would mean you would pay 10k compo for him (in addition to a wage that would beat Cork City's offer (which made him one of their highest earners) AND make it worth his while to move to a shithole like Dundalk.

it strikes me that Dundalk have alot of their eggs in 1/2 baskets.

as Dodge rightly says, I dont think any of their team would displace one of our starting team.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    9 mifielders inclduing 3 wingers.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    9 mifielders inclduing 3 wingers.
    Yeah I was over exaggerating for emphasis. The point was we have loads and most of them don't come cheap.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yeah I was over exaggerating for emphasis. The point was we have loads and most of them don't come cheap.
    Some of them do. Who's offering Chambers a deal after last year for example? We're kind of lucky now that if a player wants to play in Dublin (and most do), they only have ourselves or Rovers who'll pay them. Bohs offer peanuts, Shels offer even less (mostly amateur next year)

We've 21 players (including Hoare and Durrad who are no more than expenses). Some are very well paid, some aren't.

I don't know who's who and I've no idea about our budget but it won't be too far different from last year (Fahey excepted) and by nearly all accounts we were only 3rd highest then

Patrons
    Thanks

I don't know who's who and I've no idea about our budget but it won't be too far different from last year (Fahey excepted) and by nearly all accounts we were only 3rd highest then
    Sligo have dropped theirs by 20% so I say we're second no. Which I hope I'm wrong about

Administrator
    Thanks
    We might be. I'm just saying that money wise I think we'll be about the same. There were a few players we heard Bucko was after that signed elsewhere because of money (you'd think) so we're not completely losing the run of ourselves

Yet

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    Dundalk re-signed 3 players this year that rovers offered 4 figure sums to

Sligo May have reduced their budget but it's up there

I'd say dodge more or less had it spot on with us having the 3rd highest

Rovers budget dwarfs ours and also their B team will cost them a fortune in travel expenses and no home gate to be made as season ticket holders get in free
    Add in the cops bill plus they'll have to pay to use the stadium on the extra match nights

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decokh View Post

Rovers budget dwarfs ours and also their B team will cost them a fortune in travel expenses and no home gate to be made as season ticket holders get in free
    Add in the cops bill plus they'll have to pay to use the stadium on the extra match nights
    Their average attendance is also well over 1000 better than ours, they probably have about 1,500 more season ticket holders than us. They have the biggest sponsorship deals in the league and their merchandise sales are probably higher than the rest of the league combined (thankfully Croly is doing a good job of ruining all this)

But

It would be head in the sand stuff if we weren't asking questions about our own budget. This league does have a history with champions with low crowds over spending

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rathfarnham_Saint For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    For the record I'm not suggesting we don't ask questions

I'm just saying not much has changed since last year.

Patrons
    Thanks

Except the Irish International, Mark Quigley and 95% of the other players all had to sign new contracts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts

every player would have asked for and got a rise. Our wage bill has to be up by at least 20%.
    obviously prize money, Europe and sponsorship etc will help nullify some of that but I'd say the budget is pretty different this year.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Except the Irish International, Mark Quigley and 95% of the other players all had to sign new contracts
    Quigo's on fuck all. He got 15k pay off from Rovers apparently. He told clubs he wanted to stay on Dublin so Sligo and Derry were out.

Fahey's clearly on big money but seeing as he has said numerous times he spoke to Kelleher I think it's fair to say his wages are definitely extra on the budget

Saintly could be right though, everyone could have got 20% rise

Patrons
    Thanks
    If we didn't have GK we couldn't afford this squad regardless of what people say! As long as they are one year deals we are safe enough IMO I'd worry if we where handing out 2/3 year deals again on mad money. Although I'd prefer to only spend what we earn but this is normal practise in most clubs in the world
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saintjoey For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    People are forgetting we lost 2 of our highest earners last year in Kenna & Russell, I would be surprised if any of our signings (fahey excluded) are earning near these guys (Kenna and Russell were 2 of the tougher negotiators)

For example I would reckon that the wages of Russell & Kenna would pay roughly what we are giving to Oman, Foran, Chambers and McCormock combined, I wouldnt be surprised if there was a little left over for some

Chambers is another who suffered hugely from his stint at Shams and Kavo has said himself he tore up his contract and signed for Pats for alot less than he was on at Cork.

I'm not saying we are the lowest payers in the league (we arent) - But circumstances are in our favour. We are champions and the Current Assistant Manager of Rovers told me himself not to underestimate the importance of the style of football we play, players like playing good football!

Also, no doubt we are getting good deals. I'd be 99% sure Quigley, Oman, Foran and Chambers all took pay cuts to come here. Lynch would be on a considerable amount less than Russell. Lynch was unhappy with Sligo and was happy to move.

Ok you would expect probably 50% of last years team received an improved deal of some sort, but most signed back relatively quick meaning it was relatively easy to agree terms.

Also lets not forget we have nearly €300,000 in guaranteed euro revenue (an increase of €200,000) and no doubt some of this has been made available to Bucko -

We have also sold way more season tickets and no doubt there will be an increase in sponsorships etc.

The most important thing though (as stjoey said) is the 1 year contracts- it means we are not left with legacy issues if/when our form dips and revenues drop off.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    If another team had the squad we had we would all be on here saying how they're overspending and are going bust

Patrons
    Thanks
    If another team had the squad we had we would all be on here saying how they're overspending and are going bust
    Most likely- but you ahve to look at it rationally- how many of the players we signed did we pay over the odds for?

How many renewals did we need to break the bank to achieve?

Take Fahey from the equation (who for all intents and purposes is an off the books transaction) and i would reckon we have a very similar budget to last year.

On the flip side I would guess Shams have a much reduced budget through a smaller squad, but they had to beat off significant offers other teams to sign Shep, McGuinness, Zayed etc - they along with Dundalk (bidding wars for O'Donnell, Horgan & Towell at least) have been holding a dutch auction for alot of the better signings, we havent.

I would reckon Clarke, Ger, Kenny, Bolger, Bermo and Brennan all got modest increases and they signed quickly and while there was a feel good, this indicates there wasnt much difficulty reaching agreement.

People would jump to conclusions because of the street cred of the players we signed, but how many of them did we need to outbid someone for?

Foran, Chambers, McCormock, Quigley all wanted to stay in Dublin, Lee Lynch was done before the seasons end it seems after deciding he wanted out of Sligo. Even Fahey simply called us up and told us what Rovers offered (which we didnt even match apparently).

The problems with teams assembling household names (ala rovers, shels or bohs) was that they had protracted negotiations and players bartered themselves using other deals as leverage- none of our signings have the hall marks of us having to pay over the odds to retain/sign (no 2 year deals, deals conocluded very quick) - and thats the important thing.

The players who played hardball over new deals, Kenna, Russell, Shepherd went elsewhere for more money than we offered.
    Last edited by Caolan; 23rd January 2014 at 02:21 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Most wouldn't care. No more than 4/5 have ever really hinted at other clubs wages here

Not a go at you RS, as I know you don't really care about clubs budgets either.

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 503 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    I would reckon Clarke, Ger, Kenny, Bolger, Bermo and Brennan all got modest increases and they signed quickly and while there was a feel good, this indicates there wasnt much difficulty reaching agreement.
    They reached agreement quickly because they were getting what they wanted. That would indicate were giving them a very good wage

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevo For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    They reached agreement quickly because they were getting what they wanted. That would indicate were giving them a very good wage
    No doubt everyone is getting a good wage, however I'm fairly confident we are not paying over the odds and players opinion of what they are worth hasn't been inflated by a better deal next door.

Arguably every player we signed this year (and last) is "damaged goods" for a variety of reasons, I'd argue we are likely to have gotten great value rather than the argument that we are possibly overspending.

Add to the fact most players don't want to play for Croly, want to live in dublin, like the idea of champions league and playing good football makes us pretty desirable right now.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    ah team budgets... where 100% speculation and 100% fact become very mixed up
    Cyril The Judas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    ah team budgets... where 100% speculation and 100% fact become very mixed up
    Whats your source for that?

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Whats your source for that?
    someone that is normally accurate enough, no reason to lie, flatmates uncle's dog,s former owner ...etc etc etc etc

................... FACT
    Cyril The Judas

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 503 Posts
    Heard that Boccer Bayly and Dean Kelly are signing for rovers.
    Daire Doyle signed for Drogheda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Heard that Boccer Bayly and Dean Kelly are signing for rovers.
    Kelly had agreed to join Ballinamalard.

If they go to Rovers it's pretty unbelievable how far they've fallen in 2 years

+ Reply to Thread