+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ireland has "no league' says Trap

Ian Gilzean
    Thanks

Ireland has "no league' says Trap

Giovanni Trapattoni feels that the Republic of Ireland should be proud to compete with Sweden and Austria because of the contrast in their domestic leagues.

He said: “I repeat we are proud because before the (Sweden) game we were in the same position with Sweden and Austria.

“In Ireland there is no league. Our players play in England. In Sweden and Austria there is a league.

“That is different. Maybe you do not know, but I know this.

“I was in other countries as a manager and it is different. When every game and every Sunday, there is a game in a league, it is different."

Source rte.ie

Discuss ...

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Someone on Twitter had it spot on on Friday:

"It says it all when Pat's have a midfield that can actually play football and Ireland don't"

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic View Post
    Giovanni Trapattoni feels that the Republic of Ireland should be proud to compete with Sweden and Austria because of the contrast in their domestic leagues.

He said: “I repeat we are proud because before the (Sweden) game we were in the same position with Sweden and Austria.

“In Ireland there is no league. Our players play in England. In Sweden and Austria there is a league.

“That is different. Maybe you do not know, but I know this.

“I was in other countries as a manager and it is different. When every game and every Sunday, there is a game in a league, it is different."

Source rte.ie

Discuss ...
    There's no need to use this as another stick to beat Trap with. Most of his apologists probably agree that we have no league. He's the definition of a lame duck at his stage. The writing has been on the wall for a very long time in terms of qualifying for next years WC and people who have defended him won't be swayed no matter how we fail to qualify.

Interesting comments from Greg Dyke last week about the state of the English national team and the responsibility of the EPL to provide a conveyor belt of talent. Mosty hot air, but there was a kernel of truth in there.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Says more about the FAI than it does about him I think. If you don't care about your national league, this is what happens. Doubt Delaney can name more than 3 or 4 current LOI players, never mind Trap being able to.

When he did come to Pats games, Trap arrived really late and left really early, missing the goals. Idiot. He could have learned a lot.
    Con Houlihan says Pats will never die

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Was this at q & a press conference? If it was, surely some journalist should have corrected him and considered it an insult to plenty of coaches and players not just at LOI level but at LSL and below where just as many current and future Irish internationals have learned their trade and currently are! Dickhead...

Would love to see banners across a few grounds on Friday night with "Trap; We're Not Really Here!"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Would love to see banners across a few grounds on Friday night with "Trap; We're Not Really Here!"
    Would prefer ones supporting the clubs.

Ignore him. Trap's gone within 3/4 months so what's the point in even thinking abut him

Best way to show a league here exists is for people to go to games and enjoy themselves.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    He has a better opinion of the league than the FAI.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Gonna watch the game tonight in my local: I will be wearing my Pats jersey just to be sure that I havent been deluded for the last 52 years and like "Dallas" it was all a dream.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnylowry View Post
    gonna watch the game tonight in my local: I will be wearing my pats jersey just to be sure that i havent been deluded for the last 52 years and like "dallas" it was all a dream.
    so he's the jinx!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Come on you supersaints For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post
    so he's the jinx!!!
    NOt me I saw them win it once in 1961....

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnylowry View Post
    NOt me I saw them win it once in 1961....
    Shit, that means it's the rest of us.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    How many games in our league did Delaney attend this season.I have never seen him in Richer.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Here's an example for ye.

Kevin Doyle moved from Cork City to Reading in June 2005.
    He was called up for the Ireland squad in October 2005.
    Did he suddenly become a remarkably different player in those 4 months, a large chunk of which was the off-season for Reading?
    The fact that players who play in Ireland can move to England and suddenly be called up says more about the lack of the manager's ability to spot talent and the baggage he carries in his head about the 'perception' of football in this country, than it says anything about the standard of football in this country.
    It's laughable and ridiculous.
    It reminds me of a barstooler friend of mine who said he saw a match televised from Tallaght and told me he was impressed..... that it 'looked like real football!'
    From the Ireland manager down (or up?) to the ordinary punter, the attitude is 'if the stadium and the camera angles and the attendance etc. etc. look like shit, then the standard of play must be shit'.
    You get Sligo and the Scum in front of a packed Lansdowne and suddenly it's all 'jaysis, these guys are good!'
    It's bollocks and it annoys the hell out of me but until we have investment in facilities in this country, it's not going to change.
    The standard of the Scottish Premier League, perhaps bar one smelly example, is no better than ours, yet because they received investment from the British government after the stadium disasters over there and continue to get Sky TV money, it looks better.
    We get no government money and no television money. No other league in the world could survive without that investment.
    It's amazing that the clubs are surviving. They should all be given fucking awards.
    Last edited by Paddydillon; 13th September 2013 at 11:12 AM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paddydillon For This Useful Post:

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddydillon View Post
    Here's an example for ye.

It reminds me of a barstooler friend of mine who said he saw a match televised from Tallaght and told me he was impressed..... that it 'looked like real football!'
    From the Ireland manager down (or up?) to the ordinary punter, the attitude is 'if the stadium and the camera angles and the attendance etc. etc. look like shit, then the standard of play must be shit'.
    You get Sligo and the Scum in front of a packed Lansdowne and suddenly it's all 'jaysis, these guys are good!'
    It's bollocks and it annoys the hell out of me but until we have investment in facilities in this country, it's not going to change.
    The standard of the Scottish Premier League, perhaps bar one smelly example, is no better than ours, yet because they received investment from the British government after the stadium disasters over there and continue to get Sky TV money, it looks better.
    We get no government money and no television money. No other league in the world could survive without that investment.
    It's amazing that the clubs are surviving. They should all be given fucking awards.
    Great point. If you put ManU and Liverpool playing in Richmond Park in front of a crowd of 1200 how good would the game look to the casual viewer ? I watched Chelsea v ManU the other week and was bored silly. So much of football is about engagement with the team and caring about the result. That's the only way to market the game here in my view.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
    Great point. If you put ManU and Liverpool playing in Richmond Park in front of a crowd of 1200 how good would the game look to the casual viewer ? I watched Chelsea v ManU the other week and was bored silly. So much of football is about engagement with the team and caring about the result. That's the only way to market the game here in my view.
    Investment in facilities first and then market the bejaysus out of it. You can't market crap facilities. If you put lipstick on a pig.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddydillon View Post
    If you put lipstick on a pig.....
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to St. Robbie For This Useful Post:

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Yep, it's still a pig.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddydillon For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread