+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheltenham preview.

New Signing
    Thanks

Cheltenham preview.

Hi there,

Set up a website with three guys from college, TalkingBalls.net.

We have been fortunate enough to be joined by various Horse Racing personalities previewing their chances on the Festival. So far, we have been joined by trainer David Pipe, jockey Aidan Coleman and guests appearing over the next week or so include ATR's Matt Chapman, Willie Mullins, Richard Johnson, Choc Thornton, Barry Geraghty and the main man himself Paddy Power.

Some great insight given by them all as Cheltenham draws closer, don't be afraid to check out the audio on the site.

As well as that, we will be joined by League of Ireland players from each individual team before the start of the season.

All feedback is welcome. Cheers, sorry for the plug.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darraghfar For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darraghfar View Post
    Cheers, sorry for the plug.
    Don't be. Any Pats fan can plug whatever sports site or personal blog they want here.

Good luck with it
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Peter Carpenter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darraghfar View Post
    Hi there,

Set up a website with three guys from college, TalkingBalls.net.

We have been fortunate enough to be joined by various Horse Racing personalities previewing their chances on the Festival. So far, we have been joined by trainer David Pipe, jockey Aidan Coleman and guests appearing over the next week or so include ATR's Matt Chapman, Willie Mullins, Richard Johnson, Choc Thornton, Barry Geraghty and the main man himself Paddy Power.

Some great insight given by them all as Cheltenham draws closer, don't be afraid to check out the audio on the site.

As well as that, we will be joined by League of Ireland players from each individual team before the start of the season.

All feedback is welcome. Cheers, sorry for the plug.
    Good work lads. Coleman seems quite high on Katenko in the GC

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Cape Tirbulation for the GC... u heard it here first ... stays all day

New Signing
    Thanks
    Cheers lads,

It's good to get the views of those who are interacting with the horses on a daily basis and know a hell of a lot morw about them than we do. As for the Gold cup, fancy Sir Des Champs, likes to come off a strong gallop and the drying ground will suit him. Don't rule out Long Run despite the clown that on board. In 24 starts, he's never been out of the top 3, 12 of the Grade 1's.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    Cape Tirbulation for the GC... u heard it here first ... stays all day
    Backed him in the Argento but have him a fair bit below Gold Cup-winning class. I don't think the form of that Argento amounts to much - Grands Crus blew up again, Hunt Ball didn't get the trip and he was left fighting out the finish with Imperial Commander, who as much as I love him, was a 12 year old completing his first race for over 2 years. Place chance at best I'd say, though at his price it wouldn't be a bad bet.

Katenko could be anything but he travels so well on heavy ground you'd have to think better ground won't suit him.

Long Run will probably place but will only win if the race is set up for him because of the muppet riding him.

I find it difficult to get a handle on how good Sir Des Champs really is. Leave aside all the stable talk and the form is questionable (and I don't really buy all this 'Mullins is getting him ready for one big run' line). He beat nothing close to Grade One winning standard in the Jewson last year. His jumping this season had been sketchy up until his last appearance but that Hennessy was very slowly run (8 seconds slower than the Lexus and on better ground too). Also Flemenstar was found to have a lung infection after it yet Des only beat him by 2 lengths of whatever it was - hardly advertises the form.

If Silviniaco Conti can handle the track he could be the one. It's hard to find flaws in Bobs Worth's form, especially around Cheltenham but the four month layoff and the fact that he's never competed in a Grade One outside novice company makes 3/1 too skinny for me. Looks like First Lieutenant will run in the Ryanair - would have been very sweet on him for the big one given good ground.

11 days to go now. Have Tuesday to Friday booked off work. As Matt Chapman would put it - 'Yeeehaaaaawwww!!'
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Peter Carpenter
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

I find it difficult to get a handle on how good Sir Des Champs really is. Leave aside all the stable talk and the form is questionable (and I don't really buy all this 'Mullins is getting him ready for one big run' line). He beat nothing close to Grade One winning standard in the Jewson last year. His jumping this season had been sketchy up until his last appearance but that Hennessy was very slowly run (8 seconds slower than the Lexus and on better ground too). Also Flemenstar was found to have a lung infection after it yet Des only beat him by 2 lengths of whatever it was - hardly advertises the form.
    '
    Have backed SDC since he won at Chelt two years ago. He's really been disappointing this year. The only thing i can say with confidence about him is that he is well able to handle the trip. I know he came 4th in the Lexus but he looked like the one that was staying on best. I really hope he can do win it, would be nice to see the GC coming back here. Really think this years festival is going to be a cracker and can see the Irish having a good few winners

Patrons
    Thanks
    with the amount of experts on here (i say that seriously) may be a fund raiser next year for the patrons section as in one of them race preview night question & answers type....
    formally turnstyler!

New Signing
    Thanks
    Spoke to Willie Mullins today, he told me his best bet of the Festival would be Diakali in the Triumph. Reckons he'll come on leaps and bounds from his last run. Personally, can't have it, but who am I to doubt the great man.

Also, with regards to SDC, Mullins pointed to the much stronger gallop that he'll get in the Gold Cup, which is right. He idled out in front the last day out, and yeah, he hasn't been overly impressive all year, but I do think he's the one. He's never a horse that's going to win by 10+ lengths.

Agree with Gaz that the 3/1 on Bob's Worth is way too short given his four month lay off. My banker of the Festival is Pont Alexandre. Though he's not too big of a price, the horse is a different class. For a big each-way bet, going with Fiveforthree in the World Hurdle. Giddy up!
    Last edited by darraghfar; 1st March 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Peter Carpenter
    Thanks
    Well Katenko doesn't have a chance now as he's been scrapped from the race. Feel bad for Coleman

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuller View Post
    with the amount of experts on here (i say that seriously) may be a fund raiser next year for the patrons section as in one of them race preview night question & answers type....
    I'm sure every bookie in Ireland would love that.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Moyle Park in the bumper was sold for 250k.. he is sure to run a big race at a big price..... Hell be one to watch.

+ Reply to Thread