+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1171

Thread: Tonight's Football Part II

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 551 Posts
    Now that Cork are into the third qualifying round, does anyone know if turners cross is up to standard to host that stage? Parking is a nightmare down there on a match night, surely that'll hold them back in Uefa's eyes and they'll have to play it elsewhere
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by We are the Red Army View Post
    Now that Cork are into the third qualifying round, does anyone know if turners cross is up to standard to host that stage? Parking is a nightmare down there on a match night, surely that'll hold them back in Uefa's eyes and they'll have to play it elsewhere
    Turners Cross is OK yeah. Parking just has to be "available" We could use the oblates to tick that box for example
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    F*ck the begrudgers.
    Fair play to Dundalk. Extra €7m now guaranteed?
    Time for us to up our game.
    Last edited by Paddydillon; 2nd August 2016 at 10:30 PM.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddydillon View Post
    F*ck the begrudgers.
    Fair play to Dundalk. Extra €7m now guaranteed?
    Time for us to up our game.
    Up our game? What are you suggesting, a bank raid?

Everyone said when Rovers made the group stages of the Europa League that they'd dominate for a decade and obviously that failed to materialize. But this is different gravy - we're talking at least €6 more than Rovers earned that time.

Fair play to them and all that but the rest of us are now relying on them fcuking up royally with this windfall if we're to get anywhere near them.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 740 Posts
    Up our game!? We can't even do that now, so being €7m behind them as well is gonna make that impossible. What are people thinking congratulating them and wishing them well? I don't get it. This is a team that is in a different stratosphere to most in the league now, who are going for 3 in a row, won the Cup last year, and now have an unrivalled warchest. I've said it a million times and I still don't get get, why do some Irish fans of rival team wish others well when it comes to Europe, it has to be a purely Irish thing. Coefficient? Yeah, I might want them to win the odd game to keep that up. But to win €7m?? I just don't get the logic. This has a direct affect on our team in this league. If people don't think it does well then I give up. As Gaz said, this eclipses what the Homeless made financially. Very worrying for the rest of us. If they make the Champions League, we may as well all pack up and go home.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Palmerstown Saint For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    I can see them getting Fagan next season now, we should be signing him to a 2 year deal now

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    I can see them getting Fagan next season now, we should be signing him to a 2 year deal now
    can't force him to sign it.

Fagan will be offered the longest contract, and the most money, we can afford. his last deal was 2 years. That's a given.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Hahahaha!
    Yes, let's go hide under a rock, sure we'll never be able to compete with them!
    A club who just a few years ago were on their uppers with a team in the play-offs, who got their shit together and punched way above their weight, getting a bit of luck here and there on the way.
    I don't want Dundalk to get all this glory and money - I'm only happy because it shows the potential for clubs who get their act together. So it shows what St Patrick's Athletic can achieve but it also exposes how much we've been lacking. We've been in Europe 9 of the last 10 years. We can't say we haven't given ourselves enough opportunities. Yet some fans see Europe as a distraction from the 'real' business of domestic games. Well f*ck that shit.
    The key to the long term sustainability of this club is success in Europe and that means winning games against higher ranked teams. Winning the League is great for the honours list and great for amazing nights out and the craic. But it's temporary and does nothing to get the kind of finance that will improve our facilities or help to safeguard against future crises. Just because Rovers f*cked it up doesn't mean we would.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddydillon For This Useful Post:

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    They had 5 former Pats players in their squad last night and of them only Rogers was ever a key player for us. That shows the margins in quality between them and us (or anyone else in the league) are not insurmountable in the medium term, and what they've achieved could be achieved by other teams if they get the rub of the green - it was touch and go against the Icelanders, don't forget.

The prize money is unheard of but how are they going to spend it? Even if they signed what they thought was the best player in every position (like Drogs or Shels did) the difference in quality between players at the top clubs is minimal now.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    What Dundalk done last night was great for the league, they will now have the finances to dominate for years that's for sure but I'm a firm believer that one big wave lifts all ships, the extra co-officiant gained from this will benefit teams, European games becoming regular in Ireland will benefit the league in general

Fair play to them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to decokh For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decokh View Post
    the extra co-officiant gained from this will benefit teams,
    Dundalk added 0.05 to our score last night. They've added less than Cork for example.

Whatever reason you have for supporting Dundalk (or other clubs), do't let coefficient be one

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 740 Posts
    It's like talking to the wall Dodge. People saying it lifts our coefficient, grand, but as you pointed out, not to the extent that people think. And give it a rest that they got the rub of the green, a bit of luck staying up and then went on to dominate so good luck to them. They had huge amounts of money pumped into them. There was no plucky underdog story. If they were in the same financial situation they were when they nearly went down (and bust) they wouldn't have won the league the year after. I'm not saying they didn't work their nuts off to get there, but it was stacked in their favour when the money piled in. You'd swear it was the bucket collection that was the reason they became successful.So that leaves the rest of the reasons. And there is NONE that benefit Pats. Ultimately that's all I care about. Again I'll say it, this Dundalk team are WAY ahead of the Homeless team that qualified. The Homeless ended up with around €1.4m, Dundalk have secured €7m as a minimum.

Let that sink in. That's all profit. That's not only a different league, it's a different sport altogether!! An Irish club will go through €1.4m in no time as we've seen, but €7m?? How far do people want to see them going? Qualifying for the Champions League and the extra €12m that goes with that? Come on, some fans are all for supporting an Irish team, how far does that stretch to? I'd like to know that answer.

Only in Ireland. Ask Utd fans about whether they want City to do well, or Celtic and Rangers fans, Real and Barça.

Headbangers.
    Last edited by Palmerstown Saint; 3rd August 2016 at 02:05 PM.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    There's no guarantee that Dundalk will dominate for years to come. Granted they've a far better chance of dominating than anyone else but a number of things could go wrong for them:

1) They start spending silly money on player contracts offering bigger money and longer contracts to keep current players and get new ones. They'll end up with a bigger squad full of players who don't have to try too hard because they can't be sacked.
    2) Stephen Kenny gets an offer he can't refuse, maybe from a Championship club. He'll probably bring most of the coaching staff with him. They replace him with Fenlon. All their money disappears in year 1 with no success.
    3) Their better players move abroad. Championship clubs earn the best part of €4m a year from Sky before they kick a ball so Dundalk's money is no guarantee that they can offer contracts as good as some English clubs. Also if Kenny does go he's likely to bring a few players with him.
    4) They sign players from other LOI clubs who just don't fit in to their way of doing things causing rifts in the squad.

They also have to invest money into their pitch and their stadium. At least if they use some of it on that they'll have something to show for it when it all goes wrong.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmerstown Saint View Post
    It's like talking to the wall Dodge. People saying it lifts our coefficient, grand, but as you pointed out, not to the extent that people think. And give it a rest that they got the rub of the green, a bit of luck staying up and then went on to dominate so good luck to them. They had huge amounts of money pumped into them. There was no plucky underdog story. If they were in the same financial situation they were when they nearly went down (and bust) they wouldn't have won the league the year after. I'm not saying they didn't work their nuts off to get there, but it was stacked in their favour when the money piled in. You'd swear it was the bucket collection that was the reason they became successful.So that leaves the rest of the reasons. And there is NONE that benefit Pats. Ultimately that's all I care about. Again I'll say it, this Dundalk team are WAY ahead of the Homeless team that qualified. The Homeless ended up with around €1.4m, Dundalk have secured €7m as a minimum.

Let that sink in. That's all profit. That's not only a different league, it's a different sport altogether!! An Irish club will go through €1.4m in no time as we've seen, but €7m?? How far do people want to see them going? Qualifying for the Champions League and the extra €12m that goes with that? Come on, some fans are all for supporting an Irish team, how far does that stretch to? I'd like to know that answer.

Only in Ireland. Ask Utd fans about whether they want City to do well, or Celtic and Rangers fans, Real and Barça.

Headbangers.
    Needless to say I don't agree - but that's still a good post!
    And yes, the whole co-efficient thing is overblown - Irish clubs rising from our current standing of 41 of 54 can actually have a detrimental effect on our co-efficient (being put into later rounds, we don't get the points from winning the earlier 'easier' ones). But I still like decokh's point about one big wave and fair play etc. etc.

By the way, how much did Dundalk have pumped into them? I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Paddydillon; 3rd August 2016 at 04:29 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddydillon For This Useful Post:

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Dundalk are not world beaters but are the fittest team in the league, are highly organised and super motivated. Everyone one of them has a job, knows his job and does his job. I was up there last night and after a nervy start Dundalk were the better team. The win was no fluke. Player for player they are not much better than us. However ff ever there was a team where the sum is greater than the parts then Dundalk is it

Last nights Dundalk team vs our team that started at Wexford.

Rogers Clarke

Gannon O'Brien
    Massey Bermo
    Barrett Hoare
    Boyle Dennehy

Sheilds Treacy
    O'Donnell Kelly
    Finn Timlin
    Horgan Dennehy
    Mountenay Conan

McMillan Christy

I'd definitely only take Finn, O'Donnell and Horgan. Might look at one or two others.

Dundalk's success is all down to Kenny. He lost Hoban's 20 goals, then he lost Towell and still managed to replace then with Davy McMillan who has suddenly become a goal machine. That is some achievement.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shoe shine boy For This Useful Post:

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Gannon, Boyle and Shields would certainly get onto our team atm. Only Fagan, Bermo, Clarke and possibly Hoare would be starters for me from a combined Pats/Dundalk team.

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    Same thought was going through my head last night. Would be very surprised if they don't go for him, and equally surprised if they don' get him. Not good at all.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Only bermo and Christy would get into a combined team. Hoare might and none of the others would get near it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noel Mernagh View Post
    Only bermo and Christy would get into a combined team. Hoare might and none of the others would get near it.
    Clarke's better than Rogers but they're the only 3. Darren Dennehy/Hoare are better than Barrett too but Gartland and Boyle would be the CB pairing.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Naturally we are all going to have a view on who is better than who. The point I'm trying to make is that really player for player there is not much in it.

Dundalk have real leadership in O'Donnell who was head and shoulders above everyone else against Bate. They also have game changers in Horgan and Finn.

However the real difference seems to be in what is happening off the pitch. Who can honestly say that they were bothered when the likes of Gannon, McMillan, Rogers and Meenan left Pats?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to shoe shine boy For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    They're on drugs.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

New Signing
    Thanks
    Every single dundalk player would walk into this pats team.

Quote Originally Posted by shoe shine boy View Post
    Dundalk are not world beaters but are the fittest team in the league, are highly organised and super motivated. Everyone one of them has a job, knows his job and does his job. I was up there last night and after a nervy start Dundalk were the better team. The win was no fluke. Player for player they are not much better than us. However ff ever there was a team where the sum is greater than the parts then Dundalk is it

Last nights Dundalk team vs our team that started at Wexford.

Rogers Clarke

Gannon O'Brien
    Massey Bermo
    Barrett Hoare
    Boyle Dennehy

Sheilds Treacy
    O'Donnell Kelly
    Finn Timlin
    Horgan Dennehy
    Mountenay Conan

McMillan Christy

I'd definitely only take Finn, O'Donnell and Horgan. Might look at one or two others.

Dundalk's success is all down to Kenny. He lost Hoban's 20 goals, then he lost Towell and still managed to replace then with Davy McMillan who has suddenly become a goal machine. That is some achievement.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that there will be just as many Poles as Irish at the Aviva......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InchicoreSaints12 View Post
    Every single dundalk player would walk into this pats team.
    McMillan ahead of Christy? really?
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Clarke's better than Rogers
    Clarke's an excellent 'keeper, but absolutely no way is he better than Rogers

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Clarke's an excellent 'keeper, but absolutely no way is he better than Rogers
    I'd say they're about equal in terms of shot stopping but Clarkie has better distribution. I'd pick Clarkie ahead of Rogers every time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yeah, Rogers is a little too error prone. McNulty is probably best in the league. Not much between Clarke, Rogers and him though

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    So England's going to have 4 Champions League Group Stages places GUARANTEED from 2018. This is getting ridiculous.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddydillon View Post
    So England's going to have 4 Champions League Group Stages places GUARANTEED from 2018. This is getting ridiculous.
    It's not just England, it's the top 4 places clubs in Europes top 4 ranked leagues (currently Spain England Germany and Italy) that will have a guaranteed group stage place from 2018-19 onwards
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by We are the Red Army View Post
    It's not just England, it's the top 4 places clubs in Europes top 4 ranked leagues (currently Spain England Germany and Italy) that will have a guaranteed group stage place from 2018-19 onwards
    So it's ridiculous x4.

+ Reply to Thread