+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48

Thread: Pubs closing

  1. #1
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,523
    Thanks
    1,008
    Thanked 887 Times in 452 Posts

    Pubs closing

    There seems to be a recent spate of pubs closing lately the submarine went recently and then on Thursday the halfway house was seized anyone know of any others that are gone both were landmark pubs in their day.

  2. #2
    Curtis Fleming tom the gom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    562
    Thanked 217 Times in 108 Posts
    halfway house beside phoenix park? heard about the sub alright, busy pub but its a kip.
    One love *** One club

  3. #3
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Virtual Richmond
    Posts
    2,574
    Thanks
    1,144
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 538 Posts
    No, the Halfway House in Walkinstown. Heard the receivers are into the Stone Boat as well

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,902
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Lads we're all gonna have to start drinking more.simple as that

  5. #5
    Ricky O'Flaherty
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clondalkin
    Posts
    1,175
    Thanks
    1,557
    Thanked 735 Times in 290 Posts
    That's sad. My oul lad used to go all the way from Bray to drink in the Halfway House.

  6. #6
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,870
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Lads we're all gonna have to start drinking more.simple as that
    Don't know the specifics of The Sub or The Halfway, but loads of pubs closing despite no real drop in punters. Just landlords who weren't happy with their lot, borrowed money to either buy other pubs or "improve" the ones they already had, and when the banks come looking for the money they don't have it.

    How many landlords own one pub?

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Don't know the specifics of The Sub or The Halfway, but loads of pubs closing despite no real drop in punters. Just landlords who weren't happy with their lot, borrowed money to either buy other pubs or "improve" the ones they already had, and when the banks come looking for the money they don't have it.
    Might be true of some, but there's absolutely a drop in numbers going to the pub.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  8. #8
    John McDonnell
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Thanks
    864
    Thanked 735 Times in 293 Posts
    Heard about the Halfway House last night and its also speculated that the Blackforge could be in trouble. Tough times for some pubs.

  9. #9
    Noel Mernagh
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 139 Times in 44 Posts
    The Sub spent thousands on some mad air conditioning system that was supposed to clear the smell of smoke from the place and then a few weeks later the smoking ban came in.

  10. #10
    Ian Gilzean
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    460
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 162 Times in 72 Posts
    I heard that the Stoneboat in Sundrive Road is also in trouble. Not sure yet whether it has been closed yet or not...

  11. #11
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    inchicore
    Posts
    956
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 670 Times in 198 Posts
    4 roads crumlin gone / going (meeting place for crumlin hoops / scum)
    formally turnstyler!

  12. #12
    Dinny Lowry Cian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,065
    Thanks
    1,269
    Thanked 726 Times in 368 Posts
    The trend here seems to be Crumlin/Walkinstown pubs getting shut down. Which can only mean the locals from there will drift over into Inchicore. God help us.

  13. #13
    Ian Gilzean
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    460
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 162 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tuller View Post
    4 roads crumlin gone / going (meeting place for crumlin hoops / scum)
    Actually I heard one of the pubs on Sundrive was in trouble and thought it was the Stoneboat. Having checked, it seems it was the Four Roads.

    Seems like the Stoneboat is ok. For now, anyway

  14. #14
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Most of the pubs closing are pubs the owners gambled with. (like the black lion).

    Sadly for the owners were putting them up for collateral for other projects which tanked. They usually close for a number of days then reopen.

    The Sub I heard was tied in to the whole ashleaf crashing.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  15. #15
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,870
    Thanks
    510
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Might be true of some, but there's absolutely a drop in numbers going to the pub.
    No doubt there are pubs that have seen a drop, but it would have to be a massive one to lead to the pub closing full-stop. Even the worst hit ones could just restrict their opening to peak times to minimize the impact.

    In most cases, pubs close because of greed.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:


  17. #16
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post

    In most cases, pubs close because of greed.
    Yeah some were for property speculation.

    I know of at least one but which guy staked his on a business which would have employed loads. Pity the banks don't look favourably on these type of things as this is the type of stuff that will get people off the dole and back to work.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  18. #17
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,582
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Yeah some were for property speculation.

    I know of at least one but which guy staked his on a business which would have employed loads. Pity the banks don't look favourably on these type of things as this is the type of stuff that will get people off the dole and back to work.
    Obviously don't know the circumstances of this particular case Al but usually when I've heard that sort of rhetoric the creation of jobs would have been a fortunate by-product - the primary motivation would have been to make MILLIONS for the guy doing the staking. As regards the banks, 'looking favourably' on these debts would require more taxpayers' money being pumped into them to recapatilise them. Don't see why I should foot the bill for somebody else's poor investment choices (any more than I already am anyway).
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

  19. #18
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Obviously don't know the circumstances of this particular case Al but usually when I've heard that sort of rhetoric the creation of jobs would have been a fortunate by-product - the primary motivation would have been to make MILLIONS for the guy doing the staking. As regards the banks, 'looking favourably' on these debts would require more taxpayers' money being pumped into them to recapatilise them. Don't see why I should foot the bill for somebody else's poor investment choices (any more than I already am anyway).
    This lad stuck up his pub as he couldn't get working capital. Ironically the business failed due to the economic climate caused by banks dicking around. More a vicious circle than a golden one.

    You know yourself Gaz the SMEs will lead us out of this not big business or big government.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  20. #19
    Pat Kelch
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
    The problem with pub closures in the area is simply the amount of pubs within 10 mins walking distance of each other
    Eleanora, blackforge, halfway house, long mile, the kestrel ,cherry tree ,village inn, ryans, horseshoe, the sub a couple up in greentrees the couple on sundrive aswell as the gate n sheerys in crumlin,
    If u start early enough thats some pub crawl

  21. #20
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saint79 View Post
    The problem with pub closures in the area is simply the amount of pubs within 10 mins walking distance of each other
    Eleanora, blackforge, halfway house, long mile, the kestrel ,cherry tree ,village inn, ryans, horseshoe, the sub a couple up in greentrees the couple on sundrive aswell as the gate n sheerys in crumlin,
    If u start early enough thats some pub crawl
    The inchicore crawl is

    Kellys
    Slatts
    Village inn
    Clearys
    CIE club
    Black lion
    Workmans
    Croughs
    Mcds
    Taveys
    Coffeys
    The glen.

    Never finished it once. In fairness there used to be the Jockey in there too in my sauce days.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:


  23. #21
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    The inchicore crawl is

    Kellys
    Slatts
    Village inn
    Clearys
    CIE club
    Black lion
    Workmans
    Croughs
    Mcds
    Taveys
    Coffeys
    The glen.

    Never finished it once. In fairness there used to be the Jockey in there too in my sauce days.
    Pussy. The patriots topped it off too BTW
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  24. #22
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Pussy. The patriots topped it off too BTW
    Fuck That. The Patriots is in Kilmainham.

    Technically Ruby Finnigans is in Inchicore too but when you go under that bridge you leave civilization. I mean there's even a GAA club under there!!!!!!!!
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:


  26. #23
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    No the Bridge is the border. Everyone knows that.

    I suppose we have the Hilton now too
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  27. #24
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No the Bridge is the border. Everyone knows that.

    I suppose we have the Hilton now too
    Is that Kilmainham?
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:


  29. #25
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Nope. The borders are; South Circular road, train tracks, canal. Everything between them is Inchicore IMO

    Kilmainham Gaol, for example, is in Inchicore

    Rowntrees (where the hotel is now for the kids...) used to have a TV ad "From Inchicore with love"
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  30. #26
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

    Rowntrees (where the hotel is now for the kids...) used to have a TV ad "From Inchicore with love"
    That's very true.

    Think I better start the next one in the Hilton. Can't see us being entertained at the end for some reason.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  31. #27
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    They will if you're looking for a bed for the night...
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  32. #28
    Administrator Slavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Praha, CZ
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    When I lived in Seven Oaks accross from Liffey Gaels we were officially classed as Inchicore. Was told it is as far as the trafic lights just before the turn up to Landen Road (just before Ruby's)

  33. #29
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,426
    Thanks
    1,505
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    When I lived in Seven Oaks accross from Liffey Gaels we were officially classed as Inchicore. Was told it is as far as the trafic lights just before the turn up to Landen Road (just before Ruby's)
    I can say I live in Barcelona but that'd be a lie too.

    You were in Ballyer
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  34. #30
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,582
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I can say I live in Barcelona but that'd be a lie too.

    You were in Ballyer
    No that bottom part of Sarsfield Road is Inchicore alright. There's a sign at the lights there as you come under the railway bridge coming from Inchicore with '8' as the postcode on it.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts