+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kenny given the axe

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks

Stephen Kenny given the axe

I see Rovers sacked Stephen Kenny today. Bit of a joke if you ask me. So every Rovers manager who doesn't win the league can expect the same. You think they would have at least waited until the end of the season to make a decision like that. They are in the quarters of the fai cup and the final of the League Cup. Very spoiled lot. Who are they going to replace him with? Cooke? Would he want to bother with the grief that goes with the job?

Patrons
    Thanks
    writing on the wall really ha glad they did not wait had a bet with a scum supporter when they appointed him that he would not last the season...now i wonder why he's not answering his phone .....
    formally turnstyler!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 651 Posts
    bad news for us IMO
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    bad news for us IMO
    why? (scum rovers extra words)
    formally turnstyler!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tuller View Post
    they clearly werent playing for Kenny and they clearly have good players capable of winning every game between now and the end of the season (bar Sligo). They can only improve IMO and we have to play them this day week when they could be on the up and playing for a new manager and could have also won the league cup. I'm not saying this ^^^^^^ will 100% be the case, just i'd rather Kenny stayed and fucked them up firther
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tuller View Post
    Coz a new manager could actually get them playing ball. Kenny can't.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Patrons
    Thanks
    they seem worried about Glass being in charge
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    they seem worried about Glass being in charge
    He might crack under the pressure.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    apparently he's shattered after the game last night
    Cyril The Judas

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSaintsno.12 For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    he's all talk and the players will see right through him
    Cyril The Judas

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheSaintsno.12 For This Useful Post:

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    I think it could be good for us. Doubt they'll have a new manager in place by our game. A temporary one is all they'll have at best. Also Drogheda manager (Cook) will be linked with the job. Hopefully this will mean that they drop point because the it unsettles the players.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Tipped Doolin for the job at the start of the season. It's his now for the taking.

Problems at Shels. Matthews looking for 7k payout which the board have refused. Expect Kenny to surface there next.

Patrons
    Thanks
    dont see kenny taking a job anywhere for awhile, he would most likely lose money if he takes a job
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    dont see kenny taking a job anywhere for awhile, he would most likely lose money if he takes a job
    Won't lose money. Even if he takes a job for 200 a week, Rovers will have to pay him the difference to his full Rovers wage
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Won't lose money. Even if he takes a job for 200 a week, Rovers will have to pay him the difference to his full Rovers wage
    ah didn't know that
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

New Signing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He should take a job and work for free then, that would really piss them off

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to your hero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    He might crack under the pressure.

Bit of a Tulip, cant see them getting a pint against us
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Agree with see up yonder. Very spoiled lot. Players need time to adjust to top clubs and managers are no different. He never pushed for a title with Derry it was always going to take him time to get himself in order with Rovers. Obviously don't know him personally but he comes across as a nice and positive guy. Wouldn't wish it on anyone having to deal with the abuse from their scummy bandwagoner fans.

If he had gotten them their first FAI Cup in 25 years and won them that league cup what then??? They'd still be in Europe having won 2 trophies. I'd have taken them if you'd have offered them to me at the start of the season.

What happens now if Shels go out and beat them on Friday??? Who will they blame then??? More to the point who do they think is going to come in and rescue them??? A good few on their forum actually reckon that Roy Keane is going to come in and manage them next season. Laughable stuff.

I really hate them and their grandiose delusions about who they are and where they should be. If things stay the same this year then this will be the 7th time in the last 10 seasons that we've finished above them in the league, we've a better European record than they do and we do it on a much smaller budget without having any stadia handed to us. Even with all that in mind we still don't spout any of that "we're too good for the LOI" nonsense that is the mindset of the majority of their fans.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by see View Post
    I see Rovers sacked Stephen Kenny today. Bit of a joke if you ask me. So every Rovers manager who doesn't win the league can expect the same. You think they would have at least waited until the end of the season to make a decision like that. They are in the quarters of the fai cup and the final of the League Cup. Very spoiled lot. Who are they going to replace him with? Cooke? Would he want to bother with the grief that goes with the job?
    Agree 100%. I still think Kenny is a decent manager and to sack him with so few games left is a bit silly I think. Amounts to little more than a hissy fit because they seem to think they are entitled to win the league every year now. However, let them at it. If they think continually rotating managers is the way to get success, all the better for the rest of us.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    http://www.paddypower.com/football/f...grp_ids=757518

Hahahaha Con Murphy 250/1 to be the next Rovers manager.

robbo
    kenny reckons he didnt see itcomin .....fuck me stevie wonder seen the writing on the wall ...........

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 387 Posts
    Guy who told me Crolly was coming to Pats before it was known was telling me yesterday he's looking at the Scum job big time. Not the happiest of campers apparently. Take from that what you will.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Templer View Post
    Guy who told me Crolly was coming to Pats before it was known was telling me yesterday he's looking at the Scum job big time. Not the happiest of campers apparently. Take from that what you will.
    Even if he was looking at it, doesn't mean he'd get it. No harm in ambition, though. Would explain TCs run-ins with J Mac and MON.

And although players only seem to have good things to say about him, he's probably credited with a greater influence than he might have in terms of our playing style. Bucko played great football in his first spell here, and at both Rovers and Fingal. Johnny Mac's teams also played good ball before and after TC. And Rovers lumped it most of the time when he coached there.

Wouldn't like to loose him, though.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Shows that having fans running a club can cause as many problems as it solves. This looks like a populist, kneejerk reaction to Bohs beating them in Tallaght for the first time, even though by most accounts Rovers deserved to win but had no luck (hit the crossbar twice). As said above, the timing is at best questionable. You'd wonder if the motivation here was to improve the team or head off any opposition to the Chairman's position.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    You'd wonder if the motivation here was to improve the team or head off any opposition to the Chairman's position.
    Second bit is almost certainly true and like Sadlier with Kenna the board have to take most of the stick as they're the ones who effectively headhunted him for the job. They didn't interview anyone else for it.

No one could argue that Kenny was a good appointment though. Handed guts of a title winning side and the biggest budget in the country. They've won once at home since April in the league
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Shows that having fans running a club can cause as many problems as it solves.
    Don't see the connection, to be honest.

It just didn't work out, and all the signs were that things weren't improving. I think most clubs would've taken the same action. Bucko was sacked and we were in a stronger position with more of the season to go, and he'd won the title the previous year. That's not an argument against private ownership of clubs any more than Kenny's sacking is against member run clubs.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Don't see the connection, to be honest.
    The point is that the board felt compelled IMO to do the popular thing, not necessarily the right thing. Not doing it could have cost them their positions which wouldn't happen at a club where supporters have less representation. Much of Bohs' history has been characterised by the same thing.

It just didn't work out, and all the signs were that things weren't improving. I think most clubs would've taken the same action.
    I think most would have left it to the end of the season to see how things worked out. It's not like they're in any danger of finishing any lower than fourth.

Bucko was sacked and we were in a stronger position with more of the season to go, and he'd won the title the previous year. That's not an argument against private ownership of clubs any more than Kenny's sacking is against member run clubs.
    Problem at that time was that the club wasn't in any effective sense run by a board - critical decisions were being made on one man's whims motivated largely by that man's own interests. That isn't typical of most privately owned clubs.

FWIW I think a realistic balance of private owner/supporter control works best, at least for LOI clubs where the supporter numbers are so small. Too much of either can lead to whichever is in power losing the run of themselves. Rovers are technically half-owned by a private individual but AFAIK he takes virtually no role in running the club.

Patrons
    Thanks
    dont agree that it was a kneejerk reaction.it sounds like they had shown no signs of improving. at some point they have to decide if getting rid of him costs less than loss in revenue from league position, attendences and europe.
    i would imagine that half that squad are over paid cunts who decided they werent going to play for him for whatever reason. In theory the team should have been culled and then Kenny given the chance to build a new team, but that never ever happens. Plus to be fair he did bring in a good few players himself, who were flops

Seems like some of their fans want rid of a good few players too
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    Registered on the homeless forum. Some of the stuff they come out with is gas. My pic of the day :

Shamrock Rover’s are the most important sporting institution on this island
    Cyril The Judas

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSaintsno.12 For This Useful Post:

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Any Twitter Buffs should follow @SRFCUltrasMeltdown it's the pick of the ridiculous bile spouted on that forum. It's actually hilarious how genuinely arrogant they are.

+ Reply to Thread