+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Under 8s serious shit

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts

Under 8s serious shit

http://www.ddsl.ie/

I am going through the results after this weekend and am totally dismayed that Adults permitted results to reach a score of 19-0 at some under 8 matches. Granted there were not many that reached this level but there are quite a few that reached 10 - 0, 11 -1, 12 - 0, 13 - 2 etc.

This is a development league - not one to see who can totally bring a team to rock bottom. Most of these teams are just starting off and were packed with little children who couldn't wait to put on their new boots and club gear for the first time. What reason would a manager of a team have to totally destroy a child's little buzz of his first match. Surely some sort of sense could have been brought to these matches and a decision to let the weaker team put on an extra player or two should have been made. The stronger team could have lost a player for a while, without the children really realising what was done. There are lots of things that should have been done, but certainly it was WRONG to let a game continue to reach the levels they did over the weekend. One thing for sure is that the Managers of the 'successful' teams on the day, may have had a great evening celebrating but I do hope they eventually realise that this is not what the under 8 divisions are about. Shame on you for possibly sending children away from their first match feeling low and sad and possibly not wanting to ever play again.

Nobody learned anything from a match with scores like this. We try to keep teams as local as possible until they can be graded at Christmas.

The other side of things is that Clubs are putting children who are too young into their squads. The under 8 divisions should be made up of children born in 2005. Children born in 2006 should be in club academies where they can learn skills, have fun and take part in academy v academy little tournaments.

As we go forward, please think about the children, they should be enjoying their matches, they should be having fun whilst learning how to play properly. Yes the first weekend can be tough but hopefully we can all learn something from this.
    Serious stuff.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdjac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    i feel sorry for the goalkeeper
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hano View Post
    i feel sorry for the goalkeeper
    It'll teach him to play better next time

Nothing surprises me in this country in schoolboy football. R

Rotten from the bottom up. And we wonder why we can't hold into the ball at senior level

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Slavia's schoolboy teams win games by 30 to 50 goals on a weekly basis over here.

Results from last week:

http://www.slavia.cz/media/archiv/ac...asu-102-branek

U14's won 14-0, U13's won 23-1 and U12's won 44-2 (even the U18's won 11-0)

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    44-2 Holy shit that's a crazy score.
    Never relegated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    I'm managing an Under 9s team over here and instead of leagues they do tournaments. There's 8 teams in the locality. Every team has to take turns hosting a tournament. It's usually 15 minute matches, two groups of 4. At the end they always do "4th place final" "3rd place final" etc and everyone gets the same medals in a big presentation at the end. In Bayern (not sure about all of Germany) they go up every two years. Under 7s, U9s, all the way to U19s then it goes to Senior Level. They only start doing leagues at U11s.

Last year I was doing the U7s team aswell and it was great because they'd be delighted going home afterwards with a medal and certificate, and it was irrelevant if they finished 1st or 8th
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    One thing that needs to be taken from football under 8-s to under 12's in penalties
    Managed pats under 8's before and one cup match went to peno's
    We went 1st and missed our first, child was devasted, way too much pressure on a kid **

**our keeper went on to save 3 and score the winner

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Don't care what you say about grassroots or football education pyramids and all, u8's-u10's should be just about having the craic with your mates. Once the kids move into the proper goals then start all of that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ó'Nualláin View Post
    Don't care what you say about grassroots or football education pyramids and all, u8's-u10's should be just about having the craic with your mates. Once the kids move into the proper goals then start all of that.
    Should be about learning to control a football and being able to pass a ball and move with a ball.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Should be about learning to control a football and being able to pass a ball and move with a ball.
    Ah yeah but that's very, very basic. Obviously set them off on the right track. But Christ if it's 44-2 there's something wrong. Even the likes of 10-0. If you're u15 and up and losing 10-0 maybe you can make the argument that they should be old enough to take it but not the small goal leagues.

Patrons
    Thanks
    I coach U10's and have had that the last few years (actually got beaten by St Pats U7's in our second game 10-2 and same fella scored about 8 of them)

anyway- there should be a balance between fun and kids learning the edge of competitiveness.

We've been lucky to be winning most of the time recently, but especially in the first 18 months of competitive football it was common for teams to allow the other to throw on extra players- now though as the teams have been graded and there is a little more competition the other teams managers regularly get offended if I offer them the chance to put on another player or two.

anyway- I believe there should only be blitz's and leagues at U8/9 level. and when I say that, it should be organised blitzs where teams are mixed. eg- every month 3 weeks league games, then a weekend of an organised "mixed" training blitz where all coaches come together and teh players are dispersed into a pool and there is no formal teams (teams for matches at the end is selected randomly)

the U8/9 ages should be nothing but encouragment and fun - even though still young ,my U10's would hate a condescending "clap clap well done" manner in which U8's are treated.

its hard also because of the disparity of skills/abilities/levels of maturity and understanding throughout each team.

Oh, and no child should be allowed play for a team outside their Parish/Postcode (unless no team is available) - this rediculous situation of the likes of Joeys and Kevins employing a full time scout to rape other clubs is rediculous and immoral.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Oh, and no child should be allowed play for a team outside their Parish/Postcode (unless no team is available) - this rediculous situation of the likes of Joeys and Kevins employing a full time scout to rape other clubs is rediculous and immoral.
    Are you serious??? What the fuck??? That's actually taking the piss. What is the point of that like??? Absolute mugs. Fucking hell talk about taking it too seriously.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Would largely agree with Caolan here. I'm not sure which was more shocking. The scores or the fact that this lady's comments stayed up on the DDSL's website in the first place.. When we see crowds of around 700 at LOI game and when we see our glorious boys in green in action just remember where it all begins. All our administrators are doing is recruiting kids for the GAA and rugby.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Are you serious??? What the fuck??? That's actually taking the piss. What is the point of that like??? Absolute mugs. Fucking hell talk about taking it too seriously.
    I know of a 6year old who started to play this year and is banging them in for his local club: Played a friendly recently against a major established south-side schoolboy club and scored a few against them: The club he played against are pestering this boys Father since to get the lad to sign for them. 6 years old unreal.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnylowry View Post
    I know of a 6year old who started to play this year and is banging them in for his local club: Played a friendly recently against a major established south-side schoolboy club and scored a few against them: The club he played against are pestering this boys Father since to get the lad to sign for them. 6 years old unreal.
    Haha that's nonsense. Some awful saps involved in Schoolboy football.

Thanks
    I don't have a problem with going after players as long as it's done within the rules and not at the expense if another kid. Some schoolboy clubs only run one team per age group so if a better kids signs the weaker ones get thrown out. For all of Kevins faults they have an unreal amount of teams so your kid is offered a spot on the b/c/d team if he's struggling. Nothing wrong with this at all

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    I don't have a problem with going after players as long as it's done within the rules and not at the expense if another kid. Some schoolboy clubs only run one team per age group so if a better kids signs the weaker ones get thrown out. For all of Kevins faults they have an unreal amount of teams so your kid is offered a spot on the b/c/d team if he's struggling. Nothing wrong with this at all
    bsolutely true- but still, no child should be ferried 5/10/20 miles from his local clubs to strengthen these self proclaimed "academies". Kids should play for their local clubs, with their friends and build a sense of pride and ownership of their local teams....some could argue that the prostitution of our schoolboy players carries into senior careers and is part of the reason why kids feel no relationship with lcoal LOIU clubs.

eg- all clubs in certain districts (especially in dublin) should come under the remit of the FAI and the nearest senior (LOI) club should have an obligation for training camps, elite sessions, and club interaction (i know alot of schoolboy committees would hate this for personal/local €€€ reasons)

I coach in Ballinteer and lost 2 talented kids this summer, one to Shamrock Rovers (there are at least a dozen clubs on the road from our pitch to theirs) and another to Lourdes (again, at least a dozen clubs on the drive from our pitch to theirs)

Now I appreciate the kids parents see greater opportunities with perceived "better" clubs - but the GAA dont allow this happen easily and its for the better. the sooner the FAI do something about it the better. why should players play for schoolboy teams where they have no affiliation with the locality, schools, people or club?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    I think the yanks have their youth sports system absolutely spot on. It's all done by district and each district has a team. If there's no team in the district then the kid is free to play for whoever he sees fit. Other than that you play for your district or you don't play. And then as they get older it links into the high school teams. Best way IMO.

Just an aside nothing to do with u8's but on the 13 home from Tolka on Monday there were a load of yanks on the way into town that thought Pat's were a local high school team we were all going to support Haha

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HofnerGaz For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    I think the yanks have their youth sports system absolutely spot on. It's all done by district and each district has a team. If there's no team in the district then the kid is free to play for whoever he sees fit. Other than that you play for your district or you don't play. And then as they get older it links into the high school teams. Best way IMO.
    Thats a bit off. There's no organised basketball except for school leagues for example. In 'football' there's only the Pop Warner leagues but they're not even in every state and have different rules. its only in High School it gets competitive and there's no links at all between the two
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    bsolutely true- but still, no child should be ferried 5/10/20 miles from his local clubs to strengthen these self proclaimed "academies". Kids should play for their local clubs, with their friends and build a sense of pride and ownership of their local teams....some could argue that the prostitution of our schoolboy players carries into senior careers and is part of the reason why kids feel no relationship with lcoal LOIU clubs.

eg- all clubs in certain districts (especially in dublin) should come under the remit of the FAI and the nearest senior (LOI) club should have an obligation for training camps, elite sessions, and club interaction (i know alot of schoolboy committees would hate this for personal/local €€€ reasons)

I coach in Ballinteer and lost 2 talented kids this summer, one to Shamrock Rovers (there are at least a dozen clubs on the road from our pitch to theirs) and another to Lourdes (again, at least a dozen clubs on the drive from our pitch to theirs)

Now I appreciate the kids parents see greater opportunities with perceived "better" clubs - but the GAA dont allow this happen easily and its for the better. the sooner the FAI do something about it the better. why should players play for schoolboy teams where they have no affiliation with the locality, schools, people or club?
    yeah I know where your coming from but every kid is entitled to the best standard of coaching they can get. If a parent feels that's half an hour away, fair enough. People are entitled to choose where their kid plays if the kids is happy.

The gaa thing is more a social thing than a rule. Kids can play for whoever they want and move from club to club if they want. Look at the Eamonn Fennell situation in gaa., that
    was disgraceful. There is no way anything like that should be allowed in soccer.
    As regards loi, clubs only have themselves to blame for the poor schoolboy set ups.

Thanks

When did you start writing for the daily mail?
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Thanks
    The baby played a certain team of foreign descent in the SDFL today under 8s, the left ankle is from a stamp, the right knee from 2 kicks. The left knee from a kick while he was on the ground. The shins from various kicks.

He had to come at 2-2 and they lost 4-2, job done by the other team. Serious stuff this under 8 lark

Thanks
    When a game goes beyond doubt at these age groups , the result should be confirmed and agreed at 3-5 nil, the teams mixed up to make a game of it, likewise it will help development and give confidence to the not so "brilliant" who are in fact the players who will eventually overtake their counterparts in time.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    The baby played a certain team of foreign descent in the SDFL today under 8s, the left ankle is from a stamp, the right knee from 2 kicks. The left knee from a kick while he was on the ground. The shins from various kicks.

He had to come at 2-2 and they lost 4-2, job done by the other team. Serious stuff this under 8 lark
    U8 is the best age- total unbridled encouragement and no real competitive edge (at least there shouldnt be)

there will always be lobsided results whilst teams are graded, thats the the DDSL were getting at with their memo.

Loved when my team were U8- it was all high fives and big claps/well dones regardless. even now at U10 its getting tetchy and competitive (from coaches, players and parents)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts

Loved when my team were U8- it was all high fives and big claps/well dones regardless.
    That's the same with the U9s team I'm managing now. Result is irrelevant really as long as they have fun
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    Just on the original DDSL post- was speaking to a parent of one of the kids involved in the 19-0 result (it was Mount Merrion V someone). His kid played with our U10 sat team until xmas last year (2 years above his age group) he went down to U9's scored a shitload, then this year to U8's and moved to Merrion.

He scored a hat trick in the first 2 minutes and was then taken off, he was put on for the last 5 mins and scored another hat trick. At one stage Merrion had 6 players and teh other team had 9/10 players. Its one pf the problems with the grading system that you get these anomalies.

As much as its unfair on kids to get beaten 19-0, its also unfair on the kid who gets 7/8 minutes of a game because he is too good. something similar happened this weekend

Thanks
    Can you get me his number

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Can you get me his number

There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

+ Reply to Thread