+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Restructuring of the League of Ireland.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts
    Any more details on this ?
    Can they enter cups ? Can players play for both teams in one season/weekend ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Any more details on this ?
    Can they enter cups ? Can players play for both teams in one season/weekend ?
    No details but I'd imagine the wouldn't enter cups, and wouldn't be allowed move from team to team. Maybe only during the transfer windows
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 546 Posts
    What happens if one of the B teams wins the shaggin thing? Promotion for second place?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvp31 View Post
    What happens if one of the B teams wins the shaggin thing? Promotion for second place?
    Thats what happened in the A division and what happens in Spain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    First division next year will be;
    Waterford
    Harps
    Athlone
    Longford
    Wexford
    Mervue
    Salthill
    Rovers B
    Cork B
    Sligo B

This confirmed?
    Ridiculous if true

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 551 Posts
    As a matter of interest, can any premier division team draw one of the B teams in the cup? eg. rovers vs rovers B, or even pats v cork B?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not confirmed anywhere, no...

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    B teams can't play in the Cup.

No inherent harm in them playing senior football. Main argument against seems to be from people who want the domestic game to mirror the English league.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Ridiculous Idea... Nobody is going to go watch the B teams

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Kind of inhibits league growth by nature though no?

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Crowds are piss poor for First Division games at the best of times, so that's not an issue.

The main benefit of B teams playing senior football is to the young players who experience competing at a reasonable level on a weekly basis. The teams who can afford to field a B team and send them up and down the country every second week wil obviously benefit most to begin with, but inevitably some of those players won't make the grade at Cork, Sligo, Rovers...but ultimately those players will go on to improve the league as a whole elsewhere, all the better for having played First Division football.

What standard of player is Ryan Coombes used to playing against?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    thought this was a wind up? :O
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Rovers, Sligo and Cork B teams will get more to their games than some of the other clubs in that division. I would definitely go watch a Pats B team in the first division if it didn't coincide with a senior squad match.

If Pats want B team want to be in the first division I'm all for B teams in that division, if they don't I don't.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not sure about the crowds. Will you get many fans paying €15 to (say) Shels v Rovers on Friday night and then €10 to see Rovers v mervue B on saturday?

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Crowd size is secondary to the long-term development of the league, for me.

Barça B play Numancia in the Miniestadi this weekend. It's less than €15 for non-members, free for members and under-12s, and next to nothing if you're a non-member attending with a friend who's a member. The quality of football on dispaly will be great but the crowd will be shit. There's no debate over the benefits of the B players competing in senior football, though.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Games will always be played the same night bar a few for the usual reasons... Senior side will be at home while the B will be playing away to avoid ground clashingl who's gonna go watch the B team play if the senior side is playing that night home or away!

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Crowd size is secondary to the long-term development of the league, for me.
    Seriously???? How would a B side of second string players be better than an A side of players. Would always be an inferior complex promoted by this situation. Comparing Barcelona fanatics to casual supporters in Athlone is hardly fair either.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyRotten View Post
    Seriously???? How would a B side of second string players be better than an A side of players. Would always be an inferior complex promoted by this situation. Comparing Barcelona fanatics to casual supporters in Athlone is hardly fair either.
    Don't get your first point. I never said anything about a Sligo B side, for instance, being better than Waterford or Athlone.

And I think you've missed my point about Barca B. The participation of B sides in senior competitive football is seen as positive by all clubs, not just the big two. The smaller clubs are littered with players who cut their teeth playing competitve football with Barca or Madrid's B sides. The argument is that those players wouldn't have developed at the same rate or to the same extent if they had not been exposed to senior competitve football.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    I meant for spectators in my initial point. I really don't understand how you believe less teams and lower attendances are good for football in a country. Using your model of Spain, only two teams have won the league in the last eight years.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Using your model of Spain, only two teams have won the league in the last eight years.
    There are other (very obvious) reasons only two teams have won La Liga in the last 8 years. Also, in that same period 6 Spanish sides have figured in the Europa League final. What's your point?

I really don't understand how you believe less teams and lower attendances are good for football in a country.
    I never said I believe this. What I did say was that young players playing senior competitive football will be good for football in this country.

As for attendances, no-one has claimed B teams will attract more fans, but as I said, attendances at First Division games are at rock bottom so it's really immaterial.

And less teams? One of the biggest problems the professional game has in this country is the number of clubs, which is totally out of proportion to the size of the country. That's an established fact at this stage.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    There are other (very obvious) reasons only two teams have won La Liga in the last 8 years. Also, in that same period 6 Spanish sides have figured in the Europa League final. What's your point?

I never said I believe this. What I did say was that young players playing senior competitive football will be good for football in this country.

As for attendances, no-one has claimed B teams will attract more fans, but as I said, attendances at First Division games are at rock bottom so it's really immaterial.

And less teams? One of the biggest problems the professional game has in this country is the number of clubs, which is totally out of proportion to the size of the country. That's an established fact at this stage.
    I'm not getting into one of these mickey measuring quote contests with you. Read the post again if you don't get the point. We're talking domestic not European so why bring that up? Why exactly is the fact that attendances may get worse immaterial? No, the established fact is too many teams from one region is a problem, one which would only be exacerbated by B teams IMO.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Cobh are back. No reserve teams in an 8 team first division

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Great to see Cobh back. Quality away trip. Remember in 2008 we got there a good 3 hours before the game, drinkin cans outside the ground, playin football and then the Pats team bus pulled up. Won 1-0 with a Derek O'Brien debut goal.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

25. The Following User Says Thank You to St. Robbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    8 team first division still seems quite small, but I guess if the teams aren't there, they aren't there
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That has been our only trip there since a cup game in 1998 and the last league game before 2008 was 1994/95 season

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    That has been our only trip there since a cup game in 1998 and the last league game before 2008 was 1994/95 season
    Remember that Cup one.. IIRC Gilzean scored for us in a narrow win. Place was packed, we were on the terrace behind the dugouts.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Administrator
    Thanks
    We won 3-1 in the cup. From memory, Leon scored at least one.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Remember Felix Healy at that game, getting plenty of stick over his support for the Dublin Dons, good crowd there that night.

+ Reply to Thread