+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goal Line Tech? Seems not for everyone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppo254 View Post
    Peoples argument is that you would have to artificially stop play to make the decision. But if a beep or something went in the ref's ear straight sway then there isnt a problem
    Yeah I suppose hockey the game clock stops regardless.But its not that long and realistically your not going to have loads of dubious goals stopping the match.How many dubious goals where there last season in England for example?

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry potter View Post
    Yeah I suppose hockey the game clock stops regardless.But its not that long and realistically your not going to have loads of dubious goals stopping the match.How many dubious goals where there last season in England for example?
    Under 5 at a guess , whats to be mindful of is that while i believe this would help the game it cant become an excuse to shoe horn in other tech that may disrupt the game.

Stopping play for say penalty decisions , handballs or bad tackles imo would have and adverse affect
    Never relegated

Thanks
    Under 5 at a guess , whats to be mindful of is that while i believe this would help the game it cant become an excuse to shoe horn in other tech that may disrupt the game.

Stopping play for say penalty decisions , handballs or bad tackles imo would have and adverse affect
    Agree 100%.Should just for goals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    i'm totally against technology full stop.

they should put laces back in the balls too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    i'm totally against technology full stop.

they should put laces back in the balls too.
    lol bring back the half time cup of tea and slice of orange
    Never relegated

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 546 Posts
    lol bring back the half time cup of tea and slice of orange
    And not forgetting polo necks for goalies and the pre-match Woodbine

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Not for me IMO. People complain about every little thing in football, and i mean every little thing. Ok yes a goal is crucial, but is going through on goal and ur about to put the ball into the net and ur fouled not important. U can't have technology for one thing and the referee for the other. Its going to take power away from the referee and were will it stop, it will end up being someone sitting in a stand making decisions from a screen, pointless that is. About the plan they are looking at, when the ball crosses the line the referees watch will vibrate letting him no, so there wont be a stoppage in the game. It will cost a fortune to implement and teams in the LOI don't have that type of money to spend. It either goes all across the board or nowhere IMO.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    Not for me IMO. People complain about every little thing in football, and i mean every little thing. Ok yes a goal is crucial, but is going through on goal and ur about to put the ball into the net and ur fouled not important. U can't have technology for one thing and the referee for the other. Its going to take power away from the referee and were will it stop, it will end up being someone sitting in a stand making decisions from a screen, pointless that is. About the plan they are looking at, when the ball crosses the line the referees watch will vibrate letting him no, so there wont be a stoppage in the game. It will cost a fortune to implement and teams in the LOI don't have that type of money to spend. It either goes all across the board or nowhere IMO.

How will they do that though??? Like where is the censor in the ball??? You can't have it in the middle because the whole ball has to cross the line.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ó'Nualláin View Post
    How will they do that though??? Like where is the censor in the ball??? You can't have it in the middle because the whole ball has to cross the line.
    Id imagine its multi point censors on the ball
    Never relegated

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Id imagine its multi point censors on the ball
    I suppose that does make sense but how would it know like I just don't understand it. Sounds like a lot could go wrong with that, like if one censor breaks or something or there's a player on the line. Plus surely it would affect the ball if it was heavier in parts due to the censors.

I think video replays would be a better alternative. There was a point for Dublin wrongly ruled out in Croker today and they gave it after the replay was shown on the big screen although it wasn't official. Took less than 30 seconds even with all the complaining from both sides.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    The problem happens when say the ball bounces down across the line and out again , the team defending then break away on the counter attack. When do you stop the play to check the video ? If the ball hasn't crossed the line you have just penalized the team on the counter attack.

It has to be almost instantaneous or not at all tbh
    Never relegated

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    The problem happens when say the ball bounces down across the line and out again , the team defending then break away on the counter attack. When do you stop the play to check the video ? If the ball hasn't crossed the line you have just penalized the team on the counter attack.

It has to be almost instantaneous or not at all tbh
    As has been stated though this doesn't happen 5 times a game every game. You usually only see one if any at a major tournament. If the ball bounces across the line and out a team has been denied a goal where as if a team is on the counter there is still loads that has to be done. That's much more of a penalization. They could give each team a limited number of challenges like in tennis.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    As has been stated though this doesn't happen 5 times a game every game. You usually only see one if any at a major tournament. If the ball bounces across the line and out a team has been denied a goal where as if a team is on the counter there is still loads that has to be done. That's much more of a penalization. They could give each team a limited number of challenges like in tennis.

Then you get into ok well lets give three chances and people will call for things like off-sides, handballs etc to be part of it.

Ball crosses line = beep in ref's ear. Job done. The simplest solutions are often the best
    Never relegated

Thanks
    Then you get into ok well lets give three chances and people will call for things like off-sides, handballs etc to be part of it.

Ball crosses line = beep in ref's ear. Job done. The simplest solutions are often the best
    The reason I dont think this form would work is because what if the ref doesnt hear it? Imagine and atmosphere like the Camp Nou or San Siro and the beep is missed

Patrons
    Thanks
    imaging giving 3 calls if a break looks dangerous id appeal something. as has been said instant or nothing
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    imaging giving 3 calls if a break looks dangerous id appeal something. as has been said instant or nothing
    Then don't give three calls. One for each manager per game. Everyone has said that it doesn't happen often enough to necessitate any more. Too much can go wrong with that beep in the ref's ear.
    Ball potentially goes across the line, manager challenges, John was that a goal???, ten seconds later you have your decision and the game can continue.

Thanks
    or how about.........

leave it the way it fuckin is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Then don't give three calls. One for each manager per game. Everyone has said that it doesn't happen often enough to necessitate any more. Too much can go wrong with that beep in the ref's ear.
    Ball potentially goes across the line, manager challenges, John was that a goal???, ten seconds later you have your decision and the game can continue.
    You can break away and score a goal in 10 seconds and your stopping the flow of the game which is one of footballs positives over other sports
    Never relegated

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    or how about.........

leave it the way it fuckin is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because clearly it doesn't work. Try telling the Ukraine fans and FA that it works after the goal against England wasn't given.

If it was the difference between Ireland getting to a championships or world cup or not then we would all be calling for it more
    Never relegated

Thanks
    Thierry henry????

Under no circumstance would I call for technology. There are loads if things wrong with football but I don't any of them changed by using technology.

Would pats be able to afford these fancy sensors and microchips. I'd imagine not, and no way is a world cup game more important than a pats league decider or cup semi.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Thierry henry????

Under no circumstance would I call for technology. There are loads if things wrong with football but I don't any of them changed by using technology.

Would pats be able to afford these fancy sensors and microchips. I'd imagine not, and no way is a world cup game more important than a pats league decider or cup semi.
    How is Thierry Henry's hand ball got anything to do with if the ball crossed the line or not ?

Your also ruling out pats having it before you even know how much it costs
    Never relegated

Thanks
    How is Thierry Henry's hand ball got anything to do with if the ball crossed the line or not ?

Your also ruling out pats having it before you even know how much it costs
    You're argument was if Ireland were denied a place in a major tournament we would all be calling for it but we weren't calling for video refs after Henry.

If a call goes against you in a match,.give the ref dogs abuse and get on with it. That's the Football way.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    You're argument was if Ireland were denied a place in a major tournament we would all be calling for it but we weren't calling for video refs after Henry.

If a call goes against you in a match,.give the ref dogs abuse and get on with it. That's the Football way.
    My argument was if Ireland where denied a place due to the ball going over the line or not. In fact you will see from my previous posts i don't see video replays working in football.

The football way is to acknowledge that mistakes are happening , give out about them but do nothing to prevent them happening ?

Can't seem to find that paragraph in the FIFA rules......
    Never relegated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    My argument was if Ireland where denied a place due to the ball going over the line or not.
    No decision should really be made on the basis of "if that was me I'd be fuming"
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No decision should really be made on the basis of "if that was me I'd be fuming"
    Im not making a decision based on if it was me id be fuming. I'm basing it on a belief that it would improve the game BUT my point about if it where Ireland refers to the fact that we haven't had it fall against us yet.

If or When it does then there will be more people looking for it to be brought it.
    Never relegated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    If or When it does then there will be more people looking for it to be brought it.
    yeah, eejits who are only interested in ireland.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Those officials behind the goal with the magic wands were put in almost as a direct result of the Thierry Henry incident. They've been an improvement. It's been shown that the number of correct offside decisions has risen because the linesmen only need to watch them now and not what's going on in the box. The 5th officials are instructed to watch for fouling in the box.

All it takes is one TV official to watch the line and only the line. You could even have three screens. One showing the match and one showing each goal line. He watches the middle screen showing the match until the action goes down towards either goal and then he watches the screen for that goal. If an incident should happen he can have the power to pause slow down and play the incident and let the ref know.

A lot of the time you wouldn't even need to unless it's a Roberto Carlos shot at 4 million miles an hour. He let's the ref know via headset that the ball has crossed the line and gives the decision. A lot of times you wouldn't even need to stop the play.

Thanks
    Those officials behind the goal with the magic wands were put in almost as a direct result of the Thierry Henry incident. They've been an improvement. It's been shown that the number of correct offside decisions has risen because the linesmen only need to watch them now and not what's going on in the box. The 5th officials are instructed to watch for fouling in the box.
    Genuinely never saw these lads make a decision. I've seen them bottle a fair few, including that one in the Ukraine match during the Euros when the ball went over the line.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    Genuinely never saw these lads make a decision. I've seen them bottle a fair few, including that one in the Ukraine match during the Euros when the ball went over the line.
    I saw one give a penalty once. But that's it. They can't watch the line and the box at the same time though which is what I'm saying.

Thanks
    They may aswell have one official to watch the line, one to watch the box and one to watch for offsides so. F*ck that.

+ Reply to Thread