+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Monaghan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    With our recent history and the burden we are carrying does anyone really have sympathy for a club who overspend to extinction?

Cant see how people can feel sorry for mons but be delighted when it happened shels or bohs. Fans as always will be the ones to suffer most.
    Mons have Mon dogs......seriously im fucking gutted here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,876 Times in 2,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Liscensing crieria is laid out in black and white, though. There's no leeway to be exercised one way or the other. If they meet the criteria, they'll get a license; if they don't, they won't
    So why does a committee of three people meet to discuss each application? The financial 'projections' alone show its not a black and white issue.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So why does a committee of three people meet to discuss each application? The financial 'projections' alone show its not a black and white issue.
    Its up to the clubs to be honest in their applications. Not up to the fai to catch them out lying. Clubs have a duty of care to their staff and fans. Too many people laying blame at the wrong door steps here.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    The criteria are black and white. How else can decide if a club meets them other than by committee? There's no discretion.

In Mons case, this is probably all immaterial because they might not be in a position to provide a team next year anyway.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Its up to the clubs to be honest in their applications. Not up to the fai to catch them out lying. Clubs have a duty of care to their staff and fans. Too many people laying blame at the wrong door steps here.
    I'm not arguing with that.

But why put in financial measures at all, if you're not going to question/check them? Nobody is saying that Monaghan aren't at fault. But the whole system is a balls up by the FAI.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    The criteria are black and white. How else can decide if a club meets them other than by committee? There's no discretion.

In Mons case, this is probably all immaterial because they might not be in a position to provide a team next year anyway.
    They weren't in a position this year, yet still got the license. Thats the point

New Signing
    Thanks
    AlanMc: We were honest in all our dealings with the FAI. We had a very reasonable budget done out and it was agreed it was attainable. Lack of sponsor and the rising costs of staying in the league made things difficult. We tried to sort that out, made an appeal. People didnt care enough and it took weeks to come to this decision but we felt it was better to go now instead of running up more costs, not paying debtors and making things much worse.

As for players finding out on twitter. The club had gone to the Manager and team reps before the press release was sent out and asked that they inform the players as it was felt it would be better for them to hear from them. Then rumours started surfacing and the press release had to go out to put questions to bed. In this world of multimedia, news is broadcast within seconds and if one or 2 of the players hadn't been told at that stage it is highly regrettable but was outside of our control.

This is the toughest day of my life. I have spent the last few weeks watching one of the most important parts of my life fall apart and now its gone.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Magicme For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 785 Posts
    It's like when you pay for something using a laser card or a credit card knowing you have no money on the card. When the transaction has gone through you are delighted and feel like you have cheated the system and got away with it until a few days later when the bill comes in and you realise you have no money. Clubs need to sort themselves out and stop blaming others.

This is why I feel it is not out of order for the Patrons to ask about our wage bill and other financial parts of the club. Clubs should be transparent when it comes to certain things.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Mbabazi
    Thanks
    Will Sligo now take Monaghan's place in the 3rd round of the cup?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    AlanMc: We were honest in all our dealings with the FAI. We had a very reasonable budget done out and it was agreed it was attainable. Lack of sponsor and the rising costs of staying in the league made things difficult. We tried to sort that out, made an appeal. People didnt care enough and it took weeks to come to this decision but we felt it was better to go now instead of running up more costs, not paying debtors and making things much worse.

As for players finding out on twitter. The club had gone to the Manager and team reps before the press release was sent out and asked that they inform the players as it was felt it would be better for them to hear from them. Then rumours started surfacing and the press release had to go out to put questions to bed. In this world of multimedia, news is broadcast within seconds and if one or 2 of the players hadn't been told at that stage it is highly regrettable but was outside of our control.

This is the toughest day of my life. I have spent the last few weeks watching one of the most important parts of my life fall apart and now its gone.
    As I said in my previous post its always the fans who suffer and I know what the club means to you. I do think as employers the club should have told the staff. Im led to believe one of the ones you would have expected to tell the players is actually abroad on holidays? Would a player meeting face to face not have been better to tell them their source of income had gone? Also did the club ask the fai to intervene at any stage to explore ways out?

Having said all that football is important magicme but im sure with folk like yourself involved the club will rise again.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    This is why I feel it is not out of order for the Patrons to ask about our wage bill and other financial parts of the club
    2 things should be known. 1) Total budget for the year 2) playing budget for the year. No one's wages should be known (and I know you weren't asking for this, I'm just clarifying)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 539 Posts
    Results expunged and 1 club will get a bye in cup , confirmed in latest fai statement

Thanks
    Am I right in thinking Sligo are now a point further ahead of us now?
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 785 Posts
    They are but we have a game in hand. Win on Friday and we are 4 points behind them
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    They are but we have a game in hand. Win on Friday and we are 4 points behind them
    Ah I see now. We were level on games but a point closer before Mons went bye bye... Sweet
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    AlanMc: We were honest in all our dealings with the FAI. We had a very reasonable budget done out and it was agreed it was attainable. Lack of sponsor and the rising costs of staying in the league made things difficult.
    AlanMc: We were honest in all our dealings with the FAI. We had a very reasonable budget done out and it was agreed it was attainable. Lack of sponsor and the rising costs of staying in the league made things difficult.
    Sorry to hear about Monaghan Magicme I can imagine it must be awful feeling so you have my sympathies. I hope you manage to put something in place to keep the club going and it can recover in the long term. I'm not disputing that Monaghan weren't in anyway honest and I suppose that from Monaghans point of view it could be argued that paying off creditors in full now instead partially paying them at the end of the season is the lesser of two evils. From the rest of the league point of view, I feel that a team withdrawing midway through the season makes the league look like a farce and make it harder for the rest of the league to get sponsors. It also begs the question of whether the budget the FAI agreed with Monaghan for the year was overly optimistic. It would certainly seem so now. My point is that FAI licensing will need to be a lot tougher going forward. We have to try and avoid having teams withdrawing half way through the season. It make the league look like a joke.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to see For This Useful Post:

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    A reasonable budget but for the fact you didn't have enough money coming in (sponsor) and too much going out(costs).

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 541 Posts
    Delaney's on the case:

Thanks
    Right up there with MLK's "I have a fucking dream"

Inspiring

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yorkiesaint For This Useful Post:

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvp31 View Post
    Delaney's on the case:

Jesus h Christ on a fucking bike. I actually thought I couldn't dislike him anymore.

Patrons
    Thanks
    I feel terrible for the Monaghan supporters. They must have been feeling the way we felt last year before the Karpaty game and we only had to go through that for a few hours.

A few things annoy me about this carry on though. This has been happening year on year and nothing is being done by the FAI what so ever. I know that clubs themselves are on their own in some regards but whats the point in the FAI taking responsibility for the league if they arn't willing to step in when shit hits the fan. I thought with the new league structure the FAI would bring in club structures but I was too optimistic.

IMO, before the start of next season every club in the top two divisions should have to produce 5 year development plans, which show how a club plans to promote itself within reason, set out guidelines for their yearly budget and most of all ensure they have a club in 5 years time. This should be done every 5 years with a new plan being made up on the 4th year. Obviously some of Delaney's €430,000 a year should go to helping clubs with this sort of thing. Plenty of business and marketing people out there looking for that kind of experience and work.

It just seems to me that the FAI are only willing to take note of the league when it suits them (Dublin Cup, Rovers in Europe ect...) but ignore the fact that our league could benifit them too if it was promoted and developed. Every quick fix solution they have tried fell out on its arse. They need to look towards getting players into clubs and stopping them from going to england before they hit their early-mid twentys at least. The amount of players that go off at 16 and come back with no education because they couldn't cut it in England is unreal. (anyone remember joxer kelly for bohs). Encouraging players to stay in the LOI for a few more years would develop the standard of football, possibly create transfer funds from accross the water and give players experience playing with real pressures from fans. (playing in a Bohs-Rovers game will give you more experience that sitting around in celtics reserves) and give us more talent for our national side.

If the FAI don't do something soon, i'd love to see the LOI clubs form a new league separate from them, possibly involving northern teams.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary4279 For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary4279 View Post
    If the FAI don't do something soon, i'd love to see the LOI clubs form a new league separate from them
    The LOI clubs used to run the league, and it was in even worse shape.

Patrons
    Thanks
    The league and football in the country is rotten to the core. But here is just a brief indication of the mentalness of the whole situation.

The cost of entry into the league of Ireland is 19k.

The breakdown of prize money is as follows:

1.€100,000
    2.€45,000
    3.€25,000
    4.€15,000
    5.€10,000
    6.€7,500
    7.€6,000
    8.€5,000
    9.€5,000
    10.€5,000
    11.€5,000
    12.€5,000

So unless you finish top 3, you have already lost a minimum of 4k upon entry.

The 19k does not include matchday official costs. These are roughly 1200 per game, or roughly 120 tickets sold. Drogheda were due 17 home games this season before mons went. Thats a further 20,400 euro to be paid out. Therefore any club has outgoings of just under 40k in money paid out to the Fai before a ball is even kicked. The only real money you can budget to come in from the Fai is 5k.

Tv money has been taken away from clubs. Rte still fork out the money, but it goes directly to the Fai. The fai claim this trickles down into prize money.

In effect, very little prize money is offered from the Fai. There is something like a 5k difference in what is accumalated by the 19k entrance fees and total prize money. (The data is from last season when there was 10 teams, iv assumed that the extra two teams each get 5k as well, but the likelyhood is slim, meaning prize money would be less than what the clubs put in.)

In previous seasons, Cup finalists have had to pay a fee upon reaching the final to cover the costs of their own medals.

The fai make money from sponsors and television for the League. There are deals in place with EA, Ford, Newstalk, Lucozade, Eircom, Airtricity etc. etc. Where does this go?? Does money come from the Fai to the clubs in any other way? Or does it all go into the big debt? Bit ironic that the sponsors are claiming to be sponsors of the league then.

John Delaney currently earns 400k a year. Whilst employees of the Fai have been let go, his wages have increased under his own order. This is corruption and cronyism of the highest. Any one who seen the picture of the man in this weeks papers will know exactly what a tool he is.

The fai have also been known to be very quick to take money off clubs in the form of fines. My latest favourite is for shels fans signing "Rte is fcuking shite!". Shelbourne have pleaded lately with their fans to stop mentioning delaney in songs as they cannot afford the repeated fines every time his name is mentioned. Delaney was stripped of his footwear and basically made a twat of by irish fans in Poland this week. Fine? Nah Money behind the bar for the lads having the craic!!

The past two weeks have been very bleak for Irish football. Were the club rumored to have a meeting tomorrow also go to the wall, then it could be said without a doubt, that what should have been two of the greatest weeks in Irish footballing history will go down as its darkest two. Delaney needs to walk on the back of the past two weeks. A complete revamp of the league is needed. The figures above make no sense and show exactly what monaghan were facing when they had tiny crowds and zero sponsorship. There but for the grace of god (well hunky doreys and the supporters) go us, and who knows this time next year it could be us. After looking into those figures a bit more, I have 100 times more respect for any body running a football club in this country.

I also have 100 times more respect for any one who continues to support the league. The general public of Monaghan should hang their heads in shame. They are a disgrace. Any other newly promoted club usually sees a boost in crowds. Mick cooke brought them to two cup semis and inches from the premier league. Roddy got them to the premier and yet they still couldnt even jump on a bandwagon.

Lestor and any other mons fan on here, I can only express my symphaties. I dont know what id end up doing where Drogheda to face the same fate. Hopefully you can keep the club going in some form and come back some day into hopefully a better ran league. I also hope you look down your nose at every monaghan person with a premier league jersey on.
    A brilliant post from The Drogheda forum imo!!

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to augustiner For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    The LOI clubs used to run the league, and it was in even worse shape.
    Yeah but it was run very badly, most of the clubs took advantage of it. But if the clubs could do it properly, elect a president ect.... at least the league could be run for the benefit of the league.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Also, seen on FB that Dundalk are on their last legs now, not that it hasn't been coming. Supposedly they have been given an ultimatum to pay up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary4279 View Post
    Yeah but it was run very badly, most of the clubs took advantage of it. But if the clubs could do it properly, elect a president ect.... at least the league could be run for the benefit of the league.
    What could possibly make you think the people in charge of clusb (like the ones in trouble) can run a league too?

Thanks
    The FAI licensing now needs to be modified
    Lets get rid of FAI and modified thats a step in the right direction for sure .....The licensing now needs to be !

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 651 Posts
    I think the FAI is the lesser of two evils. The FAI are useless and incompetent, but add chancers into the mix and you probably have the set up we get if the league runs itself.
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    As bad as the league was before the FAI (Can't recall myself, I'm only a nipper). In the 6 years since they took over 7 clubs have gone under. That's not exactly a great track record.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 651 Posts
    just remembered, on Newstalk when Mons went belly up, they said the FAI has said they offered Monaghan a grant of €150k (maybe this figure is wrong but it was substantial) a few months ago, and they refused it. Seems strange, especially as it was a grant and not a loan.
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread