+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Monaghan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,724 Posts
    Monaghan lads on twitter say this is bollocks as they had a canteen there (which we know they do)

journal are awful hournos
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Ian Gilzean
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry potter View Post

In my opinion the FAI shouldnt have granted Mons a licence,as a I said above.They took over the league and in 6 years 7 clubs have gone.

I was wondering what that banner was for at the start of the match last night.

Let's be honest about Monaghan. Their attendances were an absolute joke. Their last home match attracted 350. Their home game against Bray reportedly brought in 151 (!) paying customers. How the f**k can a club in a Premier League in *any* country survive on that?

Similarly with Dublin City and Sporting Fingal. Both had miniscule support and played out of rented grounds. In the case of Dublin City they travelled around Dublin playing in rented grounds during their existence followed by a handful of supporters. In the immortal words of Roy Dooney who was in charge of the League of Ireland during their existence, they were like a 'playstation club'.

I feel sorry for Monaghan supporters but how the f**k can you blame the FAI for the demise of them, Dublin City and Fingal? In fact, many people would say that they are all solely responsible for their own fates.

But, as usual, blame the FAI if it makes you feel better....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic View Post

I feel sorry for Monaghan supporters but how the f**k can you blame the FAI for the demise of them, Dublin City and Fingal? In fact, many people would say that they are all solely responsible for their own fates.

Its not about the clubs. its about having a governing body that allows shite hawk clubs like Dc and Fingal in in the first place, and allows Monaghan biudget for mmoney they're never going to get.

If the league was run properly, these 'deaths' wouldn't have happened as clubs wouldn't be allowed budget for money they can't possibly pay.

The league took a big knock this week. Yes, Monaghan are to blame for their downfall, but its the clubs that remain and the league in general that have to deal with it.

The way to deal with is to bring in structures that make it impossible for these situations to arise. Thats why the FAI are fault for this type of thing. There's been enough problems at clubs in recent past. Why are they still allowing it to happen?

Thanks

If you read my other posts you would see why I and others,especially the other Ultra groups who protested blame the FAI.The Monaghan situation was allowed to happen because the FAI granted them a licence,despite their income proposals based on expectations not facts.They projected increased revenue through sponsors and increased attendances,and if the FAI had looked into the situation and recent hstory of Mons they would have seen these revenue streams where unrealistic. Instead they granted them a licence and we have this situation.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    It's hard to blame a club for being overly optimistic. I feel sorry for Mons. Less so for Shels, Rovers and Bohs as they were totally taking the piss in terms of what they could afford.

I don't blame the FAI. It's hard to look at the "Fields of Athenry" brigade. When all is said and done, they will return to supporting their English clubs and leave the grass roots EL clubs to struggle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonabateSaint View Post
    It's hard to blame a club for being overly optimistic. I feel sorry for Mons. Less so for Shels, Rovers and Bohs as they were totally taking the piss in terms of what they could afford.

I don't blame the FAI. It's hard to look at the "Fields of Athenry" brigade. When all is said and done, they will return to supporting their English clubs and leave the grass roots EL clubs to struggle.
    Its Monagahans fault aswel though.Looking through recent history,there is enough proof that making a budget based on expectations is a recipe to fail! And its the FAIs fault for giving this budget a green light.

Dave Henderson
    Thanks
    If you read my other posts you would see why I and others,especially the other Ultra groups who protested blame the FAI.The Monaghan situation was allowed to happen because the FAI granted them a licence,despite their income proposals based on expectations not facts.They projected increased revenue through sponsors and increased attendances,and if the FAI had looked into the situation and recent hstory of Mons they would have seen these revenue streams where unrealistic. Instead they granted them a licence and we have this situation.
    You could blame the FAI, but would they have granted Monaghan a licence if they had of been realistic with their application? Monaghan's application misled the FAI. The FAI have to assume that the applications are true. Monaghan chanced their arm and were caught out. It's their fault and not the FAI's

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richsaint View Post
    You could blame the FAI, but would they have granted Monaghan a licence if they had of been realistic with their application? Monaghan's application misled the FAI. The FAI have to assume that the applications are true. Monaghan chanced their arm and were caught out. It's their fault and not the FAI's
    Imo yeah,they would have. Bohs,Drogs,Mons,Dublin City all spent beyond their means with money that wasnt there and or had unrealistic incomes. The FAI shouldnt assume anything,they should look into the facts that there was no basis for what Monaghan proposed coupled with the fact LOI clubs and the folks running them have a track record with being lying bastards.If they had looked into the issue properly before the season,then maybe this would have been avoided!

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Its Monagahans fault aswel though.Looking through recent history,there is enough proof that making a budget based on expectations is a recipe to fail! And its the FAIs fault for giving this budget a green light.
    True, I wouldn't exonerate them completely.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    I think the reason people are sympathizing with Monaghan so much is first and foremost we'd all be in disarray if Pat's went under, but because Monaghan went bust not out of greed, corruption or illegal means, but rather naivety and being overly optimistic.

I think Roddy is exaggerating a bit there in his interview but the core of what he was saying is true, they weren't paying ridiculous money to sign players, they did have the lowest wage bill in the league... but the interest just wasn't there from the people in and around the town. 150 at a premier league home game is shocking. You'd get that at a Bluebell United match.

It's hard to get angry at them essentially for the two things that sent them under, that they couldn't secure a main sponsor and that they couldn't get the locals through the gates.

It's ironic to think that had they not been promoted, they'd most likely still be a club right now. I still maintain if Delaney's salary was put into the LOI prize fund it would make a world of difference to Irish football. Clubs wouldn't be cutting a loss each year from entering anyway. But no one's just considering the bad luck element. They were unlucky that they couldn't get a sponsor. If they did it's likely we wouldn't be talking about this.

Again yeah they should have been more realistic in their budget, but they weren't trying to cheat anyone, they just wanted to play with the big boys and sadly they failed. Says it all really when there's a dog that goes to more home games than most in the town

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 544 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rvp31 View Post
    Seen that on boards. How do we stop our clubs being fucking eejits? Its not the FAI thats been the problem its us.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The ironing of a Shels lad doing the running with it is delicious

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The ironing of a Shels lad doing the running with it is delicious
    I'd love to iron a shels fan.

Wrinkly bastards

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Imo yeah,they would have. Bohs,Drogs,Mons,Dublin City all spent beyond their means with money that wasnt there and or had unrealistic incomes. The FAI shouldnt assume anything,they should look into the facts that there was no basis for what Monaghan proposed coupled with the fact LOI clubs and the folks running them have a track record with being lying bastards.If they had looked into the issue properly before the season,then maybe this would have been avoided!

So what are you saying? If the FAI think a club may possibly be lying in their application they should fuck them out of the league?
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Ian Gilzean
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    If the league was run properly, these 'deaths' wouldn't have happened as clubs wouldn't be allowed budget for money they can't possibly pay.

The way to deal with is to bring in structures that make it impossible for these situations to arise. Thats why the FAI are fault for this type of thing. There's been enough problems at clubs in recent past. Why are they still allowing it to happen?
    For all its faults the FAI cannot legislate for clubs that include untruths in their licensing applications.

Neither can they legislate for clubs who have two sets of books and make illegal, under-the-counter, payments to players.

In many respects the clubs are as much at fault (if not moreso) than the FAI.

The Bohs fans who held up that ridiculous banner on Friday night would be better advised looking at their own club and all the dodgy stuff that went on there before trying to deflect attention onto the FAI.

Administrator
    Thanks
    For all its faults the FAI cannot legislate for clubs that include untruths in their licensing applications.
    Nope, but they can at least make it harder. Through better auditing, and punishment for irregularities

In many respects the clubs are as much at fault (if not moreso) than the FAI.
    I'd never argue against this. but to suggest the FAI have no blame in the running of the game here is equally foolish

Thanks

The Bohs fans who held up that ridiculous banner on Friday night would be better advised looking at their own club and all the dodgy stuff that went on there before trying to deflect attention onto the FAI.
    In fairness it was a very good banner, and a factual statement. No matter how many fans go for a piss up in Poland, football in this country is still not the best, whether that be the fault of the clubs or the FAI.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    So what are you saying? If the FAI think a club may possibly be lying in their application they should fuck them out of the league?
    No,reject their application for a licence and review the next in line

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    In fairness it was a very good banner, and a factual statement. No matter how many fans go for a piss up in Poland, football in this country is still not the best, whether that be the fault of the clubs or the FAI.
    Plus it doesn't actually have a go at anyone. It just says the problems can't be sang away and they can't.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Watching to MNS regarding Monaghan this evening. I couldn't help feeling that Fran Gavin lives on another planet to me. He seems more of an FAI spin doctor than a director of a professional league. Either he is widely out of touch with the reality on the ground, or he was sent on and told "whatever you do don't be negative". I oddly enough found myself pleased with Roddy Collins for giving him such a hard time. Particularly when it came to talking about the stadiums. He must a Shamrock Rover fans, because every time he comes on MNS he seems to mentione them in every sentence. E.G: "there are some good thing happening in the league, such as Rovers move to Tallaght". Or "we do have some good stadiums such as Rovers in Tallaght". Someone should tell him that was five years ago now.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by see View Post
    Watching to MNS regarding Monaghan this evening. I couldn't help feeling that Fran Gavin lives on another planet to me. He seems more of an FAI spin doctor than a director of a professional league. Either he is widely out of touch with the reality on the ground, or he was sent on and told "whatever you do don't be negative". I oddly enough found myself pleased with Roddy Collins for giving him such a hard time. Particularly when it came to talking about the stadiums. He must a Shamrock Rover fans, because every time he comes on MNS he seems to mentione them in every sentence. E.G: "there are some good thing happening in the league, such as Rovers move to Tallaght". Or "we do have some good stadiums such as Rovers in Tallaght". Someone should tell him that was five years ago now.
    And that it's a council stadium that should be being shared with Thomas Davis.

Thanks
    His face when Roddy Collins told him that the stadiums he mentioned were run by the council.
    "I'm not here to debate stadiums with Roddy Collins"

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cian For This Useful Post:

SVM

Thanks
    Never heard McGuinness talk so much sense.

http://www.ciarano.me/post/262751735...ck-loi-players

Administrator
    Thanks
    Tokenism? Ugh

Thanks
    Might be viewed as desperate by some but I think it makes sense. Surprised there's not a Fifa rule somewhere that states the national side must have domestic representation. Would also get international fans more familiar with our players and could entice a few to come to games.
    If that small mention of tokenism annoyed you, you'll love this one.

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...ful-connection

Thanks
    I think its a silly idea. WHy limit your teams chances of performing. Not every country has a national league either.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    I think its a silly idea. WHy limit your teams chances of performing. Not every country has a national league either.
    Doesn't necessarily have to limit the teams chances. I'd have Russel over Green for example. But anyway, each to their own opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Not every country has a national league either.
    3 is it?..........

Dont agree with the article but yeah Russell over Green.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    3 is it?..........

Is it not just Liechtenstein?

+ Reply to Thread