+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Monaghan

Thanks
    6 years of a recession though.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cian View Post
    As bad as the league was before the FAI (Can't recall myself, I'm only a nipper). In the 6 years since they took over 7 clubs have gone under. That's not exactly a great track record.
    Well before licensing, clubs would just go just and start again. Also most of the teams gone were new too
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Well before licensing, clubs would just go just and start again. Also most of the teams gone were new too
    You only have to ask any ex-rovers players before the FAI took over about clubs fucking around with money they hadn't got and clubs being aloud drag it out for a season, fold the company and start again
    Just go onto the CRO company search ,enter shamrock rovers and just look at the amount of folded companies they had,only god knows the other names they traded under

Plenty of ex rovers players were not paid when they got injured,

All be it the FAI are incompetent but they have brought our league forward ( slightly )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Agree the FAI are the lesser of two evils. No fucking way ollie would have pilfered a league from us in 02 if they had been in charge.

As for clubs going to the wall, they are going to the wall cause for the first time ever THEY are accountable. Its a very Irish thing to start blame from the top.

Shels, Bohs, Rovers, Dub city, Fingal, Cork, Galway, Derry and Mons all got into bother from their own doing. Under the old rules Shels, Derry and Bohs would have got away scot free to continue racking up debt.

Things aint perfect but clubs need to realize their is a consequence to their actions. Us included.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    To be fair AlanMc in the case of Mons they only thing they seem to have done is got promoted. They don't appear to be playing ridiculous salaries, just they had slump in sponsorship and attendances. Which begs the question why did the FAI approve a top flight license. If things keep goint the way they are, the league of Ireland will consist of 5 teams all from Dublin . But agreee with most of your other points.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    They didn't have a slump in attendances. They had unrealistic expectations regarding sponsorship and attendances
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Ourselves,Bohs,Drogs (who got banned for it) and Derry had protest banners against the FAI tonight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry potter View Post
    Ourselves,Bohs,Drogs (who got banned for it) and Derry had protest banners against the FAI tonight.

Why?

Thanks
    Seriously?

Thanks
    Seriously?
    Yup why?

Thanks
    Were sick of how the FAI are running things and letting things like Mons happen,especially how Delaney and his cronys see the league. Simple. The Ultra groups that made these banners just said what most LOI fans are thinking

Thanks
    Were sick of how the FAI are running things and letting things like Mons happen,especially how Delaney and his cronys see the league. Simple. The Ultra groups that made these banners just said what most LOI fans are thinking
    Are you aware of what the FAI done for mons?

And are you aware of the irony of Bohs Drogs or Derry protesting about 'the league' not doing things right? Bohs and drogs spent MILLIONS they hadn't got and bought leagues. (we finished second to both by doing it right). Derry were caught technically breaking the law!!!!

Im all for protesting Harry but jaysus choose your bedfellows carefully.

Let me ask a question, what do you think the FAI should have done in the Mons situation?

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Bohs and drogs spent MILLIONS they hadn't got and bought leagues. (we finished second to both by doing it right).
    I'm not sure we were doing it right.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rathfarnham_Saint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    I'm not sure we were doing it right.

We didnt spend money we didn't have.

Thanks
    We didnt spend money we didn't have.
    Did special k not write off a few hundred grand each of those years?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Did special k not write off a few hundred grand each of those years?
    Yeah but he was always going to cover the overspend. Its not like what the rest were at. Bohs spent 2 million they were expecting for land the knew they didn't own! Mons spent money based on a sponsorship deal they didn't have.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh I definitely wasn't saying we were close to doing what they did.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Oh I definitely wasn't saying we were close to doing what they did.
    No we've been very very lucky to have K. God knows where we'd be. Tallaght maybe.

Thanks
    Are you aware of what the FAI done for mons?

And are you aware of the irony of Bohs Drogs or Derry protesting about 'the league' not doing things right? Bohs and drogs spent MILLIONS they hadn't got and bought leagues. (we finished second to both by doing it right). Derry were caught technically breaking the law!!!!

Im all for protesting Harry but jaysus choose your bedfellows carefully.

Let me ask a question, what do you think the FAI should have done in the Mons situation?
    The point was that while Mons submitted figures on expected sponsorships and attendances.Key word is expected.The FAI still granted them a licence.If they had have properly examined Mons application then this could have been avoided.

Yes I see the irony of it,but why didnt the FAI do anything about the way clubs where spending the cash at the time? Surely if they gave a toss they would have seen the red flags coming from the clubs and nipped it in the bud and let clubs come near meltdown.One reason behind the banners was the overall way the FAI oversee Irish football.They care more about the national team and a piss up wherever they go than actually looking after the League and at grassroots level. The groups protested against this

Choose my bedfellows carefully? If the Miners in England had thought this way they wouldnt have protested against Maggie.Same with the Egyptians and Mubarik.The point of a protest is to get a point across and ruffle feathers and not worry if someone will be angry/offended.The groups protested tonight because we love the Clubs we support and are sick of seing this league being made a laughing stock of.

In my opinion the FAI shouldnt have granted Mons a licence,as a I said above.They took over the league and in 6 years 7 clubs have gone.
    Last edited by harry potter; 23rd June 2012 at 02:17 AM.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Fucking Margaret Thatcher and Egyptians ruining the League of Ireland

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HofnerGaz For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Drogs statement on last night.

The club has issued the following statement below. Fair play to them for acting so quickly, the constant foul language being used tonight in front of children was dreadful to hear.

The board of management of Drogheda United would like to apologise unreservedly for the inappropriate behaviour of an element of our supporters in the stadium on Friday night. On a night when we had four underage teams taking part in the activities in the ground at half time, we received numerous complaints from parents and our genuine supporters. Indeed many people left the ground early.

It was a very important night for Drogheda United with a number of distinguished guests including a national television crew from Turkey, sponsors and cross channel football representatives in attendance.

Drogheda United prides itself on being an ambassador for the town both nationally and globally and has the reputation of being a welcoming and friendly club.

It is the position of the club that everyone who enters the ground agrees to behave in a dignified and respectful manner and to make the match night experience enjoyable for everyone.

The actions of a minority of the crowd were completely unacceptable and the club will take appropriate action to ensure that there is no repetition.
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Thank good kdjac wasn't in Drogheda last night.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Thank good kdjac wasn't in Drogheda last night.
    **** you, you ****** ***** ***** ********** ******. indeed.

Thanks
    The point was that while Mons submitted figures on expected sponsorships and attendances.Key word is expected.The FAI still granted them a licence.If they had have properly examined Mons application then this could have been avoided.
    Here in lies the problem. The league ask for licencing criteria to be met. Basically its a business plan for the year going forward. The application must be submitted before a lot of clubs finalize their budget and they offer some projections.

The league assesses if its reasonable and grants or denies.
    This is best practice.

Then the club is trusted to behave in a fitting manner and cut its cloth to measure like most companies.
    I don't see how this is wrong.

In reality some club are spending money in there projections they have been "let down" for. It's like applying for a loan and spending it on a holiday before you hear if your application has been successful or not.

The only way the FAI can be accountable is if they have an accountant in every club.

One reason behind the banners was the overall way the FAI oversee Irish football.They care more about the national team and a piss up wherever they go than actually looking after the League and at grassroots level. The groups protested against this

Not having a go at you at all in this reply but this is the misconception put out there by journos who literally don't have a clue what's going on and the public are buying into it.

What if I told you the FAI don't run grassroots football? Would you believe me?

Choose my bedfellows carefully? If the Miners in England had thought this way they wouldnt have protested against Maggie.Same with the Egyptians and Mubarik.The point of a protest is to get a point across and ruffle feathers and not worry if someone will be angry/offended.The groups protested tonight because we love the Clubs we support and are sick of seing this league being made a laughing stock of.
    I have no idea how any of that is relevant to protesting with a group of fans who's clubs have been ran into the ground by themselves.

In my opinion the FAI shouldnt have granted Mons a licence,as a I said above.They took over the league and in 6 years 7 clubs have gone

Mons met the criteria. They then went off and made a bollox of their club by not running it in the way they promised. The FAI only administer the league The clubs run themselves.
    Last edited by AlanMc; 23rd June 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    One reason behind the banners was the overall way the FAI oversee Irish football.They care more about the national team and a piss up wherever they go than actually looking after the League and at grassroots level.
    Harry I agree with you in a sense. Some of the stuff the FAI does is shocking:

Delaney being on a higher salary than Obama and being one of the highest paid sports executives in the world when the country doesn't even have a fully professional league.

Jetting himself and three other executives business class to Brazil for the draw and staying for what seemed like another piss up holiday while the u19's were struggling over in Eastern Europe in the quarters/semis (can't remember which) of a major tournament against Spain.

Ousting Rooney and just writing his own wage checks since.

The whole having a meeting for Monaghan in Poland and his general carry on in the past couple of weeks.

But to say that the FAI care more about the national side than grassroots is a stupid statement to make. That's the case for every single football body in the world. Look at England, waiting until after the Euros to sentence Terry for the racism so he could play and you can be sure that's why Ferdinand isn't in the squad.

Just using England as an example again but look at their grassroots community. The likes of Manchester United who train the kids on their team but also provide funding for other schoolboy clubs in the area. I'm sure it's a similar situation with Citeh.
    Steven Gerrard; with Liverpool since he was 8
    Jamie Carragher; with Liverpool since he was 11
    Danny Welbeck is just the same they all have them young and train them up like that. Ireland can't come close to that.

Another Saint on here, can't remember who or what thread were saying that they're now qualified to coach u9's and u10's and that that's all very well but their Dutch counterpart for the same age and league level is Denis Bergkamp.

I agree that it all needs to change but I genuinely feel that getting Delaney out and getting someone in on a realistic salary will help. Even €100,000 is a generous salary. Think what that extra €340,000 a year could do for the league. Unfortunately it's an idealist's view and the likely outcome is that we'll end up with a jobs for the boys scenario and the new lad if there is one won't be any better.

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    The FAI and airtricity league are paying some of Monaghan's creditors
    It's a set back for mons but they'll be back

Difference between Mons and SP / Dublin city is that they are comitted to keeping the club alive instead of dissapering

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ó'Nualláin View Post

But to say that the FAI care more about the national side than grassroots is a stupid statement to make. That's the case for every single football body in the world. Look at England, waiting until after the Euros to sentence Terry for the racism so he could play and you can be sure that's why Ferdinand isn't in the squad.

Just using England as an example again but look at their grassroots community. The likes of Manchester United who train the kids on their team but also provide funding for other schoolboy clubs in the area. I'm sure it's a similar situation with Citeh.
    Steven Gerrard; with Liverpool since he was 8
    Jamie Carragher; with Liverpool since he was 11
    Danny Welbeck is just the same they all have them young and train them up like that. Ireland can't come close to that.

Another Saint on here, can't remember who or what thread were saying that they're now qualified to coach u9's and u10's and that that's all very well but their Dutch counterpart for the same age and league level is Denis Bergkamp.

I agree that it all needs to change but I genuinely feel that getting Delaney out and getting someone in on a realistic salary will help. Even €100,000 is a generous salary. Think what that extra €340,000 a year could do for the league. Unfortunately it's an idealist's view and the likely outcome is that we'll end up with a jobs for the boys scenario and the new lad if there is one won't be any better.
    You cannot compare the FA and the FAI in how they support and look after their respective leagues.You just cant!! The only thing you maybe could compare the two associations in is the fact that the FAI would have waited to punish a player after the Euros.

You also cant use the academy system in England as a basis for an argument on how the FAI run the league.The clubs in England have the means to set up academys,with or without FA funds.Our clubs cant even be self sustainable let alon have aspirations of setting up academys to compete with English ones. The players you mentioned came through there local youth clubs and went onto there local academy,These youth clubs have so much better facilties and funding via the FA than our youth clubs can ever hope for.

Awnser me this,why would the FAI even consider to support an academy system in this country to rival the English ones when they can let them be poached by English clubs and devlope over there?

The FAI dont care about the League of Ireland,they care about the national team and prove this by lining there pockets pretty well while the national game suffers.The money made at Euro 2012 wont be invested into the LOI,it will be made into bonuses!

Thanks
    @ Alan Mc,Ive seen first hand that the FAI and Delaney are more interested in having a piss up on an away trip than worrying about how the league gets on!

Why didnt the FAI ask Mons where the extra revenue was coming from,because if they did and Mons said through increased attendance and sponsorships,none of which Mons have had in ages,then surely alarm bells should have begun to ring!

Regarding the fans protesting considering what has happened to them,the FAI didnt do much to stop the overspending.It takes two to tango!

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    You cannot compare the FA and the FAI in how they support and look after their respective leagues.You just cant!! The only thing you maybe could compare the two associations in is the fact that the FAI would have waited to punish a player after the Euros.

You also cant use the academy system in England as a basis for an argument on how the FAI run the league.The clubs in England have the means to set up academys,with or without FA funds.Our clubs cant even be self sustainable let alon have aspirations of setting up academys to compete with English ones. The players you mentioned came through there local youth clubs and went onto there local academy,These youth clubs have so much better facilties and funding via the FA than our youth clubs can ever hope for.

Awnser me this,why would the FAI even consider to support an academy system in this country to rival the English ones when they can let them be poached by English clubs and devlope over there?

The FAI dont care about the League of Ireland,they care about the national team and prove this by lining there pockets pretty well while the national game suffers.The money made at Euro 2012 wont be invested into the LOI,it will be made into bonuses!
    Man I literally think we're arguing the same thing here in different words. My point was they're incomparable and yours is too. Even your last point about the Euros money was the exact same point I was making about jobs for the boys.

+ Reply to Thread