+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Film Thread

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Dont go to the cinema in Dublin much do you? Cunts cant even shut the fuck up for 5 minutes let alone digest a movie a plot.
    You should try a Spanish cinema. It's like a Q & A session half the time, only the actors don't respond.

I've been to the Sitges film festival a couple of times. Rounds of applause every other scene, whistling, whooping, the odd air punch. No popcorn though.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Watched "We are legion" yesterday with is a documentary style movie based on the exploits of the hacker group Anonymous.

Decent watch if there isn't nothing else available.
    Never relegated

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    You should try a Spanish cinema. It's like a Q & A session half the time, only the actors don't respond.
    Was in a cinema in Madrid last October and it was nothing like that but maybe it was a bit arty. Felt weird - unlike the mainstream places that just dub films into Spanish, this place shows films in their original languages with Spanish subtitles. So there I was watching 'The Impossible' in this fancy foreign language - English.

On a similar note, downloaded 'The Future Is Unwritten' (not quite legal but was staying true to the DIY ethic of Punk/Strummer) the other night and was settling in to watch it last night. Comes to the opening scene and as soon as the dialogue kicks in, some bollox starts blabbering in Spanish all over it. Despite having un poco de castellano (estoy aprendiendo ) , couldn't make head nor tail of it. Might piss around with the audio settings to see if there's just English in it anywhere, didn't even think of it last night.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Was in a cinema in Madrid last October and it was nothing like that but maybe it was a bit arty. Felt weird - unlike the mainstream places that just dub films into Spanish, this place shows films in their original languages with Spanish subtitles. So there I was watching 'The Impossible' in this fancy foreign language - English.

On a similar note, downloaded 'The Future Is Unwritten' (not quite legal but was staying true to the DIY ethic of Punk/Strummer) the other night and was settling in to watch it last night. Comes to the opening scene and as soon as the dialogue kicks in, some bollox starts blabbering in Spanish all over it. Despite having un poco de castellano (estoy aprendiendo ) , couldn't make head nor tail of it. Might piss around with the audio settings to see if there's just English in it anywhere, didn't even think of it last night.
    There are 4 cinemas in Barcelona that only show original version. None of them are what you'd call art house but their clientele are pretty much carbon copies of someone you might see spending a Monday afternoon in the IFI. The cinema's relatively expensive so you'd think they might want a bit of hush, but no. Maybe it's a Catalan thing. I saw Richard Hawley in December and he stopped in the middle of song to tell sections of the crowd to shut up. He totally lost the rag, telling them "you've got two options: shut up or fuck off home."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Watched Total Recall last night again for some reason, what a pile of feckin shite.

Spoilers:

Why didnt they just kill him, they said they needed to find Mattias but knew where he was anyway.

And why did the president have to go on missions. And why and why and why......so many stupid fucking things in that movie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kdjac For This Useful Post:

SVM

Thanks
    All TR was was Wiseman showing off how hot his chick is. In fairness he is not wrong.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Got to see Argo last night. loved it. Even though I knew the story the tension was still unreal.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Got to see Argo last night. loved it. Even though I knew the story the tension was still unreal.
    I've watched it twice now. I really loved it. Affleck / goodman / Arkin were all on fire I thought. An absolute disgrace that Affleck didn't get nominated for best director.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Watched flight, v good. Denzel is good but not Oscar good.

Thanks
    Watched Life of Pi. Its a delightfull, uplifting tale about the struggle a blah blah blah.
    Such a load of bollox. Its a terrible waste of time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Watched Life of Pi. Its a delightfull, uplifting tale about the struggle a blah blah blah.
    Such a load of bollox. Its a terrible waste of time.
    Not surprised to hear that. Read the book after a few people recommended it to me and thought it was okay but no better than that. Could never see how a bloke on a raft with a tiger for 2 hours was going to make compelling cinema. Will say that I'm not religious at all - maybe somebody who is might get more out of it.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Saw 'Amour' last night. On a totally different plane to any other film nominated across the categories. (Haven't seen Life of Pi, but like Gaz, read the book a few years ago and can only assume the film's as soppy).

Thanks
    I've watched it twice now. I really loved it. Affleck / goodman / Arkin were all on fire I thought. An absolute disgrace that Affleck didn't get nominated for best director.
    not shit but very ordinary, wasn't the the nail-biting suspense true story thriller for the ages id been led to believe.
    Affleck's acting was wooden as usual but even more so with the beard ,blocking out any shred of human emotion that he might be attempting to portray.
    As a Director Alfred Hitchcocks crown as the king of suspense wan't tarnished , in fact the suspense in this was hammy , over done, bordering unintentionally slapstick . last second phone pick ups , every customs officer shifty eyed ,pausing for an age at every checkpoint and cars that wont start at critical moments ,been done a trillion times and better.
    John Goodman's few scenes were vanilla unlike his few scenes in his other recent movie "Flight" , which were terrific ,and Alan Arkin (who I love) but plays his razor sharp dry comedic self , in every movie he's in and won a best supporting actor only a few years ago for playing himself in little miss sunshine is up for BSA again ?? Overhyped instantly forgettable movie will probably win 12 Oscars .

Thanks
    Watched Les Miserables last night. Quite enjoyed it, didnt think I would. The whole cast is top notch (even ali G) and I quite like that the singing was done in live takes. Felt like a performance.
    I have now seen all 9 best picture nominees and I would rate them as this: (Top is best)
    Argo
    Django Unchained
    Les Miserables
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Silver linings playbook
    Lincoln
    Amour
    Life of Pi
    Beasts of the Southern Wild

Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 666 Posts
    Can't stand watching films dubbed over. Went to a German film last week, cinema's are very cheap here, €6 and the food compared to the one in Dun Laoghaire is a third of the price.

Watched Anchorman yesterday, hadn't watched it in a few years. Great film
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    I keep telling you, check out Incendies.
    Finally watched this last night - great shout, excellent film. Did I prefer it to 'The Lives Of Others'? Hmmm, not sure (though my other half thought Incendies was better) would need to see both again, though the fact it can even be debated makes this film a 'must see'. Liked the way it was set in a fictional country (even though it's obviously Lebanon) and avoided all the "no that didn't actually happen like that" arguments.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Watched Robot and Frank other night, its not bad. Worth watching.

In the near future, Frank is a retired catburglar living alone while his successful son, Hunter, tries to cares for him from afar. Finally, Hunter gets him a robot caretaker, but Frank soon learns that it is useful as a burglary aide. As Frank tries to restart his old profession, the uncomfortable realities of a changing world and his worsening dementia threaten to take beyond what any reboot can do for him.
    Avoid the trailer, its pretty much the entire movie in 3 minutes.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Finally watched this last night - great shout, excellent film. Did I prefer it to 'The Lives Of Others'? Hmmm, not sure (though my other half thought Incendies was better) would need to see both again, though the fact it can even be debated makes this film a 'must see'. Liked the way it was set in a fictional country (even though it's obviously Lebanon) and avoided all the "no that didn't actually happen like that" arguments.
    OK, now that you're finally listening to me, check out Rudo Y Corsi. Nowhere near as good as the other two, but it's about football so you'll like it and it's got Gael Garcia Bernal as eye-candy for her nibs. Win-win.

Alternatively, I recommend The Secrets In Their Eyes or Nine Queens. Or, if you want one where both of yiz will need the subtitles, A Prophet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Watched flight, v good. Denzel is good but not Oscar good.
    Watched this tonight. Very good tale of alcoholism. The flight scenes be crazy!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Saw Django unchained last night. Loved it. Usual Tarantino fare. I've really enjoyed every film he's made.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Saw Django unchained last night. Loved it. Usual Tarantino fare. I've really enjoyed every film he's made.
    Jackie Brown falls way short of his usual standard, for me. I've given second and third viewings and still can't see any of his hallmarks.

Patrons
    Thanks

Alternatively, I recommend The Secrets In Their Eyes or Nine Queens. Or, if you want one where both of yiz will need the subtitles, A Prophet.
    Think it was me told you about The Secret In Their Eyes! Talked about it way back on this thread anyway. Have it and Nueve Reinas on DVD - the latter is enjoyable but nowhere near as good. Will check out A Prophet at some stage.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Loads of great Spanish-language films in the last 10 years or so. As a general rule you can assume that if it has made it to an Irish cinem it's probably pretty decent. One I don't think has been mentioned here is Sleep Tight (Mientras Duermes). It's about a concierge in a posh apartment building in Madrid who takes a few liberties with the residents when they're sleeping. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
    Last edited by oleguer presas i renom; 27th January 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Finally got around to seeing Django Unchained. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Another winner for Tarantino, had the tension and drama that he is known for creating. Samuel L. Jackson had a great performance in it (for a Bohs fan :P) and Christoph Waltz was superb. Also the soundtrack was pretty well done.

Thanks
    On the back of this I watched Incendies last night. Really enjoyed it but cant say its as good as the lives of others.

*****SPOILER******

I was screaming at the tv for the ending not to be so!

Patrons
    Thanks
    ...A Prophet.
    Great shout, cracking film.

Patrons
    Thanks
    On the back of this I watched Incendies last night. Really enjoyed it but cant say its as good as the lives of others.

*****SPOILER******

I was screaming at the tv for the ending not to be so!
    Snap! Literally hollered a 'Nooooooooooooo!' at the screen.

*****SPOILER******

Also the bus scene, I'd read a bit about Lebanon so had an inkling of what was coming but it didn't make it any less gruesome.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    The best way to do spoilers is to change the text colour to white. Anyone who wants to read it then just has to highlight the text.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrtankthreat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    The best way to do spoilers is to change the text colour to white. Anyone who wants to read it then just has to highlight the text.
    All depends on the skin they are using.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    No, best way is not to read below the bit that says 'Spoiler' written in capitals and surrounded by stars.

+ Reply to Thread