+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aintree Day 1

Packie Lynch
    Thanks

Aintree Day 1

First day of the Grand National Meeting and there is some good quality racing.

First race should be a cakewalk for Big Bucks. Its a very weak race and the opposition doesnt look near good enough to challenge him. He is a very short price though.

Second race is a four year old hurdle with the Triumph winner Countrywide Flame taking on some of his rivals from that race. A horse who impressed me in the Triumph was Dodging Bullets who finished 4th when he didnt seem to last home. He is still a maiden but ran in two very good races so far. He is 9/2 currently which is decent enough value.

Third Race is the Betfair Bowl which sees Burton Port 4th in the Gold cup, Riverside Theatre Ryanair Chase winner, and Hunt Ball must improved horse this season clash. I would personal be a fan of Burton Port and with what looks like softish ground would be prefered to Riverside Theatre whos best form is over shorter.

Fourth race is over the national fences which imo are some of the best races of the season. Gwanko is the favourite and has won over these fence before. But failed to complete the last twice over these fences and is quite short price at the moment. My way de Solzen was a very classy horse at his best and if he retains some of his ability and takes to the fences he could run very well.

Fifth race is the 2 mile handicap chase. Very tough race to pick a winner. Astracad let me down at Cheltenham but apart from that has been progressive and has ran well at Aintree before.

Sixth races is the 2m 4f novice chase. If Al Ferof runs to his best he should win.

Last race is a 3m Handicap hurdle. Very tough race again. Might have a small amount on Son of Flicka won well at Cheltenham.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kksaints For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Very trappy looking card, as Aintree often is. Had a good look through it last night and ended up backing just one horse.

There doesn't look to be much between this year's four year olds. Grumeti appeared to have an edge in maturity going into the Triumph but didn't make it count there and the others will be catching up with him in this regard.

Riverside Theatre is the class horse in the Betfair Bowl but had a very tough race in the Ryanair. Medermit is tough and this is probably nearer his ideal trip but he has a bad habit of clattering one and doing for his chances. Burton Port can look one paced when push comes to shove, looks like he wants further than 3 miles these days. What A Friend and Nacarat have both won the race but neither look like they'll appreciate the sticky ground. So I left it.

Boxer Georg was second in the Foxhunters on soft ground last year. The ground is better this time around which Willie Mullins reckons will suit him, so with him having experience of the National fences I've taken a chance on him at 15/2.

Was looking at Astracad myself but he's another who probably won't like the juice in the ground. Al Ferof has a very poor run in the Arkle to overcome so 6/5 is too short for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Fuck yiz all ......en route to aintree as we speak

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Dodging Bullets was poor today. Even before he was hampered he was stuggling. Burton Port ran ok was struggling for a little while but in the end Follow the Plan enjoyed the conditions more and won a shade cosily.
    My way de Solzen ran well for a while but just didnt last the distance which was a tad surprising. Astracad did fairly well but ran into a extremely well handicapped horse.

Al Ferof was very poor was struggling from a fair bit out. Menorah jumped well enough for once to use the class that we know he has.

+ Reply to Thread