+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Galway United Supporters Trust FC

Thanks

Galway United Supporters Trust FC

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/...upporters.html

The Galway United Supporters Trust have applied for a First Division licence that will see a new football club formed and potentially end the 74-year run of Galway United.

The supporter body has played a huge role in running the club recently but revealed at last night's AGM their decision to walk away from the agreement with the club's directors.

United's nightmare 2011 season, where they finished bottom of the table with just six points, proved extremely difficult and needed constant fundraising to get through the campaign.

The Trust claim there is little chance of Galway United obtaining a licence for next season.

They are keen to start afresh in the second tier of the league and have stated their target of paying wages and expenses owed to players from the 2011 season.

The Galway United directors responded this afternoon by stating they are withdrawing their licence application for 2012.

They said: "Following the extremely late decision by GUST to withdraw from the transitional agreement to run Galway United Football Club, the directors are left with no option but to withdraw their application for a licence for the Airtricity League 2012 season.

"The ensuing 12 months will allow the club to assess strategic and infrastructural changes that are required to be made ahead of an application for the 2013 season.

"A decision will then be taken as to the best route forward for soccer in Galway and discussions will take place with all stakeholders."

The future of Galway United will now depend on the application of GUST FC, which if successful, is likely to put an end to the Tribesmen.
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Madness having 3 LOI teams in Galway. Absolute madness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnylowry View Post
    Madness having 3 LOI teams in Galway. Absolute madness.
    Everybody seems to be saying that, how is it madness? Dublin have 6 teams (including bray who i still class a dublin) and they seem to be staying afloat while Galway is a much bigger county and should be well able to have 3 if they live within their means
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,865 Times in 2,622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hano View Post
    Everybody seems to be saying that, how is it madness? Dublin have 6 teams (including bray who i still class a dublin) and they seem to be staying afloat while Galway is a much bigger county and should be well able to have 3 if they live within their means
    Bigger county but fuck all people living there. And its more about 3 clubs fighting for the same players than about 'living within their means'. Salthill and Mervue get less than 50 people to some games. So they can survive, but they'll never go above that
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Population Galway county 250,000. Population Dublin county 1,270,000 (wiki).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    Sligo 60,000 + Longford 31,000 + Monaghan 32,000 + Louth 101,000 = 224,000 which is less than Galways population so doesnt really say much

Galways attendence was about average 400, Salthill and Mervue average attendence 50ish so total average of around 600 people, Longford have an average of about that with 31,000 people living there
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Peter Carpenter
    Thanks
    I suppose i will correct this for you,before anybody else does...4 dublin teams and 2 from nearby wicklow

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixtiessaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Galways attendence was about average 400
    870 last season.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    GAA is a lot stronger in Galway than in Sligo not so sure about Longford though.

Patrons
    Thanks
    I think people are missing the point of this slightly-

Galway (like cork and Derry) are simply looking to fold, dodge creditors and start again in the same stadium, with the same players and the same jersey.

They keep the history and pretty much suffer no consequences of note (a season or 2 in div 1)

It's ridiculous that these clubs have bypassed the A championship and walk into the league with no sanctions at all (because they are technically new clubs)

I agree 3 clubs in Galway doesn't work- better one amalgamation with everyone pulling together.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    I
    I agree 3 clubs in Galway doesn't work- better one amalgamation with everyone pulling together.
    Junior and Senior clubs, be like Crumlin passing up that golden money and joining Pats.

if anyone ever unites all the leagues, they will be a hero and this country will produce shitloads of footballers.

Aint gonna happen tho.

+ Reply to Thread