+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1287

Thread: The Ireland national team thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Am absolutely amazed some people still want him back!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Am absolutely amazed some people still want him back!
    there seems to be an obsession with it now. How well or poorly, he is playing appears to be irrelevant.
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    I was happy to give him a chance if he was to come back after trap! Now I think MON is spot on if he wants to play he can ring him!

What an absolute waste of talent that fella is
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    id be more concerned about the likes of Jack Grealish coming into the fold soon, i hope we dont miss out on him he looks super (when ive seen him U21s) hes been asked previous to play for England youth level and has rejected offers so far...
    Liam Buckleys red and White Army

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    there seems to be an obsession with it now. How well or poorly, he is playing appears to be irrelevant.

It was similar-ish with Mclean. Fans and media demanding he play, like we had some sort of Messi on our hands. The stadium erupted when he made his debut. Absolutely unreal, bang average player at best

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    free tickets to the Turkey game if anyone wants them. Must be in sets of 4.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180...brand=ie_aviva

use code FAMAVIVA

Tickets can be printed or collected. No cost at all
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Patrons
    Thanks
    Think they're all gone

Cheers though, Dodge!

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    It was similar-ish with Mclean. Fans and media demanding he play, like we had some sort of Messi on our hands. The stadium erupted when he made his debut. Absolutely unreal, bang average player at best
    Completely different situation to McClean. McClean was in ridiculous form for Sunderland when he came into the team and we were in dire need of some imagination. Hence the reaction on his debut. In hindsight you're right - he is average enough - but 2 years ago he looked very promising.

Thanks
    So the new ireland jersey... obviously the jersey itself is nothing special, it's just a green jersey. But for some reason the shorts are a slightly different shade of green.

https://twitter.com/UmbroIreland/sta...030721/photo/1

Looks like they just mixed and matched the kit
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    So the new ireland jersey... obviously the jersey itself is nothing special, it's just a green jersey. But for some reason the shorts are a slightly different shade of green.

Not a fan of that kit. Nothing special about it IMO
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Robbie View Post
    Not a fan of that kit. Nothing special about it IMO
    There's only so much that can be done with a green jersey sure. They just made a new version to sell to people.

Apparently the different colored shorts is intentional, looks stupid up close
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Patrons
    Thanks

I'm a strange bloke granted but I really like that New Jersey haha

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Too cork like for me

Patrons
    Thanks
    There's only so much that can be done with a green jersey sure. They just made a new version to sell to people.

Apparently the different colored shorts is intentional, looks stupid up close
    Same with Hoops- everytime Shams and Celtic release a new Jersey, it looks exactly like the previous one, and the one before that, and the one before that.

Patrons
    Thanks
    what was the attendance ?
    Cyril The Judas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    what was the attendance ?
    They announced something like 25,000
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Best fans in the world
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    Best fans in the world
    The 25,000 at it probably are!!

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Most journalists i've heard think that figure is way over estimated and also there were a load of free tickets given out. Guess the Keane/O'Neill show isn't getting the punters to fork out their cash like the FAI thought it would. I'd say Delaney wouldn't be too unhappy if Keane was offered the Celtic gig. It's amazing to contrast how far Rugby has come and how much Soccer has declined in this country over the last 10 years of so. That Delaney chap is worth every penny.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eskersaint View Post
    It's amazing to contrast how far Rugby has come and how much Soccer has declined in this country over the last 10 years of so. That Delaney chap is worth every penny.
    Not trying to defend Delaney but I think that's got far more to do with the event junkie factor in this country than anything else.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Not trying to defend Delaney but I think that's got far more to do with the event junkie factor in this country than anything else.
    Agree, but that's what puts the IRFU miles ahead of the FAI in terms of performance. They have a sport that damn all people play and is only played by a handful of countries. They've recognised what their audience is and marketed it so well that they can fill the stadium every time they play and therefore can charge pretty much whatever they want. Lansdowne on rugby day is the place to be and they've carried that down to Heineken Cup and lately to the Rabo Direct mickey mouse competition. That hasn't happened by accident. They've hyped it up and got the press on board and with that have come the event junkies. I wonder how many people watching the Irish Rugby team have ever played the game or even understand most of the rules. It's a fabulous achievement by the IRFU.
    The FAI have soccer as their product. It's the biggest sport in the world and it also has the biggest participation of all sports in this country. When the Irish Soccer team were doing well Lansdowne was sold out but the domestic game was ignored. I'd say very few clubs in Ireland, whether it be League of Ireland, Junior or Schoolboy League would count the FAI as an association that helps them and promotes the game in any meaningful way. The "in it for the jolly" culture of successive administrations has prevented that.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eskersaint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Cyril The Judas

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it has a lot to do with ticket prices and Trap era boring us out of the stadium.

I spent €100.00 a game up until I couldn't stand the shite Trap dished up to us and stopped going, now I have no idea where I would find €100 to go back. Basically I have found something else to spend my money on at the FAI's loss.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rathcoolesaint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    I can tell you that I stopped going once we moved back to the Aviva - When we moved out of Lansdowne, Delaney made a commitment to supporters that the prices were only going to be hiked up while we were in Croke Park to cover the extra rent, and pay-back on the loan for the Aviva, but would be dropped back to their original price once we went back to Lansdowne/Aviva.....then this day comes, and the snake comes out with "As a mark of respect to our loyal fans, we will not be increasing the ticket prices from what they currently are"......I may be a fool for football, but I'm not gullible.

Patrons
    Thanks
    IN fairness the Rugby stuff is very different.

Firstly the Rugby thing is a lifestyle, its indoctrinated in (mostly) private schools similar to the way the GAA run most rpimary schools.

Then there is the level of competition, rugby has "tests" not friendlies - and by and large teh difference in intensity is phenominal.

Irish Soccer international friendlies are at a snails pace and as a form of entertainment is appalling. Rugby "friendlies" (Tests") against New Zealand, Argentina, Australia or South Africa are entralling.

There is also the rise of the domestic rugby game, new fans are going alot more regularly.

Its not all roses- the IRFU have struggled to sell our the games V Samoa, Tonga and even sometime the 6N games agains Scotland.

at the end of teh day, we all ahve less money and we will spend it as we see best -

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Caolan For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    As frustrating as he can be, I don't think I've ever seen anyone score a better goal for Ireland in a competitive match than McGeady's winner last night.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts
    Kennedy v yugoslavis or whelan v russia or mcateers world cup winner in the h&s ad.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    As frustrating as he can be, I don't think I've ever seen anyone score a better goal for Ireland in a competitive match than McGeady's winner last night.
    The touch off his left foot after he swiveled on his right was magnificent.

I'm not a big fan of Mcgeady because he's so frustrating to watch and his end product is so poor but he's started the season well and if he can be a bit more consistent he will be a big player for us.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Kennedy v yugoslavis or whelan v russia.
    Yugoslavia and the USSR were much more than a cut above this Georgia side, but McGeady's second was by far the better goal for me. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and he did it. His speed of thought and movement were exceptional. The other two goals had more to do with instinct. Whelan's goal was special, but you see goals like Kennedy's every week in EPL. He had a pop when there was nothing on. 9 times out of ten that shot goes over bar or at best comes off a defender for a corner.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    The other two goals had more to do with instinct. Whelan's goal was special, but you see goals like Kennedy's every week in EPL. He had a pop when there was nothing on. 9 times out of ten that shot goes over bar or at best comes off a defender for a corner.
    Plus Whelan's came off his shin. Kennedy only put his left foot through the ball to avoid his nightmare scenario of having to use his right.

+ Reply to Thread