+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1287

Thread: The Ireland national team thread

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post
    Dont think they deserved the draw, makes qualifying tougher but you'd have to fancy us away to anyone.

I think we will draw with Germany and Sweden and beat Austria while we should beat the Faroes and Kazachstan so there is still a lot to play for.
    Really? I can't see us beating Austria away even tho they are poor. We can't beat any half decent team at home so we wont beat Sweden and there is no chance of getting anything in Germany unless they are already qualified and play all Bundesliga 2 players

Quote Originally Posted by Caolan
    Houlihan is utterly unsuitable to bring on to shore up and close out a game. Priority was not conceding rather than getting #3
    We keep giving them the ball to attack us, even if you give a poor team that much of the ball they will eventually punish you, we needed a player who could put his foot on the ball and slow the game down and kill the last few minutes, Hoolihan would have been perfect for this.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Really surprised anyone saw positives in Sammon last night. Way out of his depth IMO, gave gave us nothing last night
    Couldn't disagree more. Far more effective in general play than I thought he'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    We defended comfortbly until very late and the goal was one of those (Very disappointing) things.

Calls for traps head because be didn't bring Houlihan on/took long off are rediculous. Houlihan is utterly unsuitable to bring on to shore up and close out a game. Priority was not conceding rather than getting #3

And in fairness the last 30 mins, we remained compact and hard working and the equaliser came from a pot shot, rather than defensive frailties.
    I'd disagree slightly with this too. The feeling I got, and from tlaking to others they got it too, was that because we were so deep for the lat 20+ minutes, we were asking for trouble. Sure the goal was a screamer but the guy wasn't closed down and had 6/7 Irish bodies in front of them. You can't soak up all that pressure (and I don't think we were that comfortable) without making mistakes. There was no lack of effort from irish defenders who threw themselves into everything but mistakes happened and chances created.

The goal came shorty after Paul Green, playing wide right(!), lost the ball. You can't say that Hoolahan wouldn't have been a better option when trying to hold on to the ball IMO. If we was going to play Green in the middle to get blocks/tackles in, then he's ion ahead of Hoolhan but wide right when they're screaming out for someone to keep possesion and give the defence a break?
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    The only thing that went wrong last night was when McCarthy went and hoofed the ball away with 90 seconds left, Could of kept possession and it would of finished 2-1!

That new 3 advert should include some of them Boo's after the final whistle from a section of the 'Best Fans In The World'
    Last edited by ChrisM; 27th March 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Really surprised anyone saw positives in Sammon last night. Way out of his depth IMO, gave gave us nothing last night
    He gave us effort, which should be expected as the bare minimum. The centre half he was up against plays in the footballing powerhouse that is Switzerland and coped comfortably enough with him. He'll never offer us goals (he's the joint 35th top scorer in the Championship this season), and anything else he brings to the table can be done by Doyle or Walters who are unquestionably better players.

A win last night would have been our best home result under Trap. Our best competitive result in Dublin remains a 3-1 win against Andorra.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. Far more effective in general play than I thought he'd be.

So he exceeded your low expectations against poor opposition. He should be judged by the same standards as anyone else. He's not good enough. He did nothing last night to suggest otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    So he exceeded your low expectations against poor opposition. He should be judged by the same standards as anyone else. He's not good enough. He did nothing last night to suggest otherwise.
    I didn't say I had low expectations. I thought he'd do OK and he was better than I thought he'd be. He was better than premeirship regular (and scorer of two goals) Walters last night in open play (admittedly Walters out of position).

The problem with Ireland last night wasn't going forward though. Clark's error was absymal and most of the back four couldn't wait to get rid of the ball.

Thanks
    i think well get five points in the next five games . two draws one win two defeats

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Was very sad leaving Lansdowne last night. Clark's error was abysmal. Ball should never have been given back to him by Wilson but still bad play by Clark. A jammy deflected goal in stoppage time away from a win. McCarthy didn't get back properly for their second. What annoyed me was Trap on the sidelines beckoning everyone back towards their own goal. I've no problem bringing on a midfielder in lieu of a striker with 5 minutes to go while protecting a lead but for Christ sake why get everyone back on the 18 yard line when Austria hadn't got near the Irish goal all game outside the opening 20 minutes?

A lot of luck went against Ireland last night too though. Backheel off the post, McClean's free inches away, one of the most amazing reaction saves I've ever seen and all that shitty luck culminating in a scrappy deflected goal with less than a minute to go.

Conor Sammon was fantastic in my opinion. He won every single header he went up for (one of which set up the backheel off the post) In a game that a lot of the times was played as long balls out of defence or crossfield balls towards the box, I don't know what more can be asked of him. He did his job very well.

No need to talk about Long. Everyone knows how unreal he was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
    i think well get five points in the next five games . two draws one win two defeats
    you dont think we'll beat both the faroes and Kazakhstan?

i think we will get 8 from next 5 games.

Sweden to get 10

Austria to get 6

Is this traps last campaign? if so thank fuck for that.
    Last edited by danthesaint; 27th March 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    6 Irish players in the Villa squad who just won the next gen. Barca, Real, man city etc all involved.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    6 Irish players in the Villa squad who just won the next gen. Barca, Real, man city etc all involved.
    Does it say something about the "elite" youth academy's that 3/4 of the semi finalists were from England (Arse, Chel, Villa).

The nextgen is an U19 competition as far as I know (with 3 overage players permitted)

A very good initiative. Would like to see it evolve and possible the likes of LOI entering a team (LOi U19 selection)

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Does it say something about the "elite" youth academy's that 3/4 of the semi finalists were from England (Arse, Chel, Villa).
    Doesn't really say too much, Liverpool were the only English club in the semi's last year and they got battered by Ajax!

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Ireland v Spain in Yankee Stadium on June 11th...

Patrons
    Thanks
    So we're gonna making the hammering by Spain a yearly event? Lovely
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to saintjoey For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Pribably means the English want to win more at that age. I'll be taking the Dutch, Spanish, German lads etc in 3/4 years time though

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    I never use cup competitions to gauge anything. Every year league around Europe are perceived as being in crisis because of results of euro competitions.

To compare things like this simply watch the games and make your mind up based on what you see.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Ireland v Spain in Yankee Stadium on June 11th...
    Here's a piece I wrote on the Staunton squad to play in the US

http://balls.ie/football/ireland-int...iendly-lapira/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    fair play to paddy the panther. he is a legend.

at half time in the game against georgia today all loi mascots were in the centre circle for a dance off. as soon as it started he went straight for hooperman and took him down with a rugby tackle!

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    fair play to paddy the panther. he is a legend.

at half time in the game against georgia today all loi mascots were in the centre circle for a dance off. as soon as it started he went straight for hooperman and took him down with a rugby tackle!
    Got there ahead of me. I was gonna say the same. Total legend. Saw the opportunity and took it. Fair play. The time he went in goal with the kids at half time was class too. Talked to him on the trip to Cork and he's a sound lad. Couldn't say enough nice things about him to be honest.

Thanks
    Ex Saint Stephen Quinn made his debut, fair play to him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    Got there ahead of me. I was gonna say the same. Total legend. Saw the opportunity and took it. Fair play. The time he went in goal with the kids at half time was class too. Talked to him on the trip to Cork and he's a sound lad. Couldn't say enough nice things about him to be honest.
    Welcome to the forum Paddy the Panther.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Paddy the Panther at the Ireland match

WWS - Remembered Always

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Trap has picked probably the most attacking team we can afford to.

Hope we git these for 3-4 to get the goal difference up in our favour.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Well considering the squad we put out I thought we played quite well last night, Spain are just a class above everyone else. They toyed with us at times.

Thought Kelly, Coleman, Ledger and McCarthy were brilliant.

Perfectly good gol disallowed too!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Thought sammon was excellent.

Goal was definitely offside.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    I think the fact that the pitch was tiny helped us no end. Spain couldn't pull the lads out of position as much. On a bigger pitch it probably would have been another hiding. Forde played absolutely deadly again, our goal was definitely offside and Spain's second goal was orgasmic.

Patrons
    Thanks
    What's the deal with confederations cup- who gets invited and why?

Thanks
    Its made up of the best teams from each of the six Fifa confederations,the hosts of the next world cup and the present world champions.Italy are there because Spain are the present world champions so Italy go in as European champions because Spain are world champions and beat Italy in the final.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Along with Asian /Oceanic /African/ North American/ World/ Euros/ Copa champions

Tahiti gonna get raped seriously.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    where is tahiti? surely theres better than them in whatever continent there from
    Liam Buckleys red and White Army

+ Reply to Thread