Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ireland national team thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Portugal 0-1 Northern Ireland. Niall McGinn :O
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Unbelievable, Germany 4-4 Sweden. Last kick of the game to equalise, and they were 4-0 down
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    That was Trap's plan for Friday: go 6 down and stage a miraculous comeback. There just wasn't enough time left.

Noel Campbell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    It's hard to know Joey. O'brien was trying to be part of the solution by paying half traps wages. .
    Hee hee, read that quickly as Joey O'Brien was paying half of Trappatonis wages. I thought, wow, theres being keen to get a game but that's just mental

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redstar For This Useful Post:

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure Brady said tonight that Austria had dropped points to Kazakhstan. What was he on about? They hammered them 4-0.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    I'm pretty sure Brady said tonight that Austria had dropped points to Kazakhstan. What was he on about? They hammered them 4-0.
    He defo said that, also Tony O'Donoghue said that Sweeden were beaten in Germany...

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inchicore View Post
    He defo said that, also Tony O'Donoghue said that Sweeden were beaten in Germany...
    Didn't see it, but very surprised at Tony O'Donoghue. Great professional and he's likeable into the bargain. Compare him to Crooks or Shreeves and he seems even better.

Brady has lost all credibility since he came back to RTE. He has nothing to offer anymore.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Didn't see it, but very surprised at Tony O'Donoghue. Great professional and he's likeable into the bargain. Compare him to Crooks or Shreeves and he seems even better.

Brady has lost all credibility since he came back to RTE. He has nothing to offer anymore.
    He said it on the sports section of the news.

Think Tony is usually brilliant myself, would love if he had have got MNS instead of Collins.

Patrons
    Thanks
    reckon that was just a mix up with faroes! agree he has lost the plot when it comes to trap
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

New Signing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inchicore View Post
    I think Brady said that the 6 goals conceded against Germany didnt matter (only matters head to head against them}........this is not true as if we finish level with Sweden on points...then it goes to goal difference from all group qualifying games.

RULE

The eight best runners-up will be determined by the following parameters in this order:

Highest number of points
    Goal difference
    Highest number of goals scored

Almost like dropping 4 points against Germany.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    He was talking about the 1-1 draw between them last week.

Also on the Tony O'Donoghue comment, Sweden were being beaten by Germany at the time and didn't look like they were going to get 4 goals back.

New Signing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noel Mernagh View Post
    A lot of the players in the squad probably wouldn't be there under a new manager, Robbie Keane included.

Why would they speak out against a man giving them international football?

International football or football in general isn't about individuals, it's about doing your best for the club or country you are representing weather it be lsl, prem or international. If they don't feel that they can bring anything good to the cause then whats the point? Be man enough to admit it and if you don't feel that the manager is up to the task be man enough to admit that to. You won't get anywhere in football if you are carrying dead weight

New Signing
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donnchaidh View Post
    I think Brady said that the 6 goals conceded against Germany didnt matter (only matters head to head against them}........this is not true as if we finish level with Sweden on points...then it goes to goal difference from all group qualifying games.

RULE

The eight best runners-up will be determined by the following parameters in this order:

Highest number of points
    Goal difference

George Hamilton said that about the goal difference, wouldn't listen to a word out of his mouth anyway

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donnchaidh View Post

RULE

Highest number of points
    Goal difference

Thats the rule for deciding which 8 runners up go through to the play offs (there's 9 groups and the top 8 go through to play offs. The 'worst' runner up doesn't even go to play offs). Within each group, its head to head, then goal difference. So Goal difference would only count if we were level on points with another team, and had split the games we played bettwen us 9eg we drew both games or both sides each won a game 2-0)
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    If qualifying is our ambition should we not wait till that's impossible before sacking the manager? Tends to be the norm in less hysterical countries.

Last time we were in these waters the FAI bowed to the press and general gobshitery and sacked/hounded out* Mick McCarthy after 2 games of a campaign.

That turned out to be a stroke of genius................................
    Last edited by AlanMc; 17th October 2012 at 11:40 AM.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Thats the rule for deciding which 8 runners up go through to the play offs (there's 9 groups and the top 8 go through to play offs. The 'worst' runner up doesn't even go to play offs). Within each group, its head to head, then goal difference. So Goal difference would only count if we were level on points with another team, and had split the games we played bettwen us 9eg we drew both games or both sides each won a game 2-0)
    did they not change it this time? i thought i heard the group that Spain and France were in that only 1st place go threw?

Patrons
    Thanks
    Choice between taking €2/3,000,000 out of Domestic/Grassroots football to get rid of Trap (while maintaining Delaneys €360k salary + the pay of his board mates)

Or keeping trap for another 18 months...Its a no brainer.

Trap has been a lucky manager in general (Kerr alternatively was a better manager but got no luck i'd claim)-

I was pleased that Meyler, Coleman, Wilson, Brady and McCarthy were involved. Now just get McClean, Pearce and a few other in a bit more and give them this campaign to develop. They are involved now and should be going forward.

The likes of Keane, Dunne and O'Shea should maybe be weaned out (the first two wont be around for next qualifying campaign). While O'Dea isnt really good enough.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Choice between taking €2/3,000,000 out of Domestic/Grassroots football to get rid of Trap (while maintaining Delaneys €360k salary + the pay of his board mates)

Or keeping trap for another 18 months...Its a no brainer.

Trap has been a lucky manager in general (Kerr alternatively was a better manager but got no luck i'd claim)-

I was pleased that Meyler, Coleman, Wilson, Brady and McCarthy were involved. Now just get McClean, Pearce and a few other in a bit more and give them this campaign to develop. They are involved now and should be going forward.

The likes of Keane, Dunne and O'Shea should maybe be weaned out (the first two wont be around for next qualifying campaign). While O'Dea isnt really good enough.
    It only costs that much if you pay the successor the same ludicrous amount of money. We leave Trap there and we'll pay it to him anyway.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Genuinely amazed there are still people supporting Trap.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    If qualifying is our ambition should we not wait till that's impossible before sacking the manager? Tends to be the norm in less hysterical countries.
    if qualifying is our only aim, then I think we should change the goals. You must've not cared at all about the performances in Poland seeing as we qualified (if thats all that mattered)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    did they not change it this time? i thought i heard the group that Spain and France were in that only 1st place go threw?
    Not sure what this means

All group winners qualify automatically. The top 8 runners up qualify (with the worst missing out). The decide the best 8 using the system above (and they don't count results against the 6th best team in each group)

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Not sure what this means

All group winners qualify automatically. The top 8 runners up qualify (with the worst missing out). The decide the best 8 using the system above (and they don't count results against the 6th best team in each group)
    Assuming Sweden deserved their point last night (didn't see the game), that could all be immaterial because they'd take 4/6 points from us pretty handily as things stand.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Not sure what this means

yeah that's the way iv always thought of it! thought i read somewhere it changed and remember thinking its good enough for France(assuming Spain won group) but think i misread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Assuming Sweden deserved their point last night (didn't see the game), that could all be immaterial because they'd take 4/6 points from us pretty handily as things stand.

They struggled big time to take points at home to Kazachstan and away to the Faroes

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    They struggled big time to take points at home to Kazachstan and away to the Faroes
    Ordinarily, that would fill me with some confidence. Can't help thinking, though, that for all intents and purposes our campaign could very well be over by the time we play Austria at home. And to make matters worse, nothing will have changed - the same players will be marginalised, there'll be no purpose to our play, and the same arguments will be used to justify the management.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun Laoghaire Saint View Post
    He was talking about the 1-1 draw between them last week.
    Aha. I hadn't realised they had played each other home and away already. It was 0-0 though according to the official FIFA World Cup website.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Apparently we havent beaten a team ranked higher than us in the world in a competitive game since we beat Holland in 2001 (Ouch!!!!)

Its not that I support Trappatoni- but to sack him you will need to pay up all/most of his contract + hire a replacement. doesnt make sense to me considering the possibilities of him or an alternative qualifying.

Oh- and for all the talk about trappatoni being paid so much (€2million per year) - do people really think Harry Redknapp or Mick McCarthy are going to come for less? thats what most championship managers earn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Apparently we havent beaten a team ranked higher than us in the world in a competitive game since we beat Holland in 2001 (Ouch!!!!)

Its not that I support Trappatoni- but to sack him you will need to pay up all/most of his contract + hire a replacement. doesnt make sense to me considering the possibilities of him or an alternative qualifying.

Oh- and for all the talk about trappatoni being paid so much (€2million per year) - do people really think Harry Redknapp or Mick McCarthy are going to come for less? thats what most championship managers earn.
    It makes lots of sense if you want to qualify for France Caolon. We will not qualify for brazil, I have no doubt in my mind about that (of course I am happy to be wrong) So I would rather the campaign was spent setting the team up for the euro's, rather than dropping some new manager in it the summer after next.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Ah the old, wait until it's goes wrong before we fix it. Why not sort it out before it breaks when you can see it coming?
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rathfarnham_Saint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    It makes lots of sense if you want to qualify for France Caolon. We will not qualify for brazil, I have no doubt in my mind about that (of course I am happy to be wrong) So I would rather the campaign was spent setting the team up for the euro's, rather than dropping some new manager in it the summer after next.
    Yup- but there is a big argument that international managers cannot develop/nurture young talent in 20 days training and 6 matches a year - thats the job of club managers and its the international managers job to pick the best players available.

Ok- exposure to intl footbal lfor Wilson, Brady, McCarthy etc cannon be a bad thing- but if they arent good enough for club level (Joe Cuirreall and Terry Dixon etc) then early exposure isnt worth a salt.

I guess what i'm saying right now is that the financial repercussions of sacking Trap outweigh the positive football ones....unfortunately.

+ Reply to Thread