Forde

Coleman - O'Shea - Dunne - Wilson

Walters - Green - McCarthy - Pilkington

Keane - Long

Thanks
    Paul poxy Green....

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Trap's had a brain transplant. He's totally lost it.
    We have 'no league' unlike Sweden and Austria.
    Funny then that we beat Elfsborg, innit?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...mpers-ireland/

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Not surprised by this selection: always on the cards he would pick Green: Hes a kick bollock and bite type of manager. Sad really.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddydillon View Post
    Trap's had a brain transplant. He's totally lost it.
    We have 'no league' unlike Sweden and Austria.
    Funny then that we beat Elfsborg, innit?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...mpers-ireland/

I think Trap keeps the 'no league' excuse in his back pocket as his get out of jail card. He has used it before. They're clearly words for the benefit of the Italian press regardless of what language they're spoken in. He might not speak great English, but he's not stupid. He's knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Ian Gilzean
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    I assumed you were on a wind up unless you think people from "Northern" Ireland are less likely to support the national team than people from Southern, Western or Eastern Ireland, regardless of whether or not they happened to be a professional footballer pre-GFA.

I don't think it's too presumptuous to say that he probably feels some attachment to the Republic side.
    Well said.

He's proven well able to motivate and manage fairly mediocre teams and ensure that they punch well above their weight.

Of the other main candidates, it's possibly a little early for Hughton. Regarding McCarthy it seems people have really short memories and seem to have forgotten the end of his reign last time and the awful abuse he received especially after his final game against Switzerland.

I am always very wary of quoting from Wikipedia but the following is very true from my recollection of the time:

"Criticism of McCarthy in the media became increasingly intense after a poor start to Ireland's qualifying campaign for Euro 2004. In particular, his persistence with several players and tactics that some perceived to be inadequate did him damage, as did a 4–2 away defeat to Russia and a 2–1 home defeat to Switzerland."

A couple of bad results and no doubt the same thing will happen and people will be crying for his head again.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Republic View Post
    Well said.

He's proven well able to motivate and manage fairly mediocre teams and ensure that they punch well above their weight.

Of the other main candidates, it's possibly a little early for Hughton. Regarding McCarthy it seems people have really short memories and seem to have forgotten the end of his reign last time and the awful abuse he received especially after his final game against Switzerland.

I am always very wary of quoting from Wikipedia but the following is very true from my recollection of the time:

"Criticism of McCarthy in the media became increasingly intense after a poor start to Ireland's qualifying campaign for Euro 2004. In particular, his persistence with several players and tactics that some perceived to be inadequate did him damage, as did a 4–2 away defeat to Russia and a 2–1 home defeat to Switzerland."

A couple of bad results and no doubt the same thing will happen and people will be crying for his head again.
    Same could be said of any manager! I think mick was treated badly by fans and FAI but at the time I was only 12 and wanted him sacked meself! If he got the job I'd be happy, we are not gonna attract much better! Doubt he would even go for it tbh
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 466 Posts
    Who do you get in?

I used to love Martin O'Neill and would have loved him to be manager before Trap got the job. Looking now, he wouldn't be my choice at all. Seems to have struggled with the move to big money spending teams. He is the ultimate put them under pressure manager when it comes to long balls.

Mick McCarthy is a great manager and has proven himself over the years. Would I give him another shot? Possibly yes...But I wouldn't rush into that decision.

Chris Hughton is a young manager with bags of experience being a number 2. He's done a great job so far with Norwich but again I wouldn't rush into appointing him as national manager. He does know the ropes and was heavily involved with Kerr for a couple of years, but again is he the one?

Roy Keane - No, tosser and a rubbish manager

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Hughton? You're having a laugh lads. Walking out of a Premiership job to manage an International team like Ireland would be career suicide. Can't see him touching us with a barge pole having waited so long to be a manager.

I liked McCarthy and always thought he never got the credit he deserved but there's still baggage from his last time here that would get dragged out again after a few bad results.

Keane is all mouth and no brain.

I'd be worried O' Neill's fire has gone out. While rarely easy on the eye, his teams were if nothing else always up for it. That didn't happen at Sunderland. Towards the end he blamed the quality of player he had available to him. That's so unlike him - he had very average players at Leicester and Celtic and got them to believe they were a match for anyone. If he himself believes they're inferior, that's going to transmit to the players. And he'd have a lot of dross to motivate in the Ireland job.

We're gonna end up with Bryan Robson, aren't we?
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Maybe Johnny Giles will advocate Paul Jewell again?
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

Might be fourth time lucky for Joe Kinnear. Maybe in an advisory role as part of a world-class management team with Jason McAteer.

Patrons
    Thanks
    99.99% of me knows we're out.

But, the magic of football has me thinking we could win all 3 games and Sweden will drop points Vs Austria and Germany.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post

But, the magic of football has me thinking we could win all 3 games and Sweden will drop points Vs Austria and Germany.
    We've won 3 games in this campaign - two against the Faroes and one against Kazhakstan that we deserved to lose.

I think tonight's game will be similar to Sweden away. The players have enough pride to put in a shift even if they don't know what the manager wants them to do and they're lined out like it's 1996. Has a draw written all over it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Come on you supersaints View Post

Stuey Byrne welcome to the forum.
    Dreamed a dream.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Saintshead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Play coleman they said.
    Play wilson they said.
    Play McCarthy they said.
    Play Walters they said.

What it didn't work?
    Sack the manager he hasn't got a clue......They say........
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    I'd love Mick McCarthy back or Brian Kerr or even Dolo maybe
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Play coleman they said.
    Play wilson they said.
    Play McCarthy they said.
    Play Walters they said.

What it didn't work?
    Sack the manager he hasn't got a clue......They say........
    Who said play Wilson and Walters?

In fairness to Trap (and I'm no fan of him) some of the players people were going mad to get in the team never really worked out, McClean being the main one.
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    I could not give a boll...about the Delaney's love childs,The sooner our sport is taken back from these greedy fuck.. the better,400,000 euro's to be the head boy in the FAI. You could not make it up.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Feel sorry for Trap because of his forst 4 years, even the Euro's, ok we didn't put up the 'fight' we all wanted. But Spain, Italy and Croatia are class and MILES ahead of us. No shame losing to them.

We need to invest from the ground up and maybe in 20 years we can have skilled players who can play proper football.

FAI cancelled Traps press conference, can only really mean one thing.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathfarnham_Saint View Post
    Who said play Wilson and Walters?

In fairness to Trap (and I'm no fan of him) some of the players people were going mad to get in the team never really worked out, McClean being the main one.
    There were plenty calling for Wilson's inclusion. He was a solid performer in the EPL for a few years and he was ignored despite LB being a problem area. Poor clearance last night for the Austria goal and a couple of wild shots before and after, but generally we've looked less ropey with him in the team. He's a defender by trade which is enough to make him an improvement on Kilbane and Ward who were both liabilities.

The same goes for the other players who were given greater roles this campaign: by and large they are improvements on what went before, although we've missed Given and Duff at times. Is Seamus Coleman a better full back than O'Shea? Yes. McCarthy better than Andrews? McClean better than Cox, our first-choice left-winger in the Euros? Long better than Doyle?

If people have been dissappointed by McClean in particular they can't have watch him much at club level. His game is almost identical to Stephen Hunt. He is what he is.

To cut Trap some slack for players not living up to supposed expectations misses the point that management is not simply about picking what xi players will start. Unless there's a radical change in the way other teams play, we'll always be pissing against the wind with 4-4-2. James McCarthy in particular would benefit hugely from having two other midfielders beside him, even if one of them was Paul Green. The full backs would have twice as many options when in possession (like Bermo and GOB do), and we wouldn't be overrun in the most vital areas of the pitch like we have been for almost every game in the last half a decade. Players understanding instructions would help, players being treated with respect would help, the country and the league being treated with respect would also help. Trap's done untold damage to Irish football.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    It's time he went but he took us to our first euros in 24 years. There is no way his time can be considered a failure.

Can anybody come up with a reasonable replacement. Haven't heard one viable suggestion bar O'Neill who I am against.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    It's time he went but he took us to our first euros in 24 years. There is no way his time can be considered a failure.

Can anybody come up with a reasonable replacement. Haven't heard one viable suggestion bar O'Neill who I am against.
    Who'd want the job?

We're picking from a very small pool.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Who'd want the job?

We're picking from a very small pool.
    Agreed,

Trap gone btw

Thanks
    Traps gone now anyway
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    I hear it's Phil Brown's job if he wants it.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Alex Fergurson - Never really cut it at international level but who knows he could do a job here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    We need a flip flopper. Someone who will pander to the hysterical screams of the great unwashed for the sake of popularity at the bar stool on match night. Somebody who will play players against his better judgment because the media want him to. Somebody who will bring players into training camps and realise the player doesn't suit his system but play him because people seen him on match of the day and think hes deadly. Unfortunately this is the complete opposite of what every good manager is. We need a media tart with no substance. Do mourhino, Pep, fregie, del bosque etc pander to the media and mob? Do they bollix.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Its a pity that Donkey Delaney and his lackeys on the FAI board don't go to,some hope.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    We need a flip flopper. Someone who will pander to the hysterical screams of the great unwashed for the sake of popularity at the bar stool on match night. Somebody who will play players against his better judgment because the media want him to. Somebody who will bring players into training camps and realise the player doesn't suit his system but play him because people seen him on match of the day and think hes deadly. Unfortunately this is the complete opposite of what every good manager is. We need a media tart with no substance. Do mourhino, Pep, fregie, del bosque etc pander to the media and mob? Do they bollix.

So what's your point? Give Trap and Tardelli another two years because of the "great job, not good job, great job" that they've done?

And for what it's worth del Bosque most definitely does pander to the media. Not that that's a good thing.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Can we not just support the English national team and be done with it?

Solve all of our league and national team problems.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kdjac For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread