+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 1287

Thread: The Ireland national team thread

  1. #901
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Coleman's after going off injured tonight.

  2. #902
    Packie Lynch
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 132 Times in 74 Posts
    Good to see Jeff Hendrick in there , haven't seen much of Richard Keogh who is also with Derby.
    Never relegated

  3. #903
    Noel Campbell harry potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cherry Orchard
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks
    598
    Thanked 534 Times in 258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtankthreat View Post
    I heard Jeff Stelling making some terrible fish related puns recently on Soccer Saturday as Sammon has been at least playing recently. Has Hunt made an appearance lately?
    My brother said Sammon was in the squad I thought he was codding me! Two Millwall players in there too

  4. #904
    Administrator Slavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Praha, CZ
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Starting XI for Poland match:


    Forde

    McShane - O'Shea - Clark - Cunningham

    Brady - Whelan - McCarthy - McLean

    Sammon - Long

  5. #905
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,109
    Thanks
    491
    Thanked 687 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Starting XI for Poland match:


    Forde

    McShane - O'Shea - Clark - Cunningham

    Brady - Whelan - McCarthy - McLean

    Sammon - Long
    Glad to see Cunningham, McCarthy, McClean, Brady and Long getting a shot.

    otherwise - meh.

    Shame Wilson is injo'd

    Wouldve started Pilkington ahead of Sammon (is walters injo'?)

  6. #906
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    That's an awful back four. He's right to play them to prove to people these guys aint all that but jaysus!
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  7. #907
    Packie Lynch
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 132 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    That's an awful back four. He's right to play them to prove to people these guys aint all that but jaysus!
    What the alternative back 4 though ? Dunne is injured , Clark is playing first team prem football (albeit terribly) and O'Shea is always going to get in somewhere.
    Never relegated

  8. #908
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppo254 View Post
    What the alternative back 4 though ? Dunne is injured , Clark is playing first team prem football (albeit terribly) and O'Shea is always going to get in somewhere.
    I didn't say there was an alternative. I said it was shite.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  9. #909
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,867
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    I didn't say there was an alternative. I said it was shite.
    Steven Reid, Joey O'Brien and Ian Harte spring to mind. None have age going for them, but if that a reason to not pick them, why isn't Shane Duffy in the squad?

  10. #910
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Steven Reid, Joey O'Brien and Ian Harte spring to mind. None have age going for them, but if that a reason to not pick them, why isn't Shane Duffy in the squad?
    Duffy is still a boy and hardly getting a look in at everton but I'm sure his chance will come. O Brien was injured recently. (maybe even when the squad was announced) Reid retired 2 years ago and Harte was shite 10 years ago so I doubt he's improved.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  11. #911
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,867
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Duffy is still a boy and hardly getting a look in at everton but I'm sure his chance will come. O Brien was injured recently. (maybe even when the squad was announced) Reid retired 2 years ago and Harte was shite 10 years ago so I doubt he's improved.
    The point is: there are alternatives. Duffy has played very little football, but he was in a couple of squads and only good things were said about him. Yet, Keogh gets called up from nowhere (not judging the guy; don't think I've seen him), and the likes of McShane and O'Dea are virtual shoe-ins when it comes to competetive squads despite doing nothing to suggest they're anywhere good enough or, as opposed to Duffy, having anything to offer in the long term.

    Harte divides opinion, not necessarily down the line, but still. Personally, I'd have him in there for a game like this, although I am looking forward to see how Cunningham does.

    Pretty sure Reid has spoken about coming out of retirement but was dismissed by Trap or Tardelli.

  12. #912
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    The point is: there are alternatives. Duffy has played very little football, but he was in a couple of squads and only good things were said about him. Yet, Keogh gets called up from nowhere (not judging the guy; don't think I've seen him), and the likes of McShane and O'Dea are virtual shoe-ins when it comes to competetive squads despite doing nothing to suggest they're anywhere good enough or, as opposed to Duffy, having anything to offer in the long term.

    Harte divides opinion, not necessarily down the line, but still. Personally, I'd have him in there for a game like this, although I am looking forward to see how Cunningham does.

    Pretty sure Reid has spoken about coming out of retirement but was dismissed by Trap or Tardelli.
    Don't think you'd be happy whatever he does tbh.

    You threw out 4 names, one has hardly played a snr game, One is retired, one was injured when the squad was announced and the other is, well, appalling. And I say that as a Leeds fan who watched him in the flesh at least once a month for 5/6 years. If anything needs changing its the system, The players almost to a man are not proper international standard.

    We had one player play in the champions league last year.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  13. #913
    New Signing
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Don't think you'd be happy whatever he does tbh.

    You threw out 4 names, one has hardly played a snr game, One is retired, one was injured when the squad was announced and the other is, well, appalling. And I say that as a Leeds fan who watched him in the flesh at least once a month for 5/6 years. If anything needs changing its the system, The players almost to a man are not proper international standard.

    We had one player play in the champions league last year.


    He could have another champions league player but he won't pick him

  14. #914
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,332
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 839 Times in 501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by your hero View Post

    He could have another champions league player but he won't pick him
    who is that?
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

  15. #915
    New Signing
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    who is that?
    Stokes, I don't blame him I wouldn't pick him either but he's better than some players who get into squads

  16. #916
    Patrons
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,332
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 839 Times in 501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by your hero View Post
    Stokes, I don't blame him I wouldn't pick him either but he's better than some players who get into squads
    Stokes?? is he still playing football then?

    has he played champions league this year? anytime i watch them they played samaras,hooper and watt
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

  17. #917
    New Signing
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoey View Post
    Stokes?? is he still playing football then?

    has he played champions league this year? anytime i watch them they played samaras,hooper and watt
    Only back from an injury, don't know if he was playing at the start of the season or not

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to your hero For This Useful Post:


  19. #918
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,867
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    Don't think you'd be happy whatever he does tbh.

    You threw out 4 names, one has hardly played a snr game, One is retired, one was injured when the squad was announced and the other is, well, appalling. And I say that as a Leeds fan who watched him in the flesh at least once a month for 5/6 years. If anything needs changing its the system, The players almost to a man are not proper international standard.

    We had one player play in the champions league last year.
    I'm always happy.

    We'll have a squadful of CL players in a few years, what with those upward curves.

  20. #919
    John McDonnell
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanks
    1,488
    Thanked 407 Times in 181 Posts
    Anthony Stokes is fcuking awful. Then again, most of the national squad is though...

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to antomorro For This Useful Post:


  22. #920
    Administrator Slavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Praha, CZ
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    The only people who want Stokes in the team are Celtc fans, some of the stuff they come out with on FB when Ireland squads are announced are embarrassing, he had his chance, he threw it away, plus, the guy is seriously fooking shite

  23. #921
    John McDonnell
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked 450 Times in 207 Posts
    It doesnt matter what team Trap puts out none of them are good enough to beat the Polish. they will walk us imo. I have no interest in the Irish National Team anymore and dont really care how we do. shows you how much the current squad has had an effect on people in this country

  24. #922
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,902
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    It doesnt matter what team Trap puts out none of them are good enough to beat the Polish. they will walk us imo. I have no interest in the Irish National Team anymore and dont really care how we do. shows you how much the current squad has had an effect on people in this country
    Pretty much the attitude that has our league in shite. 'its crap so I won't support it'

    Our attitude to supporting our sports stars in this country is shocking.

    Not a pop at you btw, more a general thing

  25. #923
    Mbabazi AlanMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    InchiInchiInchicore
    Posts
    2,790
    Thanks
    246
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Pretty much the attitude that has our league in shite. 'its crap so I won't support it'

    Our attitude to supporting our sports stars in this country is shocking.

    Not a pop at you btw, more a general thing
    Up The Ra!
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:


  27. #924
    Administrator Slavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Praha, CZ
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    It doesnt matter what team Trap puts out none of them are good enough to beat the Polish. they will walk us imo.


    I think you are seriously over-rating Poland

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Slavia For This Useful Post:


  29. #925
    Mbabazi danthesaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    At the bar in McDowell's
    Posts
    2,881
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 808 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    I think you are seriously over-rating Poland
    or he thinks a shit polish team will beat a shittier ireland team :P
    Last edited by danthesaint; 6th February 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

  30. #926
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11,408
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked 5,842 Times in 2,609 Posts
    Or he has seen Poland play 3/4 times in the past 4 years like most of us and he's just guessing. Doesn't realy matter though

    For the record Stokes and Harte shouldn't be near any Ireland squads. What could you possibly gain from playing a 35 year old in a friendly? Stokes is a fruitcake. He's nowhere near as good as Doyle or Long. Is he better than Sammon? maybe, but at least Sammon is being given a shot. Up to him to ake the chance that Stokes spurned "oooh I'm tired..."

    I'm on record as saying Trap is finished but happy to see new faces in the squad
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

  31. #927
    Noel Campbell
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks
    288
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 484 Posts
    Poland half time/full time is a great bet at 4/1. There 2/1 just to win

  32. #928
    Super Moderator Jimdagym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Balbriggan
    Posts
    4,052
    Thanks
    471
    Thanked 956 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Poland half time/full time is a great bet at 4/1. There 2/1 just to win
    In to 17/10 now for 90 mins.
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling.

  33. #929
    Paul McGrath
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,867
    Thanks
    507
    Thanked 809 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Or he has seen Poland play 3/4 times in the past 4 years like most of us and he's just guessing. Doesn't realy matter though

    For the record Stokes and Harte shouldn't be near any Ireland squads. What could you possibly gain from playing a 35 year old in a friendly? Stokes is a fruitcake. He's nowhere near as good as Doyle or Long. Is he better than Sammon? maybe, but at least Sammon is being given a shot. Up to him to ake the chance that Stokes spurned "oooh I'm tired..."

    I'm on record as saying Trap is finished but happy to see new faces in the squad
    Totally redundant ruling players out of contention and then complaining about the lack of depth or options.

    As it goes, I agree Stokes is nowhere near the level of Long or Doyle, and I think Walters is probably our best all-round forward, but he's still young enough to make some sort of contribution to the national team in his career.

    If Harte's better than our other options, his age shouldn't come into the equation. Plenty don't rate him; I do. Stephen Ward and Kevin Kilbane have been Trap's left fulls and I'd never fault either of those two for effort but they were both massive liabilities. It's still a problem area, and I'd have liked to see Harte given a run out tonight to see how he got on. Having said that, Cunningham as a bona fide left full - as opposed to not only Ward and Kilbane, but the RBs and CBs who have been played there - represents a step up for me.

  34. #930
    Administrator Slavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Praha, CZ
    Posts
    4,552
    Thanks
    805
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    U21's are 3-0 up on Holland with 10 minutes left, they've improved greatly under Noel King

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts