+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ireland national team thread

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thats it- people conveniently forget that our team is made up of average-poor players.

in 1998/1990/1994 we had a team made up largely of players from the top 4 in England (Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Utd) - this team had 1 player who played champions league football this season (McGeady) and our highest ranked premier league players were at the team who came 13th.

The croats had a team made up of players at the top end of league in eastern europe, germany (+ the likes of Corluka from spurs and Jelovic from Everton)

We play a style that has got us many good results, not pretty and very frustrating - BUT if we were to go toe to toe with most other international sides we would be ripped to shreds. We have a very very poor international team and to be honest its a disappoint that we dont seem to have world class players coming through the 21's (maybe your man at chelsea) who can drive the average players to hgiher levels.

we are technically poor and even the likes of hoolihan, Ireland and Reid are a far far cry from the technical ability of most european and eastern teams.

Having said that- the goals conceded yesterday were so so poor and the croats were bricking themselves every set piece we got. We got the luck in Russia, but not yesterday.

Draw v the Spanish, Beat the Italians and hope the spanish and italians beat the croats....and were home and dry to the quarters........whazzah!

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    The croats had a team made up of players at the top end of league in eastern europe, germany (+ the likes of Corluka from spurs and Jelovic from Everton)
    Greece still managed to take 4 points off them in the qualifiers and they didn't look up to much on Friday.

Corluka couldn't get near the Spurs team last year and he was farmed out on loan in January.

Jelavic does play for Everton. That's correct. The same team as Darron Gibson, Seamus Coleman and Shane Duffy...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    We should have pushed on after we scored, we didnt and got punished.

Patrons
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=oleguer presas i renom;88733]Greece still managed to take 4 points off them in the qualifiers and they didn't look up to much on Friday.

Corluka couldn't get near the Spurs team last year and he was farmed out on loan in January.

Jelavic does play for Everton. That's correct. The same team as Darron Gibson, Seamus Coleman and Shane Duffy...[/QUOTE]

Not in the squad - Jelavic scored a bucketload since January (and before it) - but I agree its a little disingenuous to rank players on where they play football

Most of Greeces squad play CL every season - ours dont

I guess my point it form- players playing well in a good team carry form, players doing ok in a struggling team (as most our team are) dont. having siad that- teh croats arent as good as we are all making them out- if the luck had been 50/50 the result wouldnt have been different (OG, Offside/second goal & penalty decision) - other than that there werent too many monets where the Croats had me shtting it because of the pressure they had us under.

Thanks
    Alot of people where surprised by how we played. We have played like that since Trap took over. There have been a few times we played but overall have been poor going fowardand have got away with it except when we where punished by the Russians in Dublin and against Croatia.

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    People complain that a country the size of Croatia can produce players like Modric etc and we can't however they forget the countries history.Croatia formerly part of Austia-Hungary and Yugoslavia benefited hugely from the coaching advances made during those periods (and within those nations)

Its location so close to the Med and Slovak nations mean players have a choice of leagues to play for as well as a variety of coaching methods and cultural influences.

We on the other other hand are massively influenced by the UK and the coaching methods there which are often see as outdated and less technical.

Its more than population size........
    Never relegated

Patrons
    Thanks
    In fairness, Austria-Hungary broke up in 1918. Tactics have moved on since then...

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    In fairness, Austria-Hungary broke up in 1918. Tactics have moved on since then...
    There's something to be said for the old 2-3-5 formation. Seemed like Poland were playing that at times last ñight.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Hoppo254 is dead right. We have a different way of football education to most of Europe ...... and it shows. We have any amount of UEFA B badges here nowadays but very little has been produced here in the last 15 years. These badges like to pontificate but completely overlook the basics as we can clearly see in our national side in Poland at the moment. Chris Forrester (arguably Pats most skillful player) didn't start playing 'organised' football until he was around 15 or so. So where did he learn then? I presume he learned somewhere there was no pressure on him - no badges - no win at all costs. Or maybe we know something the Europeans don't............

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Hoppo254 is dead right. We have a different way of football education to most of Europe ...... and it shows. We have any amount of UEFA B badges here nowadays but very little has been produced here in the last 15 years. These badges like to pontificate but completely overlook the basics as we can clearly see in our national side in Poland at the moment. Chris Forrester (arguably Pats most skillful player) didn't start playing 'organised' football until he was around 15 or so. So where did he learn then? I presume he learned somewhere there was no pressure on him - no badges - no win at all costs. Or maybe we know something the Europeans don't............
    Spot on. When we have under 8 kids competing in leagues we are pissing against the breeze.
    progress is being made but its slow and not being adapted by the dinosaurs running the leagues around the country with the odd exception

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Portuguese officials tomorrow

Referee was in charge of Champions League final a few weeks ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Proen%C3%A7a

Patrons
    Thanks
    i think an italy win tomorrow would be best for us, its the only result that if we managed to get a draw of spain then we can qualify by beating italy. COME ON ITALY
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    I agree with your point but just on the Forrester thing, it's a total myth he played for a good few teams before he was 15
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Dave Henderson
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppo254 View Post
    People complain that a country the size of Croatia can produce players like Modric etc and we can't however they forget the countries history.Croatia formerly part of Austia-Hungary and Yugoslavia benefited hugely from the coaching advances made during those periods (and within those nations)

Its location so close to the Med and Slovak nations mean players have a choice of leagues to play for as well as a variety of coaching methods and cultural influences.

We on the other other hand are massively influenced by the UK and the coaching methods there which are often see as outdated and less technical.

Its more than population size........
    Agree, but size does matter when it comes to scoring!!!!

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    Do you think the thinking , methods and information just upped and left ?

Its the basis , the establishment of culture and idea's. Just as former soviet nations and those bordering Russia benefit in the same way.
    Never relegated

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Right, so is there anyone on here NOT fearing we could be absolutely humiliated tonight? I reckon our centre halves would sooner have a Lllorente or Negredo to mark rather than have Fabregas drifting where he likes and popping up late in the box. Lose an early goal and we'll be in for a long, long night.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Am absolutely dreading it tbh

Thanks
    We never get hammered and Spain never hammer anyone

We Defo won't get hammered. Fancy us more tonight than I did against Croatia.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post

We've been hammered in every department but the scoreline many times; Spain have hammered teams in every department but the scorline many times. Tonight could be the perfect storm.

Or we could produce another Paris.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts

Define 'hammered' though. I'd call getting beaten by 3 goals and barely getting a kick of the ball a humiliation, I can easily see that happening. They'll probably have 70% of the possession, if so we'll be out on our feet in the last 20 minutes from chasing shadows all night, could see them picking us off then.

Thanks
    Fuck departments, its all about the scoreline.

We need the little things to go for us. Against Croatia we got no luck and we aren't good enough to play a superior team and get no luck. We get the rubs tonight and we'll get something

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 625 Posts
    Sky sports news reporting that Simon cox will start up front wit keane
    Another strange one

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Fuck departments, its all about the scoreline.

We need the little things to go for us. Against Croatia we got no luck and we aren't good enough to play a superior team and get no luck. We get the rubs tonight and we'll get something
    You forgot to mention it's a game of two halves...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to oleguer presas i renom For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    its going to be one of those great nights in irelands history i can feel it.

COYBIG
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Another strange one
    if true then trap really is the most stubborn man in the world

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    a hammering is getting beat 5-1 by your local rivals!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -SS' For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Another strange one
    Less strange that putting Cox on the left wing. Bizarra that Cox is ahead of his club mate Shane Long, never mind Walters
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Whatever about the formation or style I cannot understand the omission of Long so far.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyRotten View Post
    Whatever about the formation or style I cannot understand the omission of Long so far.
    It's an accumulation of everything for me.

Long's exclusion is only the latest example. But that's what happens when you have a manager of the national teAm who never attends games.

Thanks
    Or one who got us to our first euros in 24 years

Glass is half full for me.

+ Reply to Thread