+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Presidential election

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    todays daily mail.

The were meeting with morgan all last week with a view to running the story in the mail on sunday. Then they met with morgan a few times to get the proof of his claims (letters, bank statements etc) and his story disintigrated
    Interesting that nobody has picked up on the mail story and reported it. Even if the other papers don't you would normally expect politics.ie or the thejournal.ie or one of them to pick up on it if they think its relevant.

I think the damage is done already however but even at that I'd expect Gallagher to poll very well and he could still well win it.

It will be interesting to see the international reaction if he does.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    Interesting that nobody has picked up on the mail story and reported it. Even if the other papers don't you would normally expect politics.ie or the thejournal.ie or one of them to pick up on it if they think its relevant.

I think the damage is done already however but even at that I'd expect Gallagher to poll very well and he could still well win it.

It will be interesting to see the international reaction if he does.
    yeah think the whole thing could have done for him alright. I'd rather he had fallen on something a bit more substantial though. And it galls me that the man who has lied most throughout the campaign has brought him down (MMG).

In saying that MDH should he win, will do a very good job and is extremely likeable which, lets be honest is the main trait a president needs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    todays daily mail.

The were meeting with morgan all last week with a view to running the story in the mail on sunday. Then they met with morgan a few times to get the proof of his claims (letters, bank statements etc) and his story disintigrated
    Your man Fionnan thats on Vincent Browne's show said he was aware of it for a week or two and was looking into it too. Obviously they've to be tighter with facts than McGuinness

As above, still think the election will be close, with gallagher maybe topping the poll and Higgins winning on transfers

Won't be backing Higgins at odds on anyway

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Your man Fionnan thats on Vincent Browne's show said he was aware of it for a week or two and was looking into it too. Obviously they've to be tighter with facts than McGuinness

As above, still think the election will be close, with gallagher maybe topping the poll and Higgins winning on transfers

Won't be backing Higgins at odds on anyway
    Nope - Gallagher offers better value at 13/8 imo. For the soft votes he has lost he'll pick up some anti SF votes that were going to other candidates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    EDIT; link was for yesterday's show

Your man batters gallagher on this LMFM interview

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    To be fair PS, you cannot say mcguinness'ess history is not relevant. It's perfectly fine if it's not relevant to you. We all have a vote and the freedom to decide that for ourselves. Isn't that what everyone died for?
    Well I didn't say ANYWHERE that his history is irrelevent. I said his role within Óglaigh na hÉireann was irrelevent. The 1st one is saying people shouldn't be told about his past and deny it (which I didn't say) and the 2nd is saying yes, he was a Volunteer, but it doesn't matter if he was the one to pull the trigger or plant the bomb or the higher ranking member telling him to do it (which I did say). What rank he was in Óglaigh na hÉireann is irrelevent. He's admitted he was in it, trying to pick out what rank he was at this stage is futile.
    But what people should do is to ask why? Why did he join Óglaigh na hÉireann? People should put themselves in his shoes, were you are treated like a 2nd class citizen, you get searched by a foreign army just because they can, you can't get a house, you can't get a vote, your house can be searched at will, you can be thrown in prison for ANY length of time because you 'might' be a member of the IRA, people in your own City are murdered on the streets in peaceful marches, triumphalist marches go past your street and you have no right to stop it.

And before someone says, 'well we don't have to think like that cos it's not like down here', you should. Because it's because of people like Martin McGuinness that OUR people have all the rights he hadn't got growing up. He acted so the young generation up there didn't have to. It's what happened down here. People like to seperate the 'Old IRA' and the Provos. Learn your history. IRA members killed British agents in front of their wives and children. Were they not the same? Horrible things happen in war. No one comes out of it well. It's because a few take a stance, at their own peril, that the rest of us don't have to. Were the 7 signatories not mocked and riddiculed? Were the painted as 'terrorists' and 'not speaking for the Irish people'. Sounds familiar.

People in this country should be ashamed of themselves by distancing themselves from the rest of the Irish on this island. By the luck of where you were born shouldn't deminish peoples view of the rest.

And you're right, you have the right to choose, as I said, make an informed decision. But for the 'radical terrorists' of 1916 you wouldn't be able to vote, much like the Nationalist people in the North without the like of Martin McGuinness. He is their Pearse, Connolly or Clarke.

So vote for who you will, as you say it's your right, but don't forget the history of where you got that vote, whether you vote for Martin or not. It drives me mad people throwing out 'murderer' or 'terrorist' when it comes to the IRA (not that you did btw). Ungrateful fuckers. If it wasn't for murderers your lives would be VERY different.

Oops, bit of a rant!! Awwwwwwwwwwww that's better!!
    Last edited by Palmerstown Saint; 26th October 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Palmerstown Saint For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/vo...log/53f8c00165

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1028/vote_tracker.html

You can follow the tallies and votes there. Very indications are that Higgins is way ahead on first preferences (most analysts thought Gallagher might be ahead here, with Higgins winning on transfers).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Listening to Newstalk going around the different counting venues it sounds like Higgins has it wrapped up already

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Mcguiness second in Dublin North west and Gallagher only got half of Mickey D's amount. interesting
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 546 Posts
    Looks like the only area where Mitchell got a half decent vote (12%) is Dublin South Central - the Inchicore factor

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    WE will have a great President.O the peoples flag is deepest red.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    congrats to sinn fein on winning the presidential election 2011.....for labour

Thanks
    congrats to sinn fein on winning the presidential election 2011.....for labour
    Congrats to Sinn Féin for stopping an envelope receiving Fianna Fáil crook with a very shady business past from getting in. We should be kissing Martin's feet for at least stopping Gallagher. Did the Irish Nation a HUGE favour. Bravo. And Sinn Féin won't mind Michael D getting in, he's from the same gene pool.

Absolute master stroke on Frontline. Deserves a lot of credit for saving us from Gallagher.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Palmerstown Saint For This Useful Post:

New Signing
    Thanks
    It takes a thief to catch a thief.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB1 View Post
    It takes a thief to catch a thief.
    Explain? To my knowledge, Martin McGuinness has never been charged with robbery, I'm open to being corrected on that, but can you put up your source please of where Martin McGuinness has been charged for being a 'thief' as you put it.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmerstown Saint View Post
    Explain? To my knowledge, Martin McGuinness has never been charged with robbery, I'm open to being corrected on that, but can you put up your source please of where Martin McGuinness has been charged for being a 'thief' as you put it.
    He stole people's lives. The bollox.

Administrator
    Thanks
    He;s never been charged with being a peace maker either but you're happy to have hi called that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He;s never been charged with being a peace maker either but you're happy to have hi called that
    When did I say he was a peacemaker? Or even agree with the term? I'd like a quote please......

And btw, he may be many things to many different people, 'murderer', an 'IRA member' 'Freedom Fighter', but not even the Unionists call him a thief. Beggars belief some peoples ignorance.
    Last edited by Palmerstown Saint; 29th October 2011 at 04:17 PM.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

Administrator
    Thanks
    relax, ffs, he can call him a theif as much as helikes. Hilarious that you think calling him a murderer is grand, but you're upset about him calling him a thief.

Patrons
    Thanks
    When did I say he was a peacemaker? Or even agree with the term? I'd like a quote please......
    And btw, he may be many things to many different people, 'murderer', an 'IRA member' 'Freedom Fighter', but not even the Unionists call him a thief. Beggars belief some peoples ignorance.
    Where do you think his IRA got the money to run their war?

No problem with mcguinnesses actions in relation to the warip north- but his failure to condemn the murders of Catholics, stand by thugs and criminals and the transition of the IRA from freedom fighters to criminals all happened while he was very much involved (despite his claims otherwise)

Glad Gallagher did t get it- made if the same schleeveen blood as the last bunch.

MDH will do a grand job.

Thanks

Wink

...........whether you vote for Martin or not. It drives me mad people throwing out 'murderer' or 'terrorist' when it comes to the IRA (not that you did btw). Ungrateful fuckers. If it wasn't for murderers your lives would be VERY different.
    Again you're making things up Dodge. Where did I say I was 'grand' with him being called a murderer. Again, quote me saying I was grand with it. And you need to relax yourself man, it's not my fault you're mis-quoting me and making up your own story on my views.

If you read back on them you'll know them. I'll accept your apology anytime you like........
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

New Signing
    Thanks
    It takes a thief to catch a thief is a turn of phrase not a literal statement ie it takes someone with a shady past to reveal someone with a shady past.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DAB1 View Post
    It takes a thief to catch a thief is a turn of phrase not a literal statement ie it takes someone with a shady past to reveal someone with a shady past.
    Right, I was taking you literally. Just as long as that's that cleared up.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Where do you think his IRA got the money to run their war?

No problem with mcguinnesses actions in relation to the warip north- but his failure to condemn the murders of Catholics, stand by thugs and criminals and the transition of the IRA from freedom fighters to criminals all happened while he was very much involved (despite his claims otherwise).

Glad Gallagher did t get it- made if the same schleeveen blood as the last bunch.

MDH will do a grand job.
    For what it's worth, I also think MDH will be a fantastic President. The IRA had many ways getting money, a lot came in from the States through Noraid and many other sources including foreign governments. Ha and I think with hindsight I don't think anyone would be too sympathetic with the banks. But again, he was never charged with anything, but we've already established that it wasn't a literal meaning.

On the deaths of Catholics at the hands of Óglaigh na hÉireann, being Catholic has nothing to do with it. If you're an informer for example, being Catholic has nothing to do with it. Religion has nothing to do with it, sure Wolfe Tone was Protestant. Don't get me wrong, certain deaths were wrong, I'm not naive enough to think that 'wrongs' don't happen in war. But have the British apologised for each of the 'wrong' deaths that they committed? Nope, don't think so. They didn't even call the MURDERS of Bloody Sunday murder!! So it works both ways. Too much listening to British propaganda.
    Last edited by Palmerstown Saint; 29th October 2011 at 08:04 PM.
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Anybody else looking forward to seiphils view on all this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Robbie View Post
    Anybody else looking forward to seiphils view on all this?
    It's about time palmerstown saint made a stand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    It's about time palmerstown saint made a stand.
    Must have been up all night thinking of that one...........
    19 NEVER RELEGATED 29

Thanks
    quality of humour around here lately has hit the deck.
    One love *** One club

Dave Henderson
    Thanks
    P.S wrote
    And you're right, you have the right to choose, as I said, make an informed decision. But for the 'radical terrorists' of 1916 you wouldn't be able to vote, much like the Nationalist people in the North without the like of Martin McGuinness. He is their Pearse, Connolly or Clarke.

I think you're stretching it a bit there, P.S

McGuinness may be a hero in some parts of Ireland but he was never going to be elected president of Ireland. As for "outing" Gallagher(who I don't believe would have won anyway) It's a pity who ever phoned him wasn't in a position to give him the names of the people that killed Garda Kelly.
    IMO Sinn Fein contribute precious little to politics in the South. They are in the ideal position that allows them oppose every unpopular decision the government make because they know they will never have to make a real decision on how the country should be run. Their election posters generally say "if elected we won't do this, that or the other" Knowing quite well they won't be elected to government.

+ Reply to Thread