Thanks
    do you blame pete mahon on attendances? thats a silly statement
    One love *** One club

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom the gom View Post
    do you blame pete mahon on attendances? thats a silly statement
    No it's not.

Friendlies used to sell out, nevermind qualifiers. The reason: we were watchable.

I doubt anyone who attended Lansdowne for the first time 'v' Slovakia will ever return.

Thanks
    theres a serious lack of initiatives and the pricing structures have screwed up attendances, fact.

not all friendlies sold out, and even back in landsdowne in the noughties there was some shite attendances. people really just dont have the money to go to the games anymore, myself included! i used to pay 20quid a ticket for north terrace, cant get that anymore.
    One love *** One club

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom the gom View Post
    theres a serious lack of initiatives and the pricing structures have screwed up attendances, fact.

not all friendlies sold out, and even back in landsdowne in the noughties there was some shite attendances. people really just dont have the money to go to the games anymore, myself included! i used to pay 20quid a ticket for north terrace, cant get that anymore.
    Friendlies were always well north of 30k.

I don't dispute money is a factor for individuals, but there enough people in this who have been relatively untouched by the economic meltdown to attend games if they wanted to. Witness rubgy and GAA attendances. They've held out. It's not as if home internationals are every other week. There's no more than a handful in a calender year. Trap's Neanderthal football is a people repellent. If it could be bottled psychiatrists would administer it to sociopaths.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Friendlies used to sell out, nevermind qualifiers. The reason: we were watchable.

The real reason: People could afford them and won't pay 50 or 70 odd quid for a friendly against Norway, never mind a competitive game against Andorra.

We were farfrom watchable under Jack Charlton btw, yet matches sold out then

Thanks
    6:45pm kick off tonight, just a reminder

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    The real reason: People could afford them and won't pay 50 or 70 odd quid for a friendly against Norway, never mind a competitive game against Andorra.

We were farfrom watchable under Jack Charlton btw, yet matches sold out then
    Slavia, every sport has been hit by the recession. The FAI's pricing structure is in line with other sports and events. Croker still draws the crowds. As does the Aviva for 6 Nations or friendlies. Concerts still sell out. The economic argument can only be used if it applies eleswhere too, and it doesn't.

Granted, we played hoofball under Jack but it was attacking hoofball. There was a cavalier attitude Jack instilled in his teams that was very attractive to watch.

Thanks
    Slavia, every sport has been hit by the recession. The FAI's pricing structure is in line with other sports and events. Croker still draws the crowds. As does the Aviva for 6 Nations or friendlies. Concerts still sell out. The economic argument can only be used if it applies eleswhere too, and it doesn't.

Granted, we played hoofball under Jack but it was attacking hoofball. There was a cavalier attitude Jack instilled in his teams that was very attractive to watch.

We'll agree to disagree so. Our rugby team only plays games against the best teams in the world and prety much attracts a different type of supporter. Concerts aren't the best example either considering a singer/band might come to Ireland once every 3-5 years and play in smaller venues. And IMO the football under Charlton was poxy, easily as bad as Trap, and Charlton had FAR FAR better players

Game just about sold out tonight apparently

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slavia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We'll agree to disagree so. Our rugby team only plays games against the best teams in the world and prety much attracts a different type of supporter. Concerts aren't the best example either considering a singer/band might come to Ireland once every 3-5 years and play in smaller venues. And IMO the football under Charlton was poxy, easily as bad as Trap, and Charlton had FAR FAR better players

Wow, surprised. Great to see though.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks

The rugby team plays against the same opposition time and again. Italy and Scotland are both very poor sides. Wales have had their bleak patches too in the recent past. The games still sell out. It's well known that rugby supporters tend to come from a different socio-economic background than football fans, but what about GAA foloowers? GAA attendences are stable.

We qualified for 2 World Cups and a European Championship with Jack. I'd question whether he had better players at his disposal. Given is better than Packie for starters.Dunne is the best centre-half we've had. Stan used to play left-wing because we had no alternative. We're blessed with wide players nowadays. Quinn was crocked during the Charlton. Keane is the best CF we've had, and I'd suggest Long and Doyle are a match for Aldo and Cas, neither of whom really did themselves justice in a green shirt. Only the fullbacks and centre mids were a major improvement on what we have now.

Thanks
    Dunne is the best centre-half we've had.

He's quality, but not even close to McGrath. Moran, O'Leary & McCarthy would be similar enough to Dunne too

On the wings Charlton also had Sheedy and Houghton, and Tony Galvin for a while too, excellent players at the time

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    We're blessed with wide players nowadays
    Duff's alright. On a slide but he's OK.

mcgeady, lawrence and Hunt are all shite though, and nowehre near as good as the likes of Houghton from those teams.

Dunne' wouldn't get head of Moran, McCarthy or O'leary from the 88 & 80 teams either

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    He's quality, but not even close to McGrath

Moran, O'Leary & McCarthy would be similar enough to Dunne too
    McGrath is my greatest sporting hero. He's better than anyone who will ever play for us again. I don't think of him as a CB at international level,though. Jack pushed him into the middle. Contradictory reasons why he did this, but he did.

Moran did little in an Irish shirt. McCarthy was a great captain but not a patch on Dunne in terms of ability. David O'Leary? You're having a laugh, Slavia.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Duff's alright. On a slide but he's OK.

mcgeady, lawrence and Hunt are all shite though, and nowehre near as good as the likes of Houghton from those teams.

Dunne' wouldn't get head of Moran, McCarthy or O'leary from the 88 & 80 teams either
    The likes of Houghton. Apart from Houghton himself, who are the likes of Houghton?

Seriously can't believe anyone can think Moran, McCArthy or O'Leary are better than Dunne. I think nostalgia is playing tricks with you, Dodge.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The likes of Houghton. Apart from Houghton himself, who are the likes of Houghton?
    Sheedy, Galvin and even McAteer. All 3 of them are far superior to Mcgeady, Hunt, Lawrence and Fahey.

Seriously can't believe anyone can think Moran, McCArthy or O'Leary are better than Dunne. I think nostalgia is playing tricks with you, Dodge.
    Thats fine. I just think you're vastly over rating Dunne when you say he's our best ever. Thats opinions for you

If I was picking a 'Best XI' of ireland 1988 to now, I'd only have Keane, and probably Duff in there from the current set up.

Thanks

If I was picking a 'Best XI' of ireland 1988 to now.

Good idea

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Sheedy, Galvin and even McAteer. All 3 of them are far superior to Mcgeady, Hunt, Lawrence and Fahey.

Thats fine. I just think you're vastly over rating Dunne when you say he's our best ever. Thats opinions for you

If I was picking a 'Best XI' of ireland 1988 to now, I'd only have Keane, and probably Duff in there from the current set up.
    Sheedy and Galvin were ordinary players who attained a certain status by qualifying for tournaments. McAteer's best years were under Mick.

Given is better than Bonner. That should go without saying.

I'm not overrating Dunne. I didn't call him world class. I didn't say he's better than Maldini. I just said he's our best CB. I don't think any other has been more important or put in so many match winning/saving displays.

Best XI since '88, based on international (not club) performances:
    ....................Given........................

Irwin...Cunningham...Dunne...Staunton

..........McGrath.........Keane................
    Houghton....................................Duff
    ...............Keane.........Quinn...............

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    Think the main difference was that Charlton was very well liked by the Irish public. Players like McGrath, Moran,Whelan, Lawerenson, Aldridge, Houghton,Bonner were idolised by many. None of the current squad have personalities anywhere close to the team of 88/90. Regardless of the style of football.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Think the main difference was that Charlton was very well liked by the Irish public. Players like McGrath, Moran,Whelan, Lawerenson, Aldridge, Houghton,Bonner were idolised by many. None of the current squad have personalities anywhere close to the team of 88/90. Regardless of the style of football.
    Did Lawro play for Jack? If he did it was briefńy

Thanks
    Did Lawro play for Jack? If he did it was briefńy
    He did, scored the winner against Scotland in Hampden in the Euro 88 qualifiers, don't think he was in the squad for the tournament itself though

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Pre Celtic Tiger our players were playing fro Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Villa, Juve etc etc (top level european clubs

Celtic Tiger we still ahd quality and people had loads of disposable income

Post Celtic Tiger we do not have a single player on the books of the top 5 english teams (Arselnal, Liverpool, Utd Chelsea, City)

Not a single player in the Champions league

Contra- Irish Rugby stars are among the elite in the world in their (less competitive) sport & the 6 nations is the only competitive games each year (no major qualifiers) - the summer and autums internationals are usually against SH teams who are like friendlies v Brazil/Argentina - except both teams give a shit!

I used to be par tof the group scheme- went for 8 years buying tickets before we moved to croker when ticket prices went from €25-35 each to €55-€85 each - I said fuck that.

from 2006-2011 the standard dropped and costs soared - thats why I dont go anymore.

got freebies for tonight so looking forward to it!

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Pre Celtic Tiger our players were playing fro Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Villa, Juve etc etc (top level european clubs

Celtic Tiger we still ahd quality and people had loads of disposable income

Post Celtic Tiger we do not have a single player on the books of the top 5 english teams (Arselnal, Liverpool, Utd Chelsea, City)

Not a single player in the Champions league

Contra- Irish Rugby stars are among the elite in the world in their (less competitive) sport & the 6 nations is the only competitive games each year (no major qualifiers) - the summer and autums internationals are usually against SH teams who are like friendlies v Brazil/Argentina - except both teams give a shit!

I used to be par tof the group scheme- went for 8 years buying tickets before we moved to croker when ticket prices went from €25-35 each to €55-€85 each - I said fuck that.

from 2006-2011 the standard dropped and costs soared - thats why I dont go anymore.

got freebies for tonight so looking forward to it!
    Caolan, pre-Celtic Tiger, Liverpool, Arsenal, Utd were not top European clubs. The European ban was in place and as was proven when it was lifted, the English clubs had gone into decline.

Not that any are regulars for club or country but Gibson and Brady are at Utd, Cunningham is at City, and Clifford is on Chelsea's books.

The reason you don't go is anecdotal and I don't doubt there are many others who don't go for the same reason. Two facts remain, though. One, this hasn't been a problem for the GAA, IRFU or concert promoters. Two, there are people who do still have disposable income but simply choose not to spend it on a trip to the Aviva. Even Delaney admitted as much a couple of weeks when he said the style of play was a factor in the declining atttendances.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Pre Celtic Tiger.... Celtic Tiger... Post Celtic Tiger...
    its nothing to do with Cletic Tiger, and a lot to do with Bosman

Standard of Irish player hasn't dropped significantly, there's just less job offers at the top English clubs as they look further afield.

And even then most of our squad played for the mid ranking top tier teams down.

Administrator
    Thanks
    . One, this hasn't been a problem for the GAA, IRFU or concert promoters
    Price absolutely was a prioblem for the IRFU when less than 25,000 turned up to see them face the World Champion South Africans. They dropped the prices after that disastrous series of friendlies

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesaint View Post
    He did, scored the winner against Scotland in Hampden in the Euro 88 qualifiers, don't think he was in the squad for the tournament itself though
    As big a cunt as he was and is, Lawrenson was the best footballer I've ever seen in an Ireland shirt. Was genuinely the best player in the world in his position for the 5-6 years up to his injury IMO, we've never had another player of whom I'd say that.

Two facts remain, though. One, this hasn't been a problem for the GAA, IRFU or concert promoters.
    Generally steer clear of commenting on the GAA here given the cesspool of ignorance and cluelessness that is this forum on GAA matters but as it has been brought up here, attendances are down 30-40% on what they were 3 or 4 years ago. Dublin were in every Leinster Football Final from 2005-09 and all of them sold out, Croker was almost 40,000 short of capacity for this year's Dublin v Wexford Leinster final. Ulster Finals were switched to Croker and sold out in the early-mid noughties, this year's final didn't fill Clones (capacity 33,000). And that's indicative of the reduction across the board. Attendances were up this year on 2010 but only off the back of huge price reductions and even at that are nowhere near Celtic Tiger era levels when they were no offers around.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    As big a cunt as he was and is, Lawrenson was the best footballer I've ever seen in an Ireland shirt. Was genuinely the best player in the world in his position for the 5-6 years up to his injury IMO, we've never had another player of whom I'd say that.

Generally steer clear of commenting on the GAA here given the cesspool of ignorance and cluelessness that is this forum on GAA matters but as it has been brought up here, attendances are down 30-40% on what they were 3 or 4 years ago. Dublin were in every Leinster Football Final from 2005-09 and all of them sold out, Croker was almost 40,000 short of capacity for this year's Dublin v Wexford Leinster final. Ulster Finals were switched to Croker and sold out in the early-mid noughties, this year's final didn't fill Clones (capacity 33,000). And that's indicative of the reduction across the board. Attendances were up this year on 2010 but only off the back of huge price reductions and even at that are nowhere near Celtic Tiger era levels when they were no offers around.
    Just to add to this the Hurling final didnt sell out this year was about a thousand short of capacity for what was seen as one of the biggest hurling matches ever. Also there was a good few stories down in Kilkenny about tickets been sent back and how easily available they were plus the usual stories about how they started to let people in for free near the start time.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Irish people just like watching sport on the TV. Pure laziness.

Thanks
    Any of you clever football brains on here know if we're likely to be seeded in the playoffs if we get through?
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    If its done on world rankings we wont be
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Any of you clever football brains on here know if we're likely to be seeded in the playoffs if we get through?

possibly. depends on other results

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts...d-to-be-seeded
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread