+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sean Connor's contract terminated

Pat Kelch
    Thanks

Sean Connor's contract terminated

Mbabazi
    Thanks
    I read that as O'Connor and was really disappointed haha
    And maybe a chance for a second... AND IT IS! IT'S ALL OVER! PATS HAVE WON THE CUP!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to We are the Red Army For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 785 Posts
    This now makes Ian Foster the worst manager in the league
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Jumbo Brennan caretaker manager.

Thanks
    Jesus , nearly had a hart attack there when I thought it said O'Connor , should have been done ages ago
    WATRA

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    Strange they waited so long?

IMO no, they only need to win the promotion/Relegation play off so the timing might be just right i.e. they only have to pay off 1/4 of Connors contract and still be in with the exact same shout of staying up. This gives the new guy 7 games to get the team in a position to beat either Cork or Monaghan

(Am I right in thinking it's 2 up and 10th Prem v 3rd First in the Relegation/Promotion play off?)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathcoolesaint View Post
    (Am I right in thinking it's 2 up and 10th Prem v 3rd First in the Relegation/Promotion play off?)
    Yeah, thats spot on.

2 legged play off

Paul McGrath
    Thanks

IMO no, they only need to win the promotion/Relegation play off so the timing might be just right i.e. they only have to pay off 1/4 of Connors contract and still be in with the exact same shout of staying up. This gives the new guy 7 games to get the team in a position to beat either Cork or Monaghan

It might be Galway's interests to be playing First Division football next year. What sort of a team will they be able to put together next year if things are as bad as they're made out to be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    It might be Galway's interests to be playing First Division football next year. What sort of a team will they be able to put together next year if things are as bad as they're made out to be?
    If that was the case they would have taken Jeff Kenna back on months ago.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Am I the only one that feels sorry for him? (and he usually really annoys me)
    How the hell was he supposed to do anything with that Galway squad, he had zero money to spend and the whole team got let go. Hardly his fault?

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 785 Posts
    He didn't even show up for training Matz, If he put in a bit of effort he could have organised his teams better and they definitely would have picked up some more wins
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Oh I didn't know he didn't show up for training. The fan(s) are the ones to feel sorry for I suppose!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matz View Post
    Oh I didn't know he didn't show up for training. The fan(s) are the ones to feel sorry for I suppose!
    As always matzer, they are the ones left behind.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Its pretty telling that they're all delighted with this move.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

He had a three-year contract (thanks, Nick).

Am I the only one that feels sorry for him? (and he usually really annoys me)
    How the hell was he supposed to do anything with that Galway squad, he had zero money to spend and the whole team got let go. Hardly his fault?
    At the start of this season, he had a bigger budget than at least one other team in the division. The "experienced" LOI players he signed were absolute shite and neither him or they could be bothered to show up for training. The likes of Steve Feeney, Shaun Maher, Brian Cash, Shaun Kelly and Greg Fleming were no loss IMO. At least now the squad is training together and some of the young local players are really improving.

Connor was also on ridiculously high wages (thanks again, Nick) and was generally causing trouble everywhere he went.

I doubt he'll ever get another job in the LOI.
    Last edited by Mr Maroon; 12th September 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Do you still owe him wages Mr Maroon?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner View Post
    Do you still owe him wages Mr Maroon?
    No. All we owe him is what is in the agreement he signed when leaving. So this is also one step closer to getting a license next season. He can't lodge a claim with the FAI now because he has an agreement with us.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Maroon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anyone see his interview on MNS ? Seemed very bitter. Basically said he's been a professional coach for 8 years and is better then everyone at Galway.

Thanks
    Seen that interview last night, couldn't believe what he was saying, horrible bitter arrogant little man

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Maroon View Post
    No. All we owe him is what is in the agreement he signed when leaving. So this is also one step closer to getting a license next season. He can't lodge a claim with the FAI now because he has an agreement with us.
    I don't mean to be smart, so apologies if I come across that way. As a club would ye maybe be better dropping a division and giving these young lads a chance to develop, rather than getting beaten most weeks? Particularaly if the club has no money next season to get in experienced players.

Surely all of the problems there are not solely down to Sean Connor and Nick Leeson. Why is the club in so much money problems. Mind you, you could probably ask that of all the clubs in the league.

Patrons
    Thanks
    3 Galway clubs is a crazy situation in fairness!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by see View Post
    I don't mean to be smart, so apologies if I come across that way. As a club would ye maybe be better dropping a division and giving these young lads a chance to develop, rather than getting beaten most weeks? Particularaly if the club has no money next season to get in experienced players.

Surely all of the problems there are not solely down to Sean Connor and Nick Leeson. Why is the club in so much money problems. Mind you, you could probably ask that of all the clubs in the league.
    I didn't necessarily mean a Premier Division license when I said it was one step closer to getting a license! If we're offered a place in the Premier next year we'll take (whether that's by winning the play-off and then getting a Premier license or by other club(s) going bust/dropping out etc). As you say though, being in the First Division next season isn't the worst thing that could happen to us. It would probably be easier for the whole club to develop on and off the pitch down there. There's a feeling though that the FAI are only going to award two licenses to teams in Galway for next season. Neither of the others are going to pull out and they cause a lot less bother and bad PR than we do. They also have practically zero support though.

Most of our problems really are down to Leeson's time in charge. The stuff he got away with for so long is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    3 Galway clubs is a crazy situation in fairness!
    It is, but they aren't our biggest problem. If our club wasn't in such a bad position at the moment, them entering the league would probably have been a good thing for us. It still has the potential to be. There are more players than ever in Galway getting LOI experience. If we can establish ourselves as the premier team in the region we should benefit from this.

Outsiders looking in tend to assume that Mervue and Devon have taken support away from United, but I really haven't noticed that at all. A large proportion of their attendances are away fans and United fans on nights we're not playing at home.

I see Blackie's cousins are in the news at the moment. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0913/slavery.html
    Last edited by Mr Maroon; 14th September 2011 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    Most of our problems really are down to Leeson's time in charge. The stuff he got away with for so long is ridiculous.
    You deserve it you kept him there. He brought down a bank with loads of dosh you hardly think hes going to build up a club with sweet f a dosh ! feckin culchies. No wonder they re elect fianna fail TDs they're fuckin idiots.O Cuiv relection sums up Galway's mental ability= Zero and allow 3 clubs into a minnow league ! get a grip you have nobody to blame but yourselves.
    Last edited by Red125; 15th September 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red125 View Post
    You deserve it you kept him there. He brought down a bank with loads of dosh you hardly think hes going to build up a club with sweet f a dosh ! feckin culchies. No wonder they re elect fianna fail TDs they're fuckin idiots.O Cuiv relection sums up Galway's mental ability= Zero and allow 3 clubs into a minnow league ! get a grip you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

I didn't keep him there. The board of directors did. If the fans hadn't put pressure on him and them, he'd still be there now (if the club still existed, which I highly doubt).

Also, what do I or Galway United have to do with allowing clubs into the league?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red125 View Post
    Jesus red, play nice.

+ Reply to Thread