Vaccines
    Underworld
    Lykke Li
    Adebisi Shank
    The Japanese Popstars
    Cyril The Judas

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    I'd love to be heading, a fair few of my mates are playing gigs. If you're about on Friday check out the Gandhis at 5.30 at the Crawdaddy stage. Great band.

Look out for Midlake, very good band!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Not going but PJ Harvey would be the pick of the weekend for me - absolutely brilliant singer and her latest album is one of the best around this year (takes a bit of getting into admittedly). If Pulp are anything like they were back in the day they should be great live, Cocker is a brilliant showman. Toots and the Maytals would be in the same category. The Go! Team should be well able to entertain a crowd for half an hour or so, beyond that they get a bit samey. Joan As Policewoman is very good live but I'm not sure a festival crowd would bring out the best in her.

Each to their own but I think the likes of The Chemical Brothers and Underworld (Fatboy Slim too) have been getting away with murder musically for over a decade now. Getting paid fortunes to play to crowds who'd dance to a fucking car alarm going off.

I see Sinead O Connor is on the bill. Wonder will anyone be up for the 'challenge' she posed last week. Having seen a recent photo of her, I sure wouldn't be volunteering.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Not going but PJ Harvey would be the pick of the weekend for me - absolutely brilliant singer and her latest album is one of the best around this year (takes a bit of getting into admittedly).
    been struggling with her all week and havent made the break through yet
    Cyril The Judas

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    James Vincent McMorrow, Santigold, Chemical Bros and the Go! Team are what I'm most looking forward to. And the comedy tent. And the rain

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matz View Post
    James Vincent McMorrow, Santigold, Chemical Bros and the Go! Team are what I'm most looking forward to. And the comedy tent. And the rain
    Any chance you'd add 'Bottle Rocket' to the playlist at Richer matz? Would be a great tune for just before the teams ran out, even if it didn't get to be the official 'teams coming onto the pitch' song.

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Yep of course! I play Huddle Formation the odd time but next home game after Galway, listen out for Bottle Rocket

Thanks
    wouldnt mind seeing interpol and arcade fire, but really couldnt be arsed
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Can safely say was one of the best weekends ever

Patrons
    Thanks
    great weekend but cant get over how bad the sound was at the main stage, especially for Pulp. Ruined their gig IMO
    Cyril The Judas

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Yeah it was very bad for Beirut too. Acts like that are better of in a tent as their sound gets lost in the openness. At Slane the sound was horrible too

Patrons
    Thanks
    Same happened last year for Massive Attack on the Sunday night, unless you're well down the hill in front of the sound desk, the wind just blows the sound all over the place

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    Same happened last year for Massive Attack on the Sunday night, unless you're well down the hill in front of the sound desk, the wind just blows the sound all over the place
    Ye my first thought was that it was just the wind, but the wind wasn't bad enough to justify the poor sound.

The best gigs i saw were probably :
    Adebisi Shank
    Lykke Li
    The Go Team
    Underworld
    Chemical Brothers
    Japanese Popstars
    Interpol
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    anyone see sir bob play

Peter Carpenter NoAlCalcioModerno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Absolutely a quality weekend.

Didn't catch many gigs, but loved Lykke Li, Shit Robot, Public Enemy, The Undertones, The Go! Team, Jimmy Cliff and Japanese Popstars.

I was working hard in Mindfield for an hour or two a day with History Ireland, where the boss took a chance to mention my being a saint. Got chatting to fans of any and all LOI clubs. In our own little camping area we'd a saint, two bohemians, an SRFC fan (Think Showgrounds, not Nogrounds) and more besides.
    THE SEI.

Thanks
    I see Gaz mentioned Toots and the Maytals. Toots wasn't up to it sadly, and one of the backing singers made it happen. Still a great set.

Fair play to whoever set the pyro off during Chemical Brothers and Underworld. Pyro ist kein Verbrechen!
    THE SEI.

robbo
    ye did laugh when they flared it up during them two acts ......underworld were quality thought chemical bros were poor ....seen 2 bob geldof songs wer very good .......mundy was good .....the lads that play in body and soul on the drums had the place hopping .......bicardi area was a top spot too .......salty dog was great craic .......expensive but money well spent

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbo View Post
    ye did laugh when they flared it up during them two acts ......underworld were quality thought chemical bros were poor ....seen 2 bob geldof songs wer very good .......mundy was good .....the lads that play in body and soul on the drums had the place hopping .......bicardi area was a top spot too .......salty dog was great craic .......expensive but money well spent
    Forgot about the Bacardi area, great spot
    Cyril The Judas

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    You could easily go to Picnic and see hardly any music. There's just so much to do. We went to a reading by Roddy Doyle, the Comedy tent, the swings, the chill out tents with beanbags, the Global Green....and the amount of families there with little cool kids was unreal. Such a good atmosphere all weekend.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matz View Post
    Such a good atmosphere all weekend.
    Ye i have to say thats one of my favourite things about the picnic
    Cyril The Judas

Patrons
    Thanks
    Amazing weekend. Seven of us took turns to dance arm in arm and roaring the lyrics to 'Evil' as Interpol played the Main Stage. Mad culchies beside us on the campsite started singing 'If You Leave Me Now' as we took down our tent on Sunday night. PJ Harvey was amazing - I need that new album! Loved James Vincent McMorrow, and a mate dragged me along to John Grant, who was class, and I'm definitely going to look out for his next gig in Ireland. Best possible start to Saturday morning with the Trinity Orchestra playing Daft Punk tunes. Silent Disco great craic, the Science Gallery tent always had something interesting on, Comedy Tent had some gems, the food was outstanding. I still wish I'd seen The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Santigold, The Walkmen, Foster the People, spent more time in Body and Soul... you really can't do it all though!

Thanks
    any yokes?
    THE SEI.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Aaaalllllaaaaaaaannnn !!!!!!!
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread