+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Slovakia/Russia

Thanks
    Fuckin poxy performance , don't deserve to go to the UCD Bowl never mind the Euro's
    WATRA

Thanks
    yep truly awful performance ,Hunt should have been on much earlier , Doyle was poison but still wouldnt be surprised if we beat Russia but unlikely.

Thanks
    Hunt has to start in Russia , McGeady is piss poor , with a bit of luck Long will be ok for Tuesday and Doyle can sit on the bench , I'd rather have Derek Doyle than Kevin TBH
    WATRA

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    I'd rather watch a Euro championship without Ireland in it if that's all they have to offer, BORING!!!
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Jaysus that was woeful,and some of them are on thousands a week,sorry they all are.Give me our league any day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seanyboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 666 Posts
    I went to the game. Atmosphere was shite and a shite performance aswell. Thank god there's Pats every week!
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Patrons
    Thanks
    So so so so poor- how many times did we give away a throw because someone carried the ball over the line unforced.

Keith Andrews put in one of the most shocking performances I've seen

Mcgeady was dbl teamed everytime and ward never overlapped to allow him isolate a player, when he did get space he looked dangerous.

So disappointing!

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    Used to play for Bohs, with Wolves now.
    And was a striker at that!

Shite tonight- but was pretty good in other games so deserved the chance

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 544 Posts
    I think Bohs are in for €50,000 after this appearance

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    That fucking peado hooperman tried to hug me walking ib the ground, was told to go and fuck himself and called Larry Murphy at the same time,anyways back to the game, truelly awful, if that was LOI game the barstullers would be saying why is that on telly, roll on tomorrow will see a decant gane of ball

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    what a shocking game of football. i didnt get why we kept hiting it back to given when he was strugling with kickouts alone, the mifeild was terrible mgeady started well and was bollixed by 30 minutes, duff dindt get much ball, keane and doyle were awful thought st ledger had a good game, how come a few mascots were there (bohs,ucd,cork,scum and another)were there why wasnt ar mascot thre forget his name)
    Liam Buckleys red and White Army

Patrons
    Thanks
    WWS - Remembered Always

Thanks
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 666 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by collieh View Post
    That fucking peado hooperman tried to hug me walking ib the ground, was told to go and fuck himself and called Larry Murphy at the same time,anyways back to the game, truelly awful, if that was LOI game the barstullers would be saying why is that on telly, roll on tomorrow will see a decant gane of ball
    Saw him at half time and reminded him that he is a paedophile
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Only Duff and St. Ledger put in respectable performances.

Ward was shite, but we do need to look for alternatives to Kilbane. Long-term I'd play Seamus Coleman at RB and move O'Shea to the left. For the Russia game I'd call up Ciaran Clark pronto, because they're definitely going to target Ward and McGeady offers no protection whatsoever.

At this stage, the only people who think Andrews is good enough for international football are his family and Trap. We someone else in there for the Russia game. Anyone bar Green.

Looking at the players on the bench was depressing. Andy Keogh, for fuck sake. How can anyone justify calling up him and leaving McCarthy out in the cold, regardless of the friendly pull-outs?

Also, Cox is a throwback to the Mick McCarthy era when every Irish striker was given a game at some point. He's piss poor, and it's not as if we're short of options. Leon Best scored two at the weekend and has a lot more to his game than Cox or even Doyle for that matter. Adam Rooney has started well at Brum and Anthony Stokes at the very least should be in the squad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post

Ward was shite, but we do need to look for alternatives to Kilbane. Long-term I'd play Seamus Coleman at RB and move O'Shea to the left. For the Russia game I'd call up Ciaran Clark pronto, because they're definitely going to target Ward and McGeady offers no protection whatsoever.

At this stage, the only people who think Andrews is good enough for international football are his family and Trap. We someone else in there for the Russia game. Anyone bar Green.

Looking at the players on the bench was depressing. Andy Keogh, for fuck sake. How can anyone justify calling up him and leaving McCarthy out in the cold, regardless of the friendly pull-outs?

Also, Cox is a throwback to the Mick McCarthy era when every Irish striker was given a game at some point. He's piss poor, and it's not as if we're short of options. Leon Best scored two at the weekend and has a lot more to his game than Cox or even Doyle for that matter. Adam Rooney has started well at Brum and Anthony Stokes at the very least should be in the squad.
    agree with you on most points there especially about coleman,best and stokes getting a call up for one of the euro qualifiers.In fairness to ward I think he is a good player and he just had a bad game last night.
    We are the red army

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts

Agree with that except the bit about Stokes. No where near good enough and way way down the pecking order IMO

Thanks
    Shane Long out of Tuesdays game now

Thanks
    If i had to play up front with Robbie Keana id fucking shoot myself. What a lazy bastard!! And as for McGeady, jesus christ. Trap out, far too negative in every single game

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    john o shea is out as well. disaster

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    john o shea is out as well. disaster
    Good news for Trap. That's another ready-made excuse.

He'll be keeping his fingers crossed Given is ruled out too.

Thanks
    if we lose on wednesday that could be the beginning of the end of trap imo.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    if we lose on wednesday that could be the beginning of the end of trap imo.

One point from two games plus retrograde football should mean he's shown the door, but this is the FAI we're talking about.

The FAI are edging towards offering Giovanni Trapattoni a new two-year-contract, providing the team reaches the play-offs for the European qualifiers and the Italian accepts significantly reduced terms.

With the situation surrounding businessman Denis O'Brien's continued sponsorship of Trapattoni and his entourage still unclear, the ten-man board of the FAI are considering reducing their collective outlay on the Irish management team from €2.5m per-year to €1.5m.

The implications of such a move are obvious. Not only could Trapattoni expect to see his wages halved but the future of his scouting network, who include Frank Stapleton and Mick Martin, could also come under increasing scrutiny.

Then again, Trapattoni's future is also under scrutiny following Friday's dire performance at the Aviva against Slovakia. Although he retains an overwhelming support from the board (when his situation was discussed at last Monday's monthly board meeting there was a clear preference for his continuation in the role) a week tends to be a particularly long time in Irish football politics.

Feedback from well-placed FAI sources have indicated that a majority of board members favour keeping Trapattoni in office until the end of the 2014 World Cup campaign with one board member saying: "We don't want two more winters like we had in 2005 and 2007."

Then the FAI's prolonged chase for new managers, following Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton's dismissals, proved embarrassing. More significantly, the consensus among board members is that Trapattoni, Friday aside, has done a reasonable job since replacing Staunton in May 2008.

However, should Trapattoni refuse to work for the new package offered -- he can expect to earn €900,000 under the new terms -- then they are prepared to call his bluff and move on.

But if Ireland fail to reach the Euro 2012 play-offs then all bets are off and the succession race will begin in earnest.

Yet despite the result on Friday, Trapattoni has insisted there is no need to panic and ruled out any changes to the system for Ireland's game in Moscow on Tuesday night.

"I'm happy with our attitude and mentality. We'll have the same approach for Russia," he said.

Shay Given, however, has expressed concerns about Russia's "unfair advantage" by playing on a plastic pitch and criticised UEFA for allowing Russia to use it.

"I do think it's an unfair advantage," Given said. "They're the only team in Europe who play on a plastic pitch. It's another fantastic decision by UEFA or FIFA or whoever makes these decisions, but we've got to get on with it. Speaking to Aiden McGeady, I don't think the Russian lads like playing on it that much either. You've got to deal with it."

Trapattoni was not concerned by the plastic pitch, deciding that Ireland wouldn't train on a surface at Lansdowne Road because it risked exacerbating injuries within the squad.

Ireland's chances of dealing with a team that dismantled them in Dublin last year took another blow when Shane Long returned to England yesterday.

Ireland may look like they are short of options but Trapattoni refused to add to the squad, insisting that he had the players in his panel who could pull off one of the most unlikely away victories in Irish football history.

With many suggesting that Trapattoni needs to change his system or his approach, Trapattoni was not for turning.

"We have to continue with this system," he insisted while suggesting that Ireland had created enough chances to win against Slovakia.

He dismissed suggestions from Slovakian players that Ireland were predictable.

"We expected Ireland to play long ball and we prepared for that," Slovakia's Martin Skrtel said afterwards, "but I think to be honest we played better than you today, and that's it."

"Why did they say that?" Trapattoni replied. "They have the same points as us, and they didn't score. I change the game depending on what players I have. A player can change the result and that is not predictable. We have good organisation."

Ireland will need a bit more on Tuesday. So many players under-performed on Friday that Trapattoni will hope it can't be repeated and there are many precedents, even before his time, of Ireland responding well from bad displays.

Trapattoni will have to find a replacement for Sean St Ledger who is suspended after picking up a booking on Friday night. Darren O'Dea is the most likely replacement, although John O'Shea could move from right back to centre-back.

Thanks
    as much as i'm not totally against the way trap is doing things i do think a change may be needed in the not too distant future in order to get people going to games again. The style of play coupled with the pricing plan originally set down bt the FAI has turned so many people of games. I've cancelled a block booking i've had for 16 years. Attendances have hit a chronic level and i think a major change is needed to get people back....pretty much the same for Pats

Patrons
    Thanks
    doyle is usually very good for us i cant understand how much stick he got after that match,the whole team were shit, we will beat russia tuesday im extreamly optimistic ha,although i dont hate the way we play as i prefer results i do think if we dont qualify he has to go,may aswell play nice football and finish 3rd
    With Bucka to lead us sure no one could beat us!

Thanks
    piss poor performance all round , no creativity at all , i firmly believe andrews and whelan are better pleyers than what they show in the green jersey but for whatever reason they just never want the ball . resorting to dunne hoofing the ball up the pitch is terrible , duff was ok i hate mcgeady hunt coming on when he did was a joke , keane and doyle were poor o,shea once again was crap .
    the question is though do we have many other options im not sure mccarthy coming in yet will make that much difference , coleman would be good in there i think ward really deserves his chance , cox has scored twice in 6 games so maybe deserves a chance in friendlys but thats it ,
    i reckon hunt will start tomorrow as he did a fitness test after the game , only good thing about friday was the free premium tkts and free bar before ,

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
    piss poor performance all round , no creativity at all , i firmly believe andrews and whelan are better pleyers than what they show in the green jersey but for whatever reason they just never want the ball . resorting to dunne hoofing the ball up the pitch is terrible , duff was ok i hate mcgeady hunt coming on when he did was a joke , keane and doyle were poor o,shea once again was crap .
    the question is though do we have many other options im not sure mccarthy coming in yet will make that much difference , coleman would be good in there i think ward really deserves his chance , cox has scored twice in 6 games so maybe deserves a chance in friendlys but thats it ,
    i reckon hunt will start tomorrow as he did a fitness test after the game , only good thing about friday was the free premium tkts and free bar before ,
    McGeady's a vital outlet for us, especially if we play with two sitting midfielders. He wasn't fit on Friday and it showed. More bad judgement from Trap. He's more important for tomorrow's game, and should have started the Slovakia match on the bench.

Also, having McGeady (a right-footer) on the left and Duff (a left-footer) on the right failed miserably.

Thanks
    mcgeady is awful and has been for a long time , if he palys tomorrow it will be the longest he,s palyed in russia and he bloody plays there
    i agree they should have switched sides

Thanks

Also, having McGeady (a right-footer) on the left and Duff (a left-footer) on the right failed miserably.
    One aspect of modern day management that does my head in. slows every attack down. My hatred started when pats played willie burke left full. Never as effective as he was at right full even after the broken leg

Thanks
    Republic of Ireland team to play Russia: Shay Given, Stephen Kelly, Richard Dunne, Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward, Damien Duff, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle.

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    Republic of Ireland team to play Russia: Shay Given, Stephen Kelly, Richard Dunne, Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward, Damien Duff, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle.
    It's a long time since we fielded such an uninspiring line-up in a competitive fixture.

Can't help but predict a moral victory tomorrow. 1-0 Russia

+ Reply to Thread