+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean O Connor

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scejlo View Post
    No harm done except that he'll be getting a wage from an already stretched budget. Don't anyone believe for a second that he'll be joining for nothing, for a start the minimum wage applies in football in the same way as it does elsewhere, the PFAI have reminded clubs of that fact.
    Maybe if he came into section E just before the start of the next home game and apologised for his last visit there I and a few others might feel a little differently about him. I'd be very surprised to see it happen though.
    We have had a good few players play for us this season who are on amateur contracts only being paid for first team games. It's called an amateur contract and players technically only get paid expenses.

We wouldn't sign SOC unless we could afford him (if he is indeed getting anything)- for him it's a 16 week trial, he will be hungry to prove himself and prove us all wrong so he can get a deal for next year.

But what I guarantee you is that PM/JG don't take shit, they are strict and expect alot from players. If soccy doesn't perform or conform he won't last long.

PM/jG have made very few poor judgement calls. Infact if I recall correctly we have only signed 4 players in 2 years from clubs who finished the previous season above us (bermo, Bradley, anto and Mcfaul)

It makes our performances,'recruitment selection,'coaching and motivational performances all the more staggering!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    The club a player comes from is completely irrelevant. Rovers signed 2 from Galway this season. Anto coming from Bohs doesn't make him a better player than Kavanagh coming from scrapheap

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The club a player comes from is completely irrelevant. Rovers signed 2 from Galway this season. Anto coming from Bohs doesn't make him a better player than Kavanagh coming from scrapheap
    Yeah- but it's the volume and results thats an indication as to how skilfully PM/JG have used our budget (add in the fact that we were 3rd/4th bottom 2 years ago and signed 1 player from better teams)

Rovers have cherry picked the most popular/obvious players in each position (as we would have had we the same circumstances and budget)

I suppose my point is that PM/JG have been successful in signing uncelebrated players- so trust them with the soccy signing.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Yeah- but it's the volume and results thats an indication as to how skilfully PM/JG have used our budget (add in the fact that we were 3rd/4th bottom 2 years ago and signed 1 player from better teams)

Rovers have cherry picked the most popular/obvious players in each position (as we would have had we the same circumstances and budget)

I suppose my point is that PM/JG have been successful in signing uncelebrated players- so trust them with the soccy signing.
    We havn't '' cherry picked '' them all now. No one heard of Ryan Thompson? so far so good - especially his performance in Copenhagen. No one heard of Conor McCormack? Argubaly one of our best players this season, certainly getting my YPOTY vote. Dean Kelly? No one knew a lot about him, and after a slow start to the season, is holding down a regular starting space and is doing very well. Enda Stevens wasn't the best at Pats was he, lets be fair? Turned out to be one of the best full backs in the league, Ireland under 23 international. Didn't spend a lot, if any, money on those 4 players, who, incidentally, all started the last game for us. Gary Twigg? Who was this guy 2/3 years ago from Brechin? League's top scorer for the past two seasons, over 50 goals in just over 100 appearances. Not a lot of money, if any again, spent on him. Craig Sives? Same story. So actually, that makes 6 starters.

I could go on and on. My point is there is a lot of Rovers players who didn't have a history behind them when joining Rovers, and have turned into the some very good players under MON. While I agree there is some too who have got a history ie Oman, Murray, O'Donnell, Finn, McCabe, Kilduff. It is nearly roughly split 50/50 between splashing out on recognised talent, and discovering talent yourself.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuite View Post
    We havn't '' cherry picked '' them all now. No one heard of Ryan Thompson? so far so good - especially his performance in Copenhagen. No one heard of Conor McCormack? Argubaly one of our best players this season, certainly getting my YPOTY vote. Dean Kelly? No one knew a lot about him, and after a slow start to the season, is holding down a regular starting space and is doing very well. Enda Stevens wasn't the best at Pats was he, lets be fair? Turned out to be one of the best full backs in the league, Ireland under 23 international. Didn't spend a lot, if any, money on those 4 players, who, incidentally, all started the last game for us. Gary Twigg? Who was this guy 2/3 years ago from Brechin? League's top scorer for the past two seasons, over 50 goals in just over 100 appearances. Not a lot of money, if any again, spent on him. Craig Sives? Same story. So actually, that makes 6 starters.

I could go on and on. My point is there is a lot of Rovers players who didn't have a history behind them when joining Rovers, and have turned into the some very good players under MON. While I agree there is some too who have got a history ie Oman, Murray, O'Donnell, Finn, McCabe, Kilduff. It is nearly roughly split 50/50 between splashing out on recognised talent, and discovering talent yourself.
    Its the likes of O'Neill, Sheppard, O'Donnell, Kilduff, McCabe, Finn and Oman who were hand picked going on last seasons form. What the previous poster was saying is that we cannot compete for these players and therefore have to try and find pearls from oysters. This thread has nothing to do with Rovers unless you have a broad opinion on SOC so there was no need for your defensive reply.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sportsbrother For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Kelly was playing for oldham, stephans was well known in the league. Sives played for hearts ffs. thompson is shite. Were you in drogheda?

Your dipso manager hasn't a fuckin patch on pete mahon nor an ounce of his class. He's had a succession of highly qualified big name coaches...why is that.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsbrother View Post
    Its the likes of O'Neill, Sheppard, O'Donnell, Kilduff, McCabe, Finn and Oman who were hand picked going on last seasons form. What the previous poster was saying is that we cannot compete for these players and therefore have to try and find pearls from oysters. This thread has nothing to do with Rovers unless you have a broad opinion on SOC so there was no need for your defensive reply.
    It wasn't intended to be a defensive reply, just pointing out that all our players aren't or weren't cherry picked. We did, as you put it, find pearls from oysters, in the several players I lised above. Pats have found some too in Kavanagh, North, Carroll. Bohs to a lesser extent with Forrestor, Traynor, Buckley. Loads of teams have, and at the same time, loads of teams will ' cherry pick ' players - which is only natural. For what it's worth, I think we cherry picked SOC from Pats in 2007/2008. Turned out a bit of a flop though. Shows not all ' cherry pickings ' work out, and in some cases, the pearls from oysters turn out to be the best finds

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Kelly was playing for oldham, stephans was well known in the league. Sives played for hearts ffs. thompson is shite. Were you in drogheda?

Your dipso manager hasn't a fuckin patch on pete mahon nor an ounce of his class. He's had a succession of highly qualified big name coaches...why is that.
    Kelly wasn't with Oldham for very long was he! McCormack was with United too at one stage doesn't mean anything! Sives was with Hearts youth set up, a set up were he was constantly in and out of due to a serious injury he received which kept niggling at him. What are you basing Thompson being shit on? One game v Drogheda? If one game defines a player, then we could call Gary Rogers ' shit ' for his blunder v Lviv the other night, no? Thompson recovered from a under-par performance v Drogheda (a game actually were he kept a clean sheet, so don't see how you can call him shit based on that ) to play a very good game in Copenhagen, anyone who watched the match would tell you that.

Patrons
    Thanks
    so your basing thomson good on one game too?

Stevens was well know as he was pretty good with us considering that year.

The likes of twigg and the rest pats wouldnt be able to afford them

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    kelly played and scored for oldham within a short time of signing for yous???

Sives played first team for hearts and others in scotland.
    you said so far so good with thompson. Thats simply not true obviously as you contradicted yourself in your next post.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts

23 more of those between now and end of season and we will like him again.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    chaps poison
    he was a prick at crumlin,prick at pats, complete prick at rovers and seems like a lazy prick at limerick

there has to be some young fell released from england or scotland worth a 14wk deal

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thread should probably be split at this point (into OT)

Regarding the current rovers cherry picked squad.

In a panel of 20 odd players few would have been regarded as a "gamble" to sign- for the record I've seen Thompson play a few times and think he is shite- wouldn't be surprised if he costs you the league.

Also- stevens was very highly regarded here before his switch to you guys. Snatching someone elses promising youngster
    as understudy to Danny Murphy is hardly the work of an eagle eyed manager. similar with Kilduff, McCabe, Finn, shep, dennehy, Murphy, Murray, chambers, kavanagh, manus, turner, o donnell, o neill etc etc were In no way gambles.

McCormack played for man utd ffs

I'm not criticising rovers for doing it- if pats could afford it I'd be delighted- but don't be dillusional that rovers have been unearthing unknown gems or that their youth or scouting programme is unearthing unknown talent.

Just because it's an obvious (and usually expensive player) player doesn't make it wrong - I simply believe PM/JG have shown a different (and arguably less common) skill in unearthing unfashionable, original or unappreciated players and getting the best from them.

Oh- I'd hardly call dan Murray, twigg, McCabe and co "inexpensive" and judging by your 2010 accounts rovers would have made a substantial loss if they hadn't drawn juve in the Europa.

If I were a rovers fan I'd make sure we don't lose focus on our past troubles. A 100k profit (while on the face of it is excellent) covers up that if you hadn't won the league, or reached the cup final, or drawn juve (which you did)- the rovers board had done exactly what bohs, Shels, cork and drogs had done and budgeted for substantial success.

Last year was good and these 3 things DID fall your way- if they hadn't then a loss of 200-400k wouldnt have been impossible.

Model club?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 670 Posts
    Personally I think SOC is a cunt. My dad was up in that section when SOC did what he did. I wasn't there so I'm not going to hold that against him or boo him but for people that were in that section I can fully understand their lack of support for him.

I will support him now that he will be in a Saints jersey, maybe not with as much enthusiasm as I would supporting others. I think alot of people would be satisfied if he did apologise but I don't think that will happen.

Sean O'Connor is a cunt, but he's our cunt now.
    Christy Fagan - He scores big goals

17. The Following User Says Thank You to St. Robbie For This Useful Post:

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    I agree with saint79 .. There are players being released from England and Scotland that are 10 times better than O'Connor ..!! Easily could hav go someone from there instead of him .. I cant' see him doing anything with us the chap is a f**king wan**r

Dinny Lowry
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePonyKid View Post
    I agree with saint79 .. There are players being released from England and Scotland that are 10 times better than O'Connor ..!! Easily could hav go someone from there instead of him .. I cant' see him doing anything with us the chap is a f**king wan**r
    And where does the money come from to pay them

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    So your trying to say there is no players being released from Endland or Scotland that we could afford on a 14 wk deal ..?? O'Connor is filth ..!! Seriously bad player . There is 100s of players out there better than him that we could afford ..!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePonyKid View Post
    So your trying to say there is no players being released from Endland or Scotland that we could afford on a 14 wk deal ..?? O'Connor is filth ..!! Seriously bad player . There is 100s of players out there better than him that we could afford ..!!
    Do you know of any? Could you name one?

Thanks
    Kdjacs video brings back horrible memorys...... the old belfield *shudder*

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    He's a cunt and he couldn't cross his legs, But while he wears the jersey il back him all the way. I trust Pete and John's knowledge more than mine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Robbie View Post
    He's a cunt and he couldn't cross his legs, But while he wears the jersey il back him all the way. I trust Pete and John's knowledge more than mine.
    Well you couldnt tell your left from your right in Ukraine so i reckon theyve more knowledge anyway

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    I don't know if we have definitely signed him. It is a very strage signing if we have. 14 weeks it will take him that long to get fit. I liked Sean O'Connor when he was here first, I thought it was a bit premature letting him go. He was young and hungry to learn the game. I am not sure if he is motivated now. Yes I remember his goal against UCD and Derry in the cup final. But that was then. I am willing to wait and see because maybe he didn't settle in Limerick. But he will seriously have to improve his attitude if he wants to play for Pats. Would have preferred a young player ala Jake Carroll to O'Connor but will wait and see. From what I heard from Limerick supporters he didn't seem to be bothered. I hope he is on a pay as you play contract.

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was involved in the incident with the little prick and if he has resigned I think it's an awful signing but I won't be booing or abusing him or giving him that much encouragement either. (and I I feel the exact same way about Bradley who was the much lesser of 2 evils that night)

He won't be a born again legend and he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Also very important to note on all this is that Rovers are cunts.

Curtis Fleming
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathcoolesaint View Post
    I was involved in the incident with the little prick and if he has resigned I think it's an awful signing but I won't be booing or abusing him or giving him that much encouragement either. (and I I feel the exact same way about Bradley who was the much lesser of 2 evils that night)

He won't be a born again legend and he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Also very important to note on all this is that Rovers are cunts.
    That's always important to note!!

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Get over your selves lads would ye. He is a good player and will be a good signing because were struggling badly wide right. He trained pre season with Pats and Pete was always interested in him, just didnt have the funds then to sign him. The guy has always been a Pats fan and has been at a number of games this year to cheer on the Saints. Good to see local talent playing for clubs they supported as a kid ie Doyler, McFaul, Bermo, Shorty and now Seany...

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    Find it hard to believe a Pats fan would willingly and knowingly give abuse to fellow Pats fans in the Main Stand. Not aware of the exact incident meself, but seems bizarre you would abuse ' one of your own ' so to speak.

Thanks
    Find it hard to believe a Pats fan would willingly and knowingly give abuse to fellow Pats fans in the Main Stand. Not aware of the exact incident meself, but seems bizarre you would abuse ' one of your own ' so to speak.
    Ha!

Extra words. Rovers are cunts.

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Im not too aware of what he did? Something about kissing a Rovers badge was it? Adrenaline running high, match scenario, lads in the stand who probably couldnt kick snow off a rope on your case throughout the game. Your gonna react. Numerous times I seen Keith Fahy having a go at fans on his case. Its part and parcel with the game. Dont see why people on here hold such a grudge against the lad.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Ive given abuse to other pats fans in the past for being idiots (and rightly so)

Then again I'm not a player!

It happens at all clubs- sure earlier this season there was a rake of Gardai escorting a few rovers fans who were within the home support from the ground for whatever.

I'm sure in all this neither soccy or the fan he was abusing are squeaky clean.

Patrons
    Thanks
    why is everyone calling him a right winger? He plays on the left

34. The Following User Says Thank You to saintjoey For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread