+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Leaving Cert Results

Colm Foley
    Thanks
    Stuff that seems like it'll never be any use to you actually helps in the long run. Anyone who did History for the Leaving Cert knows the amount of research involved, this all stands to you in college (and if you're ever working in the media as research is the basis of everything). I hated Maths and Business in school but business helped with different modules in college too. I agree with people about Irish being taught in the wrong way - my old Irish teacher told us she hated teaching the course becuase she could see the students eyes glaze over. She said if she had her way we'd be having Irish conversations for the class, learning modern Irish history through Irish, and learning about Irish culture and heritage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

Agree with most of your post but this is laughable - if you can still find a Latin teacher anywhere tell him Spanish and French are Celtic languages and stand well back! By the way, French are Spanish are nothing like Irish structurally.
    Thats why i said i assume And yeah they are more latin but there is still elements of celtic in them . Anyway , Irish is taught shit , and should be taught better

Patrons
    Thanks
    Pretty sure I made the same point on whatever forum we were using this time last year, but if any of youse did Honours Spanish and felt a bit hard done by with your grade, I'd advise you to give some serious thought to appealing (costs €60 but you get it back if your grade is revised upwards).

My other half teaches Spanish and corrects the LC, she said this year's paper was relatively easy compared to other years, but the correctors are forced to provide the same percentage of As, Bs and Cs as they have every year. If they've too many high grades, they're literally told by the supervisors to find ways dock marks e.g. in this year's paper, I think the Spanish word for a yoke that astronauts travel in had to be translated - "spacecraft" was the only acceptable answer, but "rocket" or "spaceship" got you no marks.

I'd say there's similar examples from every subject - the bad news is that every subject is marked so as the spread of grades matches this infamous curve. The whole thing is a con.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post

My other half teaches Spanish and corrects the LC, she said this year's paper was relatively easy compared to other years, but the correctors are forced to provide the same percentage of As, Bs and Cs as they have every year. If they've too many high grades, they're literally told by the supervisors to find ways dock marks e.g. in this year's paper, I think the Spanish word for a yoke that astronauts travel in had to be translated - "spacecraft" was the only acceptable answer, but "rocket" or "spaceship" got you no marks.
    I could never understand this.

Extremely unfair if you ask me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seiphil View Post
    I could never understand this.

Extremely unfair if you ask me.
    Well, the leaving cert is meant to prepare you for life.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Well, the leaving cert is meant to prepare you for life.
    It certainly does that so haha

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub View Post
    Pretty sure I made the same point on whatever forum we were using this time last year, but if any of youse did Honours Spanish and felt a bit hard done by with your grade, I'd advise you to give some serious thought to appealing (costs €60 but you get it back if your grade is revised upwards).

I'd say there's similar examples from every subject - the bad news is that every subject is marked so as the spread of grades matches this infamous curve. The whole thing is a con.

I find that an unusual scenario, I have a friend who is a German teacher and while students may not know an exact word some marks are given he said for knowing an alternative word which still conveys the idea of what the student is trying to say. Whole idea of language is to communicate an idea , being fluent in a language is knowing how to do this in two ways!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    CAO offers out today. I had trouble getting on the site but glad I did eventually

Banned
    Thanks
    Hope you got what you wanted!

+ Reply to Thread