Thread: The Phone thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppo254 View Post
    Yes all the adverts on tv etc have been rolled out today
    That new ad is mental.

New Signing
    Thanks
    Slightly off topic:

If you buy an iPhone off apple.com or the like, can you just put ur regular pay-as-you-go meteor sim card into it? And does it just continue on the same plan as you are currently on on your old phone?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddt View Post
    Slightly off topic:

If you buy an iPhone off apple.com or the like, can you just put ur regular pay-as-you-go meteor sim card into it? And does it just continue on the same plan as you are currently on on your old phone?
    Apple.com etc all sell factory unlocked phones so you can put any sim in at all and use it. If that sim is on a package you may carry on no problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

ddt

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddt View Post
    Slightly off topic:

Jim is right , just be aware you will need a micro-sim for an iPhone 4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoppo254 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavia View Post
    What's this? Can't see it on the website
    whoops its 2nd of september

The whole 20 quid thing goes and is repalced by the 5 10 30 thing.

Sounds good but isnt really if you were a 20 euro topper upper.

Patrons
    Thanks

Android Problem

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S
    Problem: Just last night, all my apps that were on my SD card, just stopped working (Clicked on one and it came up force close). In place of the app pics was a lil android man with SD in corner. Click on any them and “they cant be found”.

Ive lost over 30 +apps. I formatted the SD card ,Deleted everything, and as a tester, moved an app to SD card storage. I checked it and it worked. Then I knocked it off and back on and the app i moved over came up like the rest them last night?

Now theres 2 questions i have:
    1) How do i fix my SD card/the actual problem itself? ( i googled and fewothers have same issue but no solution was posted on them boards)

2)How do i backup my apps to my PC? (Samsung kies only for contacts/photos etc)
    Apps on the phone itself are grand.

Thanks in advace

Screen Pic of when app on SD card is on home screen:
    Last edited by red-army; 6th October 2011 at 06:30 PM.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    sounds like an underactive android.....
    Last edited by farrell99; 7th October 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
    get an iphone..
    One love *** One club

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Dont work in the mobile phone industry no more.....refuse to answer this lol

red ill check it out and see can i find anything

Thanks
    Dont work in the mobile phone industry no more.....refuse to answer this lol
    What happened Hoppo?

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    What happened Hoppo?

Short answer : Got the bullet after a disagreement with the Assistant manager

Working for Eurocycles now instead

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hoppo254 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Short answer : Got the bullet after a disagreement with the Assistant manager

Working for Eurocycles now instead
    when they said on your bike son, they didnt actually mean that
    We All Dream Of A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!! A Team Of Curly Wurly's!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danthesaint For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by red-army View Post
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy S
    Problem: Just last night, all my apps that were on my SD card, just stopped working (Clicked on one and it came up force close). In place of the app pics was a lil android man with SD in corner. Click on any them and “they cant be found”.

Ive lost over 30 +apps. I formatted the SD card ,Deleted everything, and as a tester, moved an app to SD card storage. I checked it and it worked. Then I knocked it off and back on and the app i moved over came up like the rest them last night?

Now theres 2 questions i have:
    1) How do i fix my SD card/the actual problem itself? ( i googled and fewothers have same issue but no solution was posted on them boards)

2)How do i backup my apps to my PC? (Samsung kies only for contacts/photos etc)
    Apps on the phone itself are grand.

Thanks in advace
    Not sure what happened to your SD card but you can get all your apps from the android market place just sign in with your google account and re-download your apps

here a link to the android market:

https://market.android.com/?hl=en

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Donohoe'd and Dusted For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts
    Is the internet always ON on android phones?

Thanks
    Nope, there's a power widget you can add to one of the home screens that has a switch to turn data off...
    Negativity is the new Positivity.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doom For This Useful Post:

Packie Lynch
    Thanks
    Samsung phones allow you to hold in the power button and turn off the data. The network can also block data for you BUT that also blocks MMS being sent

Thanks
    Another question, I've downloads an app so I can listen to Irish radio on the phone, would this app eat up my internet? Think I've 2GB a month allowance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Another question, I've downloads an app so I can listen to Irish radio on the phone, would this app eat up my internet? Think I've 2GB a month allowance
    No wouldn't use up that much but use wifi where possible and just keep an eye on it. You should be grand though

Tunein radio is brilliant

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    No wouldn't use up that much but use wifi where possible and just keep an eye on it. You should be grand though

Tunein radio is brilliant

Yeah, Tunein is the one I downloaded, brilliant to be able to listen to radio stations from home when going to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Yeah, Tunein is the one I downloaded, brilliant to be able to listen to radio stations from home when going to work.
    talksport is very good. Richard keyes and andy grey have a super programme every morning from about 10-1. I dont like them in general but the programme is brilliant

Also lots of mainstream artists have their own channels which plays their music non stop. (Johnny cash, oasis, beatles, dylan, springsteen and loads more)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Used it properly for the first time this morning, feckin' brilliant listening to NewsTalk while walking to work

Patrons
    Thanks

Buying an Iphone4

Lads wondering if any of you can help me out here. I'm looking to buy an Iphone 4, new or second hand (in good nick). Ive been browsing around gumtree, adverts and the likes but most of the people there selling are saying that they were bought as a bill pay phone. Some have said that are keeping the sim card and selling the phone on.

Say if i buy the phone and the person stops paying the bill, im assuming that the phone will then become blocked, is there anyway that id be then able to get it unblocked as im not willing to take a risk if it being blocked after buying and then not having a come back ??

Any info would help cheers.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Whoops wrong section, Can mod move please cheers

Thanks
    I'd run away from that Conor. There's plenty of phones that people will be away from their contract soon with a lot less risk. Since the iPhone 4 had the "antenna issue" at the start I'd say 99.99% of the handsets have been in a case, so should be in good nick. I'd be much happier buying a 1 year old one than a scammy-esque new one.
    Or go on a bill. Apple.ie are starting to sell the 4 as 8gig only though so if you want a new 16/32gig then you better hit the retailers fast.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Be very very careful who your buying from, a friend of mine stupidly bought one from ebay from some lad in America the phone worked for a month, then broke. He brought it to apple to get it fixed they told him it was a dud iPhone. He is now in a long process of trying to get his money back.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Inchicore_Saint For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    There are a few people on adverts.ie telling me that the network provider cant block the phone if the bill isnt being paid. Does anyone know anything about this. Going to see if i can find anything on the net.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Seen the ads for this new 'network' called 48 Go Conquer that's only available to people aged 18-22? It's actually a bit of a marketing ploy from O2 (hosted entirely on their network and doesn't appear to be a separate company) to nick some market share off Meteor, who dominate that age bracket. You sign up for €10 a month and get unlimited calls/texts to any Irish mobile network. The site is supposed to be all 'down with the kids' and social networky and that - 'we threw this shit together' sort of thing - having been a software developer for them for years I can assure you that much will be bollocks!

However, I would seriously question whether the deal is legal under discrimination legislation. Thread about it below on boards.ie. Discounts for the Under 18s and OAPs are fine and insurance prices are specifically excepted from age discrimination legislation. Beyond that you're getting into murky waters legally, so actually enforcing the stated Terms & Conditions could be tricky for them. Would also be surprising if they adopted the attitude of '22? Go Fuck Off' (possibly to a rival network) whenever people on it hit that age.

Of course anybody not aged 18-22 will be accused of jealousy if they complain about this but that's completely missing the point. I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal and O2 are doing this for the publicity (a la Ryanair), knowing they'll have to withdraw the offer and accommodate it under their own name on their network for the same rates. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056531486

http://www.48months.ie/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Read most of that thread. They've said they're not part of o2, but ARE part of the telefonica group (I know its one and the same gaz, but I'm just pointing out they're trying to differentiate)

They also replied to some lads e-mail in a 'jokey' fashion saying they won't check his DOB ("or will we?"), so I think they won't preclude any age group.

The big problem with going for the 'young' 'social networky' market is their data prices are a bit crap. They'll charge €1 per hour (of load times apparently) which is a bit gick.
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Seen the ads for this new 'network' called 48 Go Conquer that's only available to people aged 18-22? It's actually a bit of a marketing ploy from O2 (hosted entirely on their network and doesn't appear to be a separate company) to nick some market share off Meteor, who dominate that age bracket. You sign up for €10 a month and get unlimited calls/texts to any Irish mobile network. The site is supposed to be all 'down with the kids' and social networky and that - 'we threw this shit together' sort of thing - having been a software developer for them for years I can assure you that much will be bollocks!

However, I would seriously question whether the deal is legal under discrimination legislation. Thread about it below on boards.ie. Discounts for the Under 18s and OAPs are fine and insurance prices are specifically excepted from age discrimination legislation. Beyond that you're getting into murky waters legally, so actually enforcing the stated Terms & Conditions could be tricky for them. Would also be surprising if they adopted the attitude of '22? Go Fuck Off' (possibly to a rival network) whenever people on it hit that age.

Of course anybody not aged 18-22 will be accused of jealousy if they complain about this but that's completely missing the point. I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal and O2 are doing this for the publicity (a la Ryanair), knowing they'll have to withdraw the offer and accommodate it under their own name on their network for the same rates. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056531486

http://www.48months.ie/
    there in our college all week. u have to top up by €10 a month and pay a members fee of €10 every month. so its actually €20 a month

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    u have to top up by €10 a month and pay a members fee of €10 every month. so its actually €20 a month

And there we have it

+ Reply to Thread