+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phone thread

Thanks

iPhone 4

Picking up one on Monday. Its my first iPhone (or i-anything for that matter). What are the must-have apps for me to look for straight away?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Awesome slag, you should go pro with material like that.
    i agree with pte why de fuck did you buy a phone with more cons than pros?

htc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjac View Post
    i agree with pte why de fuck did you buy a phone with more cons than pros?

htc?
    Thats not what pte said though, so you are agreeing with something he didn't say. I was looking at the desire, but the iphone won the inner struggle.

That, and because I want to.

New Signing
    Thanks
    Apps all depend on your interests so it's hard to recommend some. The app store is very well organised and layed out though, there is a lot of catogorities, top tens etc. Just have a browse around yourself.

Thanks
    Thats not what pte said though, so you are agreeing with something he didn't say. I was looking at the desire, but the iphone won the inner struggle.

That, and because I want to.
    Sorry was assuming he knew what an Iphone was.

But a brand name won the inner struggle, i assume you are knowledgable in technical shite there is no way in hell anyone with a brain would buy an iphone over a HTC. Its ridiculous to even compare the two (LOI 11 vs man united comes to mind here), one is smartphone that does shit the other is brand that doesnt do anything really of use.

Thanks
    Sorry was assuming he knew what an Iphone was.

But a brand name won the inner struggle, i assume you are knowledgable in technical shite there is no way in hell anyone with a brain would buy an iphone over a HTC. Its ridiculous to even compare the two (LOI 11 vs man united comes to mind here), one is smartphone that does shit the other is brand that doesnt do anything really of use.
    I'm not comparing them, you are
    I am getting the impression that my opting for the iphone over HTC offends you somehow...

Thanks
    Knowledge>Opinion
    One love *** One club

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom the gom View Post
    Knowledge>Opinion
    How very enlightening....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom the gom View Post
    Knowledge>Opinion
    Intelligence > knowledge

Thanks
    This phone is freaking awesome by the way.
    Delighted I didnt go for something as cliche as a Desire......
    The Samsung Galaxy is getting fairly serious reviews too.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Did you get iphone4? Due upgrade later in year, have 3GS iphone. Heard some serious issues regarding reception and that sim is only compatible with iphone 4? Is this the case? Know the ipad sim wont fit in phones but iphone4 sim? Only heard that today and wasnt sure as hadnt heard before. Always have a spare charged phone in car just in case
    WWS - Remembered Always

Thanks
    Yeah Billy, got the 4. The reception issues seem to be only with certain "3" customers. o2 and Voda seem fine. I went with 3, but so far the signal has been perfect. BTW its not phone signal, thats fine. The issue is with 3g reception. The phone uses a micro sim. Its a little bit smaller than a regular sim. I think the ipad uses the same type. It would make it hard to swap phones over alright. Its not like you can store a spare battery.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Cheers for that. Battery life not great on the iphone3, about a day with moderate use and nearly all extras turned off, location services, screen brightness right down. Texting uses a lot of power as screen on for longest unless using web. Prob same with the 4 so turn screen brightness down (turn back up if in bright sunlight only) and location services off and manual get emails rather than let it fetch them every 15mins or push to phone.
    WWS - Remembered Always

Thanks
    This one is for you kdjac.

Warning, Explicit content!!!!

Thanks
    This one is for you kdjac.

Warning, Explicit content!!!!

thats deadly can you bluetooth it to me at the next home game

Thanks
    thats deadly can you bluetooth it to me at the next home game
    Nicely done

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    went out tonight with the plan to buy the iphone 4 but came home with the samsung galaxy. What a blower.

Now to get back to Jims idea for the thread. Anybody got any good apps for me to download beacuse i dont plan on ever leaving this baby down

Thanks
    Deffo get jelly sms to send your webtexts from your phone. Help keep that oul bill down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    went out tonight with the plan to buy the iphone 4 but came home with the samsung galaxy. What a blower.

Now to get back to Jims idea for the thread. Anybody got any good apps for me to download beacuse i dont plan on ever leaving this baby down
    Alledgley the best phone ever made.

Ustream app

Thanks

Ustream app
    Meant to ask you that, which is the ustream app? There are a good few of them on itunes.

Thanks

Ustream app
    done
    Android store is something else. Literally an app for anything u want and free too

Thanks
    done
    Android store is something else. Literally an app for anything u want and free too
    Aww dont tell Jim that The free google maps/streetview thing is very cool.

jim on itunes its called ustream app, on android its just either installing flash (oh look android can run flash) or getting a specific app.

Thanks
    Deffo get jelly sms to send your webtexts from your phone. Help keep that oul bill down.
    called cabbage i think on the android. dead handy alright

Thanks
    Aww dont tell Jim that The free google maps/streetview thing is very cool.

jim on itunes its called ustream app, on android its just either installing flash (oh look android can run flash) or getting a specific app.
    lol, you are the one hung up on this whole iphone issue, no-one else.
    Saintly, i had a go of that phone, my sis got one. Its pretty cool. I like the way the wall[paper crop fits your multiple homescreens. Thats a nice touch.

Thanks
    called cabbage i think on the android. dead handy alright
    Cabbage is another one. There is eirtext too. They all do the same job. Very handy to have.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Help keep that oul bill down.
    You raise a point there that interests me on iPhones - cost and value for money.

Now I may be mistaken, but I believe your options when buying one of these things range from:

1) Paying €250-350 for one and using whatever price plan you like.
    2) Paying €100-200 for one on a medium priced montly commitment €40-€60.
    3) Getting it cheap or free on a minimum monthly commitment of €70+.

No issue with people spending their money on whatever they like - it's their own business. However I really can't see how the difference between what this will cost you per year over say a standard smartphone is justified for most people. Sure you can do more on an iPhone but when you can get say a Nokia E52 for €29 on a €20-25 per month all inclusive plan that has web, video, radio, music, email, IM, maps, Microsoft Office, a great battery, plenty of apps and heaps of other shit, I just don't see that the iPhone is worth paying at least twice as much for every month and a lot more initially. All the more so when so much of the iPhone's reputed advanatges are web based and your mobile download speeds are no better for an iPhone than anything else that can connect to 3G (practically every phone at this stage). I know of people that genuinely need the features it offers for work etc but for most people I'd put them down as an expensive toy. Which is their privilege of course but when you consider there's probably a week's holiday in the price difference that's a big price to be paying for non-essential features for me.

New Signing
    Thanks
    Video already posted by kdjac, never seen it on my iPod.
    Last edited by JimboTheSaint; 17th August 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    You raise a point there that interests me on iPhones - cost and value for money.

Now I may be mistaken, but I believe your options when buying one of these things range from:

1) Paying €250-350 for one and using whatever price plan you like.
    2) Paying €100-200 for one on a medium priced montly commitment €40-€60.
    3) Getting it cheap or free on a minimum monthly commitment of €70+.

No issue with people spending their money on whatever they like - it's their own business. However I really can't see how the difference between what this will cost you per year over say a standard smartphone is justified for most people. Sure you can do more on an iPhone but when you can get say a Nokia E52 for €29 on a €20-25 per month all inclusive plan that has web, video, radio, music, email, IM, maps, Microsoft Office, a great battery, plenty of apps and heaps of other shit, I just don't see that the iPhone is worth paying at least twice as much for every month and a lot more initially. All the more so when so much of the iPhone's reputed advanatges are web based and your mobile download speeds are no better for an iPhone than anything else that can connect to 3G (practically every phone at this stage). I know of people that genuinely need the features it offers for work etc but for most people I'd put them down as an expensive toy. Which is their privilege of course but when you consider there's probably a week's holiday in the price difference that's a big price to be paying for non-essential features for me.
    Your a bit off with the numbers Gaz, but in an unimportant way with regards your point. Yes you can get the e52 on a low enough contract, and yes, its a great phone, my da has one and i really like it. Business phones (proper ones) esp nokia's are always good, but all the operaters now have designated some phones as "smartphones" and you can only get these with smartphone monthly tariffs. So the iphone, HTC desire, x10, Galaxy, palm pre plus, they all are on these dearer rates with a 2 gig data allowance. These start off at 40 a month on all the networks more or less. So, once you have paid the subsidised rate for the phone, the bill will be the same regargless of the handset you buy (like for like) within that smartphone range. There are quite a lot of phones not designated smartphones and available on the slightly lower tariff's. Other than the e52, none of them would be for me.
    The phone is completely a toy for me, but as i said, given that I do use internet (quite heavily) the teriff for me would be the same regardless of the handset i went for.

Thanks
    just on the apps. Here's a few i found.

Google sky map. One of my favorites. Point your phone at the sky and it tells you exactly what planets/stars constellations your looking at. Also a cool search mode. If you want to find mars it'll guide your phone to it . Could literally sit out the back all night with it.

Scanner radio. Listen to emergency services all over the world. The one for the Las Vegas strip is very good

bump. Transfer pretty much any data between phones by bumping them off each other. Like bluetooth but with a wow factor

blinx beat. get the days best videos to your phone whenever you want

imdb. good fro keeping track of upcoming films or tv shows.

sms swype. just run your finger along the touch keyboard to make words. It predicts what you meant to say...much handier than the awkward touch texting

sound greanade. Pointless but good fun. Emits a piercing noise that does your head in after a few mins buit impossible to tell where its coming from. perfect for the doctors waiting room or the bus.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 663 Posts

Nokia 5230

Anyone got one or had one? Thinking of getting one this week so wanted some opinions. From what I saw on youtube it looks good and has everything I want from a mobile (3G, MP3, Radio, 3.5mm Earphone Socket, Facebook App.)

+ Reply to Thread