+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gardaí in Mayo.

Peter Carpenter NoAlCalcioModerno's Avatar
    Thanks

Gardaí in Mayo.

Gardaí (police) in Co Mayo, Ireland have been recorded talking about threatening to rape a woman in their custody. The Gardaí, including a Sergeant, have been prominent in policing protests against Shell’s inland gas refinery.

Garda A: “Who is them two lassies, do you know the two of them?
    Garda B: “I don’t know the second one, the first one is (name) with blonde hair.”
    Unidentified garda: “She was up on the tractor earlier on.”
    Garda A: “It’d do no harm to get the second one’s name again?
    Garda B: “She’s some Yank. I don’t know who the f**k she is.”
    Unidentified garda : “ Is she a Yank?
    Garda B: “It sounds like it, it sounds like it, the accent anyway
    Unidentified garda: “Sounds like a Yank or Canadian.”
    Garda B: “Well whoever, we’ll get Immigration f**king on her.”
    Garda A: “She refused to give her name and address and told she would be arrested.”
    Garda B : “.......and deported”
    Garda A: “And raped.”
    Garda B: “I wouldn’t go that far yet….. She was living down at that crusty camp, f**k sake, you never know what you might get.”
    (Laughter)
    Garda A: “Give me your name and address or I’ll rape you.”
    (Laughter)
    Unidentified garda: “Hold it there, give me your name and address there, I’ll rape you.”
    (Laughter)
    Garda A : “Or I’ll definitely rape you.”
    Unidentified garda: “Will you be me friend on Facebook?”

via Irish Times:

The Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission and a senior Garda officer are holding separate investigations into the treatment of two women who were arrested during protests over the Corrib gas project late last week.
    THE SEI.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Richard keyes reckons garda a would smash it

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    No excusing it but it should be pointed out the women weren't in the car with them when they were making those comments so they weren't actually said to them.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 638 Posts
    were the rape comments not made when they were in the station ?
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaintsno.12 View Post
    were the rape comments not made when they were in the station ?

No in the car on the way to the station. Big deal over nothing imo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 2,599 Posts
    Not really. Cops come across as thick cunts and I wouldn't want any of them dealing with a rape case involving someone I knew. There's nothing remotely funny about rape, and these thicks should know better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Not really. Cops come across as thick cunts and I wouldn't want any of them dealing with a rape case involving someone I knew. There's nothing remotely funny about rape, and these thicks should know better
    Nothing funny about rape alright but nobody was raped. Everybody laughs and jokes about shit they shouldn't in private. Stupid thing to say but no way should it be getting the media attention it is.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Nothing funny about rape alright but nobody was raped. Everybody laughs and jokes about shit they shouldn't in private. Stupid thing to say but no way should it be getting the media attention it is.
    If a woman is raped, she doesn't go to "everybody" about it, she goes to the cops. How they behave in private away from public scrutiny shows their real attitudes. In this instance, as far as they're concerned rape is a laughing matter. No wonder the majority of rapes aren't reported, why would a woman bother, especially after this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Nightdub For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Put it this way.

Imagine being in Temple Bar on a night out.

A female Garda stops you 'Whats your name?'

And you joke with the lads 'Jaysus i'd rape her' or 'id yourself or i'll rape you'

I can guarentee you'd end up in a cell, court and worse.

There's no justification for what these lads said, whether they had intent or not. As doc pointed out. Why would a woman report a rape after seeing how this lot behaved in uniform?

They should be sacked IF there ever indentified and worse if there are grounds. Although i've a funny feeling this will get swept under the carpet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner View Post
    Put it this way.

Imagine being in Temple Bar on a night out.

A female Garda stops you 'Whats your name?'

And you joke with the lads 'Jaysus i'd rape her' or 'id yourself or i'll rape you'

I can guarentee you'd end up in a cell, court and worse.

There's no justification for what these lads said, whether they had intent or not. As doc pointed out. Why would a woman report a rape after seeing how this lot behaved in uniform?

They should be sacked IF there ever indentified and worse if there are grounds. Although i've a funny feeling this will get swept under the carpet.
    or imagine you said it to your mate in a pub in temple bar with nobody listening. Would you be locked up then. No...

Its like saying anybody who tells a micheal jackson joke supports child abuse.
    The women in question were obviously so worried about this affecting rape victims that they ran to the media with it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 451 Posts
    hahahahaha legends
    - Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    or imagine you said it to your mate in a pub in temple bar with nobody listening. Would you be locked up then. No...
    Theres a big difference these lads are on duty and meant to be public protectors. If there stupid enough to get caught doing this in their uniform they should be punished.

Again as Doc pointed out
    No wonder the majority of rapes aren't reported, why would a woman bother, especially after this.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thought it was funny myself- had hundreds of joke conversations along those lines- not a big deal and anyone reading into it is being oversensitive.

Time and place- I'd call my brother retarded if he did something stupid, but wouldn't dare say it to or in the presence of my friend who has a brother with anmental disability.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiner View Post
    Theres a big difference these lads are on duty and meant to be public protectors. If there stupid enough to get caught doing this in their uniform they should be punished.

Again as Doc pointed out
    but they said it amongst themselves in what they obviously thought was a private environment (their car). If they said it to the women then they rightly should be lynched, but have you said nothing in the past 24 hours that if someone had have been listening they would have been horrified?
    I know I have. Probably at least 20 times in work tonight.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    but they said it amongst themselves in what they obviously thought was a private environment (their car). If they said it to the women then they rightly should be lynched, but have you said nothing in the past 24 hours that if someone had have been listening they would have been horrified?
    I know I have. Probably at least 20 times in work tonight.
    I can understand your point and no not that I recall. Then again if I did and if I was caught i'd have to face the music and take it like a man.

And this is no different, these lads are wearing uniforms, representing the state, guardians of the people, and again as Dr Nightdub pointed out
    No wonder the majority of rapes aren't reported, why would a woman bother, especially after this.
    . It was irresponsible and if you were a young girl who has or in the future gets raped in Mayo (godforbid) would you feel comfortable going to these lads? I highly doubt it.

This why I feel they should be disciplined at the very least if not more should the law allow this.

And they're being investigated thats a start at least.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0405/corrib.html
    Last edited by augustiner; 6th April 2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Spelling error well one at least

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Thought it was funny myself
    Really? Jaysus...

BTW saintly, the women involved didn't know about it. A third party taped it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    New government rows back on election promise to burn bondholders and 'save the natio'. Two bored cops taking the piss grabs more headlines.

Will you be my friend on facebook! Lol.

Thanks
    Really? Jaysus...

BTW saintly, the women involved didn't know about it. A third party taped it
    Nope. the video camera belonged to the women and was taken off them and put into another cop car. When it was returned to them they noticed the recording

21. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    New government rows back on election promise to burn bondholders and 'save the natio'. Two bored cops taking the piss grabs more headlines.
    In fairness Alan you could trivialize anything on those grounds. Had the coppers actually grabbed them into the back of the squad car and raped them it'd be a minor story compared to the Tsunami or Libya.

I totally accept they were taking the piss and don't accept their comments necessarily mean they'd have a dismissive attititude to a woman reporting sexual abuse. However there are certain jobs where you just can't say certain things, privately or not, jokingly or not and a Garda is one of them. They may not have realised they were being recorded but they were on duty. On the full tape apparently another Garda can be heard asking to mind their tone and yet they carried on - that will go against them as they can't claim it never occured to them that their comments might be inappropriate, they were specifically advised by a colleague that they were.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 638 Posts
    Will you be my friend on facebook! Lol.
    had a proper LOL moment when i read that. Quality
    Cyril The Judas

Thanks
    If we have a hot burds thread we are sexist. If anyone posts 'I would' are they condoning consentual sex or rape? If someone post shurup ya fat cunt are they bullying fat people? Nothing in my opinion is offensive if its spoke about in an enviroment where its not going to offend anyone present. There's not a person alive who not offended someone not in their company. Private is private. If as you say gaz they did offend someone in the company maybe there is grounds to take it further but jaysus we are gone pc mad.
    Last edited by AlanMc; 6th April 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If we have a hot burds thread we are sexist.
    its not sexist to find women sexually attractive

If anyone posts 'I would' are they condoning consentual sex or rape?
    Can't speak for others but I've nver said I would meaning "I'd rape her". Pretty sure most mean they'd love a ride off her. Likewise, if the gops had've said "I'd ride her that blonde one", it wouldn't cause anywhere near the reaction of the word rape

Oh adn they should be sacked for being too thick to not even check the recorder was turned off...

Thanks
    Oh adn they should be sacked for being too thick to not even check the recorder was turned off...
    Thats the crux of it. They should and will be sacked for their stupidity, and thats only right. But the level of vilification has surpassed that of most actual rapists.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    its not sexist to find women sexually attractive...
    Lads in that accounts firm (pwc?) may have a different view on rating wimmen...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Lads in that accounts firm (pwc?) may have a different view on rating wimmen...
    Only 2 blokes sacked; lad in HR who shouldn't have been sharing confidential files, and the lad who sent it out of the company (think he said something like 'new clunge in here'). Others just got ticking off

Thanks
    Only 2 blokes sacked; lad in HR who shouldn't have been sharing confidential files, and the lad who sent it out of the company (think he said something like 'new clunge in here'). Others just got ticking off
    So the hot burds thread is sexist? Must be if two blokes got sacked for rating wimmen.

Patrons
    Thanks
    If as you say gaz they did offend someone in the company maybe there is grounds to take it further but jaysus we are gone pc mad.
    It's not just or even primarily about these two women Alan. Currently less than 1 in 5 rapes and sexual assaults in Ireland are reported to Gardai. Of those that are reported, less than 1 in 10 rapes and sexual assaults result in convictions. With figures like that the Gardai, and that's EVERY member, have a responsibility to reassure the public that their claims will be taken seriously. Gardai joking about rape while on duty seriously damages public credibility that will be the case. There will be women raped or sexually abused in Ireland (rural Ireland especially) who won't bother reporting what happened to them because they'll perceive this attitude as pervasive in the Gardai. That's a very serious matter and certainly not just 'PC gone mad' as you put it.

As said, there's little point comparing what we say on here to what a Garda says on duty. There are certain jobs where you have to deal with vulnerable and sensitive issues where you just can't say or do certain things and Garda is one of them. And they're very specifically told this in their training and reminded of it when they take their oath of service (or whatever it's called).

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    So the hot burds thread is sexist? Must be if two blokes got sacked for rating wimmen.
    Did you read my post? One lad was sacked because he works in HR and shared (parts of) confidnetial files with people he shouldn't. The other was sacked for sending the same files outside the company

There were lads on that e-mail who rated the burds, and none of them were sacked

Thanks
    Did you read my post? One lad was sacked because he works in HR and shared (parts of) confidnetial files with people he shouldn't. The other was sacked for sending the same files outside the company

There were lads on that e-mail who rated the burds, and none of them were sacked
    Right. So obviously then it is ok to rate wimmen. New hot burds thread please hano!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Gaz there's hundreds of people DYING on the roads but every day of the week cops break the rules of the road. Should they be sacked? This notion of cops being whiter than white is flawed. They are human same as the rest of us. Warts an all. Rediculous over reaction here to a private conversation. As for the cops attitude being a factor in reporting a rape I'd say the shame attached due to the fact most are perped by a family member is a bigger issue. Most rational people should see this for what it is. A bit of crude banter among grown men, nothing more.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread