+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: The Coaching Thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Just wondering if any of the heads on here have any actual knowledge of the thinking behind coaching goalkeepers on the continent? Seems to be fairly clear that they're instructed to punch any cross that they're anything less than 100% certain they can catch cleanly. Anyone know if there's some statistical reasoning behind this (as with zonal marking at set pieces etc)?

No idea Gaz. Only Goalkeeping badge I have is the intro.
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    Training plans for Barca B from Guardiola & Vilanova from 2007/08

No idea if they're any use to you. just saw them linked online

http://www.scribd.com/doc/95200012/P...-F-C-Barcelona
    "We've seen you come, we'll see you go"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kilnamanagh U15's after been fucked out of the league

only have a facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...13253898771302
    Dreamed a dream.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Good initiative by Bohemians this week - they have got their U15 & U17 teams and have them in on 2 weeks of elite training.

Lads are participating full time and Bohs are providing educational and physical classes such as food and nutrition, strength and conditioning, spinning classes, core strength, motivation, plyometrics, functional movements, fitness tests, pool sessions, video analysis.

They are providing homework/study time and resources for the participants as well as all food for breaks and lunch.

This is in addition to the normal skills and football "physical" sessions and goes on for approx 7-8 hours a day.

No cost to players or parents and done 100% from people donating their time, some local businesses (superquinn) donating food and drinks, and I presume it DCU providing facilities.

great initiative - well done to all involved - I am sure it is a great experience for the kids!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,562 Times in 866 Posts
    Bohs also going to the ndsl. At last an loi club showing forward thinking

Noel Mernagh
    Thanks
    Any one have any decent drills for a footy camp? Doing one this week, have had the same kids plenty of times before and want to mix it up a bit? group is 9-11

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintly View Post
    Bohs also going to the ndsl. At last an loi club showing forward thinking
    All ages or 17's/18's?

Administrator
    Thanks
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/kilnma...urce=shortlink

What a bleeding thing for the DDSL guy to say.

Ricky O'Flaherty
    Thanks
    Mad professional from a spokesman

It was changed due to a lad living in Cork signing for Crumlin United. While it (the meeting) was going on, the Dublin people were sitting in the pub having their pints while the culchies caught them on the hop.
    :/ Fucking jokeshop. Schoolboy football is all dick-measuring from most anyway. Lads who couldn't give a fuck about the young fellas looking to make themselves seem important in the game and score free tickets to Ireland games.

That 49km rule in my opinion, if not a bit specific, is a good one. Madness lads from all over the country training and playing in Dublin. Had an offer when I was younger to play for a team in Waterford and they'd pay travel expenses to come down once/twice during the week for training and for the weekend game, and then get me a trial with Waterford United. At underage level like. It's madness.

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Agree that what was said was most inappropriate: The individual who said it has been involved in football all his life and has given more to the game than most. Also agree that there are many in the schoolboy game who are in it for their own ends, however there are many many more who are not.
    The issue around the 49 K rule in relation to the team removed out of the game is the lack of consistency by the powers that be. Many other "big name" clubs flout this rule with no action taken against them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donohoe'd and Dusted View Post
    All ages or 17's/18's?
    All ages afaik

13. The Following User Says Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnylowry View Post
    Agree that what was said was most inappropriate: The individual who said it has been involved in football all his life and has given more to the game than most. Also agree that there are many in the schoolboy game who are in it for their own ends, however there are many many more who are not.
    The issue around the 49 K rule in relation to the team removed out of the game is the lack of consistency by the powers that be. Many other "big name" clubs flout this rule with no action taken against them.

Should be a lot lower than 49k- imagine travelling 49k twice a week for training and matches. Rediculous.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolan View Post
    Should be a lot lower than 49k- imagine travelling 49k twice a week for training and matches. Rediculous.
    you could drive 49k in 40 mins. It could take you the same to drive ten miles in rush hour in Dublin.

Any rule that restricts freedom of movement is wrong and would be laughed at in any court it was taken too.

Pat Kelch
    Thanks
    I know of a 14 year old who travels 3 times a week from the west of Ireland to Dublin to play in the DDSL premier league. A mate of mine (who son plays on the same team as his asked father why. He was told 'its an investment'..... Another player (same age group) has moved house - with his family - to be inside 49km. I used to think we should have a 'parocial' style set up in schoolboy football. Now I just think we should just leave them to it. If parents want to put that type of pressure on their kids (or vice-versa) then let them. Its madness IMO. It's almost true to say that no Irish kid will make a lucrative living in the UK from football. Recent trend has shown that kids might be better off trying to make it in the LOI before moving over.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Any rule that restricts freedom of movement is wrong and would be laughed at in any court it was taken too.
    Not necessarily - there have been instances where the courts have told sports to sort out disputes like this themselves.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    I know of a 14 year old who travels 3 times a week from the west of Ireland to Dublin to play in the DDSL premier league. A mate of mine (who son plays on the same team as his asked father why. He was told 'its an investment'..... Another player (same age group) has moved house - with his family - to be inside 49km. I used to think we should have a 'parocial' style set up in schoolboy football. Now I just think we should just leave them to it. If parents want to put that type of pressure on their kids (or vice-versa) then let them. Its madness IMO. It's almost true to say that no Irish kid will make a lucrative living in the UK from football. Recent trend has shown that kids might be better off trying to make it in the LOI before moving over.
    That's exactly my thinking. I'm totally against anybody travelling long distances with their kids to play ball but its totally up to them. There entitled to do what they want with their children

Paul McGrath
    Thanks
    That's exactly my thinking. I'm totally against anybody travelling long distances with their kids to play ball but its totally up to them. There entitled to do what they want with their children
    Within reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oleguer presas i renom View Post
    Within reason.
    Within the law

Administrator
    Thanks
    Couple of bits from teh FAI

New Dutch high performance director with quality comedy name

http://www.fai.ie/international/1031...-director.html

Link up with LMA in England for courses

http://www.fai.ie/football-services-...anagement.html

Thanks
    For anyone using the dropbox I set up I've just added a rake of stuff. Over 100 drill sheets from the barca academy and two books on complete conditioning with a ball plus lots more.

Enjoy and remember. Take nothing out of the dropbox or we all lose it. You can copy and paste rather than dragging files off

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AlanMc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Coaching Pints tomorrow night in the kestrel at half 8 if anyone is about. Lots of top coaches and Hano going. All welcome.

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    How Belgium built their golden generation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27827569
    Cyril The Judas

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    Not sure I buy into this. I think it remains to be seen if they can continue to produce that level of player over a longer term or whether it's just a bunch of players have come along at the same time. Looking down through that it reminds me of the Ireland teams of the late 80s that had a good core of players from Liverpool, Arsenal, United etc (Beglin, Lawrenson, Whelan, Stapleton, Quinn, Brady, Moran, McGrath, Staunton) and were then able to recruit the likes of Aldridge and Houghton and Townsend in to strengthen that. I don't think that was down to any great plan. What did help though was that the English scouts saw Ireland as a real option for getting talent and playing in the top teams really developed those players to be ready for international football. Another factor here is the Sky Sports mentality which tells us that because they play in the Premiership the must be brilliant which has been disproved by England's "Golden Generation" turning out to be pretty crap once placed against the world's best.

Thanks
    So many people are missing the point here.

Belgium put in place a development plan years ago and as a result they have produced some of the best footballers they have ever produced. Never before have they had so many players playing in the top 3 or 4 leagues in Europe and many for the top teams. Its that simple, all this golden generation bollox is media driven. Anybody who is interested in the game in depth know that what they have done has to be admired. As usual with anything that is successful, there are loads of people who are now dying for them to fail. Twitter was awash the other night with people lording over their poor first half display and then they went missing when they won 2 1. No attempt whatsoever to credit Belgium with what they have achieved in such a short space off time

As for their world cup chances, I don't know anybody who tipped Belgium to win the World cup, I heard them called dark horses, value bets, outsiders etc. Some people are going on like they were priced up as odds on favourites.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saintly For This Useful Post:

John McDonnell
    Thanks
    I just think the media is falling into the trap of hailing these guys as superstars just because they play in the English League. In reality when you look at the team the real world class players I can see are Kompany and Hazard. Mignolet, Lukaku, Mirallas, Chadli, Fellaini etc all are decent players at Premier League level but are not superstars. England have far more established Premier League players yet nobody is saying England have a wonderful coaching system.
    The reality is Argentina, Spain, Italy, France Brazil and Germany generally provide the winners and semi-finalists of the World Cup and very few of their players ply their trade in the Premiership. I wouldn't be expecting any team made up of players from the Premiership to get beyond the quarter finals. While this would be a good achievement for a country that size it's not something they (and many countries that size including Ireland) haven't done before.
    I may be wrong but this may be another case of the media bigging up the premiership with Belgium being the new hope now that they're bored with being wrong about England.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eskersaint For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think saintly is right that their turnaround from last qualifying for anything in 2002 to easily qualifying for this one shouldn't be sniffed at. However many seem to forget that Belgium have had great teams before. In the 80s they were in alst 12 in World Cup and then finished 3rd. They were runners up in the European Championship. Anderlecht have won 3 European trophies. Brugge have reached finals. This team will have to do a fair bit more before they can call themselves the best Belgian team of all time

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    I think for countries with relatively small populations like Belgium to make a real impact in major tournaments, it takes both a properly developed coaching system and an above average number of naturally gifted players to come along at once. We've seen over the last 30-odd years the likes of Denmark, Croatia, Portugal and the Czechs briefly threatening the established order but in the end the law of averages kicks in and they can't produce enough Laudrups, Sukers, Figos or Nedveds to keep them among the elite. That's not because their coaching suddenly turns crap or gets outdated, just an inevitable statistical consequence of not having the numbers that the likes of Brazil, Germany, Italy etc do. That still places them a league above the likes of us that have neither the population or the coaching structure in place to get the best out of any 'golden generation' that happens to come along.
    We are at war with Eurasia. We've always been at war with Eurasia.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 654 Posts
    Cyril The Judas

+ Reply to Thread