+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 471 Posts

Stephen Ireland

On-loan Newcastle midfielder Stephen Ireland has revealed how Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier told him to "stay at home" as he was forced out of Villa Park.

Ireland, who could make his Newcastle debut against Everton at the weekend if he can shake off a thigh injury, was signed for Villa by Martin O'Neill but a day later the manager quit the club.

Ireland featured very rarely under new boss Houllier, making just eight starts in all competitions, and speaking in an interview with French football magazine So Foot, he hit back at the Frenchman.

"After 15 matches on the bench Houllier told me to stay at home," Ireland said. "I trained during the week and on Fridays he told me, 'no point you coming, you are not in the team'.

"Yet I was the best player in training. It was my team that won in every session. One of the few times he played me, we drew 0-0 at Chelsea and I ended up man of the match.

"Apparently that didn't matter to him. I was stuck with being paid for doing nothing at all. I was left to myself. I had to pay out of my own pocket for medical treatment. Can you believe that?"

Ireland was also unhappy at being asked to move to Birmingham, which he branded "a c**p city".

"Houllier asked me to come and live in Birmingham because it was taking me 75 minutes to come to training. But there were 15 players in the same position as me. Some came from London and took more than two hours, but he only asked me to move," Ireland added.

"For a start, Birmingham is a c**p city and I wasn't going to make the effort, especially as I wasn't playing. Might as well be in Manchester if I had to stay home on match days.

Apparently that's only the half of it, He went on to explain Irish economics to the avid French readers and then said he'd rather shoot himself in the head that live in cork! They'll rip his head off down there!

To think 2 years ago we were reliably informed by certain pundits that this basket case and a fat player who has disappeared were the saviours of Irish football!
    I used to know it all, Now I'm going to school.

Thanks
    The rest...

Linky

Ireland is desperate to play this weekend, adding: "I just want to play and have a manager who really wants me for once.

"I have no idea at the moment who I will be playing for next season. My future is unclear."

Ireland retired from international football with his native Republic of Ireland four years ago, but he has no regrets and insists he feels nothing for his homeland, or even his hometown of Cork.

"I don't give a damn for Ireland. Live in Cork? I'd rather shoot myself. I prefer Los Angeles," he said.
    And he admits he is not going to be playing for his country again in the future.

"Even at youth level, it p****d me off to go there," he said.

"Everyone came from Dublin. I was the only guy from Cork. I had to take the train on my own, pay for a taxi, there was no hotel, no grub. It was handled so amateurishly.

"National teams don't interest me. I have more to do than go off for three days to play Andorra. And when you are Irish, you are well aware you'll never win the World Cup.

"I feel nothing for the team. I absolutely don't feel guilty when they lose and, when they win, at no time do I think I could have been there.

"Even if Ireland had qualified for the World Cup, I wouldn't have gone. People call for my return, but I have only played five times for them. The national team and me are ancient history."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdagym For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,727 Posts
    I now hope we get to play Cork in the Cup

Live in Cork? I'd rather shoot myself

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Most of what he said there is true right? ,I dont see whats so controversial about these latest comments .He doesn't want to play for his country still or live in Cork,FAI are cunts ,Brum is a kip ,City has lost its Soul and Houllier didnt buy him so didn't want him,all true .His misfortune here is that he never signed with Celtic or Man U, he'd be looked on more favorably by the hypocrites of this country if he had .

Thanks
    Nobody said he is lying, he is just not being very nice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    He's now saying he was misquoted

Thanks
    When was he ever nice?he's a cocky little shit ,but he grates so many because he spurned playing for Ireland .It's surprising how much attention he still gets really. If say Keith Fahey said the same things today his comments wouldnt have made it past the Watford gap.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Dont talk shite, if any player had've made those comments they'd have been news

but none of them would, except for the loopjob Ireland

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SVM View Post
    When was he ever nice?he's a cocky little shit ,but he grates so many because he spurned playing for Ireland .It's surprising how much attention he still gets really. If say Keith Fahey said the same things today his comments wouldnt have made it past the Watford gap.
    I honestly don't know what you are getting at. Your two posts are conflicting. You are saying he is just telling the truth, then you are saying he is a cocky little shit. I never said he was normally nice either, but you said you couldn't se the controversy. Everyone living in Brum knows it's a kip, it's just not nice to say it.

Thanks
    the only thing new in that article that he hasn't said already numerous times was "Live in Cork? I'd rather shoot myself" and possible saying Brum was a crap city",its a nothing story ,some off the cuff remarks being blown up by the media as usual and most likely taken out of context ,at this stage he's fairly irrelevant character ,but the Black and Tans have a better rep over here than that soft in the head lad .

Administrator
    Thanks
    the only thing new in that article that he hasn't said already numerous times was "Live in Cork? I'd rather shoot myself" and possible saying Brum was a crap city",its a nothing story ,some off the cuff remarks being blown up by the media as usual and most likely taken out of context ,at this stage he's fairly irrelevant character ,but the Black and Tans have a better rep over here than that soft in the head lad .
    English media ran it first. Just like the ran stories when random Eastern Europeans/Africans/Brazilians slate random shitty English towns.

Irish media would run a story if any irish player broke a nail ffs

Get over the Man city (and those connected) inferiority complex

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You may as well ask the Queen to get over her royalty.

Ricky O'Flaherty Rathcoolesaint's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd love if we signed him. Imagine Muller and Ireland in midfield

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathcoolesaint View Post
    Do that and we should sign gorgeous George to and have a completely bonkers midfield.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Charlie Sheen adn Jordan up front (gufaw gufaw)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    whats this got to do with Man City and what inferiority complex are you referring to dont be making assumptions Dodge .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not realated to you being a City fan. Some pretty big assumptions being mare allround so

His misfortune here is that he never signed with Celtic or Man U, he'd be looked on more favorably by the hypocrites of this country if he had .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,039 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathcoolesaint View Post
    Dont think hes good enough for pats tbh.

Thanks
    hes an arrogant dickhead not worth talking about him

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saints alive ? View Post
    hes an arrogant dickhead not worth talking about him
    Yet you do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Yet you do.
    did not realised you liked him that much

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saints alive ? View Post
    did not realised you liked him that much
    Can't stand him. I just find it funny when people go to the effort of saying someone is not worth talking about. It wasn't a dig at you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdagym View Post
    Can't stand him. I just find it funny when people go to the effort of saying someone is not worth talking about. It wasn't a dig at you.
    no worries its only a bit of banter

26. The Following User Says Thank You to saints alive ? For This Useful Post:

Patrons
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952 Times in 814 Posts
    'Id rather shoot myself than live in Cork'

Maybe he does have some sense after all
    And Brian Kerr is in tears.

Martin Russell
    Thanks
    He was interviewed on Newstalk this afternoon. You wouldn't want to be standing behind him. The amount of back peddling was fierce. Seemingly, he was stiched up. Why can't these langers keep their opinions to themselves? It's not like anyone else gives a fuck.

+ Reply to Thread